Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

Unless his form drastically falls off a cliff later this year then he absolutely goes on for another year. We’ve had a huge vacuum of leadership and experience lately and we still need blokes like him to drive elite standards.

My memory isn’t the greatest at times but I feel he’s been better this year than last.

Yep. Will only become more usefull as others grow and take responsibility off him. and become a well drilled well oiled, and confident group, . not less.

Every possibility to still be playing an ever diminished, but nonetheless highly effective role ala James Kelly, over the next 3, even 4 years.

You honestly think he has 3-4 years left in him? I mean maybe he goes around again. But 3-4 more? Not a chance

3 Likes

He’d struggle to be a runner let alone a player in 4 years time.

1 Like

See him at the end of the game was still telling his team mates where we can improve even tho we won the game.

The bloke loves it and will make a pretty good coach hope he stays on as an assistant.

2 Likes

Nup. He will have stopped to a walk by then.

1 Like

Mate I love BJ, but he’s not going on for another 3-4

He has 1 more year max imo

Plays in 2019 and then transisition to coaching in 2020

I don’t listen to RSN, but do any other players analyse the game as well as him? I love those 20 min chats each week that the podcast puts up, he’s knowledgeable and forthright about the way we perform and the state of the game in general. Without ever having met him, I genuinely think he’d be a top guy to know.

3 Likes

He’s a coach in waiting bit like Steve Johnson

i can’t recall stevie j ever speaking about the game.

1 Like

Listen to his chat on RSN this week.

Intriguing stuff as usual.

He said in hindsight he shouldn’t have played the 3 games in 10 days earlier on in the year, he probably should have rested the Carlton game. He said he felt it impacted his next 4-5 weeks until the bye rounds.

TBH - I would rather have BJ in our backline than Jarrad McVeigh next year.

3 Likes

I agree with this. I’m 50/50 about whether I want BJ to go on. If he does go on, he needs to rest more and even play VFL sometimes if his form warrants it.

I don’t think he needs to play VFL necessarily next year, he just needs to play 15 games and rest. Ok if he drops off a cliff he can play VFL or retire and take a quasi coaching role but I don’t see that happening for him next year. He has looked slow for 4 years, his game is all about his decision making and his kicking if they are on he doesn’t look slow.

4 Likes

Have you asked him if he wants to be your friend, yet?

2 Likes

This won’t be a popular view but I don’t think BJ should be in our best 22 next year. We have too many good defenders coming through the ranks and we don’t need another slow mid. Hopefully, there is a depth/development role for him where he plays a mix of AFL and VFL.

I’m also against him taking an assistant coaching role at EFC. We need to bring in assistant coaches from successful clubs that play a modern brand of football.

BJ has been massive for our club and deserves a graceful exit but adopting a sentimental ‘promote from within’ mentality won’t win us premierships.

3 Likes

I’m kinda shy, and might make a fool of myself with this man crush and all. One day.

3 Likes

There is nothing sentimental in my view that he would make an excellent coach. He is presently playing so what part of that isn’t part of modern footy? The obsession with finding someone from a successful club, can get in the way of finding the best person for a position. BJ strikes me as the ultimate club man, he will know when he is n longer up to scratch and when to pull the pin. No doubt he and the club will sit down at the end of the season and examine where he fits into the overall scheme of things, as opposed to long term plans, which may not necessarily be the same thing.

Happy for him to go around again as long as he is happy with resting 1 in 5. He has been good this year apart from a few howler games. He just needs to come to terms with not being able to do what he used to. He is still a smart player with a great kick!

I want to be his friend, too. Ask him for me.

3 Likes