Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

The issue I have is we keep him on for his experience and that chance to get him a flag yet against a really good side he’s pace and flexibility will let us down. High stakes game the opposition will target him and make him accountable just like Carlton did and he doesn’t have the flexibility like Burgoyne to play mid or forward. A game can slip within a qtr if they get on top of him. He’s just a passenger when the going gets tough.

Time’s up Brendon. Do the right thing and make the call near the end of the year.

1 Like

Looked 100 years old in the last 10 minutes :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Though he had an ok game myself.

7 Likes

Agree, thought he was pretty good overall. Was absolutely cooked at the end is all.

That’s ok though. He wasn’t the lone ranger. That was a red hot game.

Everyone was cooked at the end. Still think he has a bit to offer

1 Like

I’d consider resting him at times especially in the bigger grounds. maybe bring in Ridley or Francis in his stead vs the Pies.

Can still take an overhead grab

I liked your post.

I’d let him have another year, 10-15 games part-time coaching type of deal; no away games no 6 day breaks that kind of stuff, I’d even through in an all expenses paid world golf tour at the end of the season as a gratuity.

I’d still go after McVeigh as a dev coach, promote Kelly to def. line assistant; which would give you Kelly, McVeigh and Goddard as your Defensive coaches more than enough for plethora of young talented backs

1 Like

We need some pace on the HBF against the pies. I’m all for resting him this week. He looked cooked at the end, really struggled to bend down and collect the footy.

Needs to do some yoga in his old age to increase his flexibility.

1 Like

Not the worst idea to give him a rest after the high-paced game this week. Francis or Ridley the perfect replacements.

2 Likes

Agree the defence will be too slow v the pies but i can;t remember goddard ever being rested despite thinking it might happen any time over the past 3 years.

He is getting to the stage where it is going to be hard for him to come up week after week. Thing is though, he can still produce high quality games.

I think the club will let him go round again next year, but he has to agree to active management.

Also pointless playing him at all in the VFL. Perhaps it would be an active plan for 14/15 AFL games next year spaced throughout the year.

He showed a nice burst of speed around the boundary at one stage yesterday. He’s no whippet but he’s no glacier either. Also footy smarts and good positioning can help with lack of speed.

He’s just had 2 ten day breaks, this will be a 7 day break. He’ll be fine. We need his laser boot out of the backline.

100% agree. He can go around again next year in the seniors with active management. I know he’d publicly said the club doesn’t owe him anything, but I think most people would agree that the club probably does.

If things go to plan next year we should / could be a real chance at a flag tilt, and he deserves to be a part of that success as a player IMO.

1 Like

Had a chuckle when Hird said of Goddard some years ago that he plays like an old man. Nothing’s changed. The bloke prepares himself better than most. He doesn’t need rests this year or next.

3 Likes

been fantastic the last 2 weeks. Playing fresh helps him. Club should be smart and given him a rest every 6 weeks. There is no reason why he cant go around again next year.

I still like his game. Still has some absolute class footy in him.

Good for another year for mine.