Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

Go out at the end of year while still playing some good footy, let the kids come through.

I love Goddard and think he’s having a decent season, but it’s starting to feel a bit like Kelly last year. He’s playing well enough to go on for another season, but not sure that’s the best thing for the team. One of Redman, Ridley or Francis is probably better in that spot for the team long term.

5 Likes

I wasn’t having a dig at you personally but, other than Rob Harding, every one of our current (or recent) assistant coaches is either a past player (Harvey, Skipworth, Kelly) or has been promoted internally from our VFL/player development teams (Neeld, Skipworth, Jordan, P Corrigan, M Corrigan).

Prior to joining EFC their collective coaching experience amounts to: two sacked senior coaches (Harvey and Neeld) and one playing coach of South Barwon (P Corrigan). None of Skipworth, Jordan or Kelly had any coaching experience before joining EFC.

It’s nothing against BJ personally, but appointing him as an assistant coach would be a continuation of this ‘jobs for the boys’ mentality.

1 Like

i reckon if you do a search of other coaches for other teams, that youll find what youve just described is quite common

1 Like

Improving a club’s IP by grabbing an assistant from a successful club is a pretty common strategy. Carrecella’s move to Richmond from Geelong and Justin Longmuir’s move to Collingwood from West Coast are the most recent successful examples.

Having said that, Rob Harding’s move to EFC (from Adelaide) is starting to look pretty good too!

I love BJ.

But you are right. We need to steal some coaching talent from successful teams to make sure we are continually learning, growing and broadening our coaching capability.

1 Like

I rekon clubs mismanage these veteran stars. Compromising how long they can play on for.

IMO Goddard should be rested every 2nd or 3rd week.

He didn’t look fresh to me vs NMFC but did vs WCE.

Similarly I note Hodge was in the best the week after the bye too. When will the clubs wake up to this.

We came of a 10 day break into North did we not?

He didn’t need to be rested. The game was going at break neck speed for the most part, he and others would have been knackered late.

Might not have had as much influence as he did vs Eagles but was still important.

WE had back-to-back 10 day breaks, essentially 2 byes in a row.

And Goddard is on record saying that it was a mistake for him to play those 3 games in 11 days early in the year.

He certainly did. He got 99 AF points on the AFL website, 24 disposals and 9 marks. And he’s right up there every single week.

Sure he’s not the fastest on our list, but he’s faster than Hooker, for a start. And he knows how to get in the play, contest the mark, get the ball and get it to a teammate. He makes mistakes but he doesn’t make them often.

I don’t know about him being a coach in waiting and I couldn’t care less. But I do know that if you asked anyone on the coaching panel whether he’s best 22, every single one would say yes. The only argument would be about whether he’s best 10.

2 Likes

Kelly and Goddard played 500 games and several grand finals for clubs that aren’t Essendon. I would think that they picked up some stuff in that time

Getting outside knowledge is great, but it shouldn’t be the primary concern when determining what someone can bring to the job. (A job that may not exist it should be said)

1 Like

BJ was on the radio yesterday (RSN Breakfast Club -Inner Sanctum. Was a good listen).

Some take aways:

• Would like to play next year, but that will most likely be up to the club. Mindful that he Ridley, Redman and McKenna all after the same role.
  • Dropped a hint that finishing at another club wasn’t out of the question (ala Hodge/Mitchell)
  • He does have an interest in coaching
  • But, mentioned how he is looking forward to being away from football once he retires
  • Said he had been planning for retirement and would be doing something ‘you know where my interests are’

Putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5, I speculate BJ will do something in the golfing field. Either 1) run golfing tours or 2) do a golf pro apprenticeship.

9 Likes

So cooked that the alarm just went off

1 Like

He’s not cooked he’s just showing his age, as he did last year, and will only be worse next year.

Which is why he should hang them up and we don’t NEED him next year so if he wants to play on i hope the club doesnt want him to but i’m hearing they do.

He seems to of lost all speed. The minute his opponent gets goal side of him he panics and gives up away a free.

Kicking was good. Not sure he can be playing down back against the good teams though

Hes not playing on next year.

1 Like

Yep he’s done

He is playing next year

Why??

Worsfold said in the presser that goddard is playing Francis role.

Great long term thinking

2 Likes