Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

I have nothing personal against Goddard, call him Player A for all I care. If anyone at the club thinks he’s worthy of continuing to play in the seniors in 2019 then we are well and truly fked as a club with these people in charge.

15 Likes

He deserves a lot more respect than some of the flogs give him here.
Recruited to a club that bent over at every tough turn during the saga and he rightfully stood up for the club when it counted when others rolled over.
He makes mistakes like most footballers, but ■■■■ I hold him in higher regard for his efforts!
Next year is a discussion for him and our coaches at the end of the year.

3 Likes

Get a grip. Some champions know when it is time to go (eg Jobe). Goddard’s time came and went some time ago.

1 Like

Pity they removed the Veterans list.

Damn I’m sick of hearing that we owe him because of the saga, ever person with any association to Essendon has been bent over from the saga.

2 Likes

May have sealed his fate with that inexcusable kick out unforced error.

Have no idea why any player just does not kick at least 30cm behind the line?

4 Likes

Doesn’t have many goals kicked on him either, I think 2 today.

The thing he’s lost is how early he picks it up in the air. He used to judge that so well.

1 Like

The guy who had his last 3-4 years interrupted by calves and hammies?

and came back for a john farnham “one last time” tour where he could only kick 35m?

That guy… made the right call?

People who want Goddard to play on next year clearly have no idea about football. He’s costs us goals every week. Dare I say, we would have at least 2 more wins and be in the 8 if it wasn’t for his costly mistakes. Jog on Brendan.

1 Like

Yep, he used to judge perfectly when to go third man up.

Now the majority of the times he does it he doesn’t impact the contest enough and the ball goes out the back.

The amount of times his opponent gets goal side of him at a contest is scary

4 Likes

BJ a true champion of the game and has been a fantastic ambassador for Essendon in its darkest years.

But father time has tapped him on the shoulder.

2 Likes

Needs to adjust to playing from behind more, or sides will really work him over the back in bulk.

1 Like

Players make mistakes like the overstepping of the goalsquare line regardless of age. That’s an innocent mistake. I’m more concerned with him losing his feet in contests, not making an impact when he is 3rd man in and has to kill the ball by either marking it or spoiling and clearing the danger. Feel like I’m on repeat here but the role he plays is the one that we have an over abundance of players who can fill it. The signs are there.

The past 5-6 weeks it has become far more obvious. Another season and he could really fall off the cliff and spend his finals days as a footballer in the VFL. BJ is too good for that. If the club did go up to him and tell him it’s time, it would be a very ruthless but correct call. I have absolute respect for him and how he’s embraced our club in his time here. But the end is nigh. That’s not making any disparaging remarks, it’s simply observation…

6 Likes

used to have 1 grandpa moment a game, we could handle that, now has about 5

looks weak on his feet, looks slow to react, even his good decision making has left him

1 Like

He’s dying ?

Club should tell him now time is up ans offer him a farewell game against his old club same as what cooney had

Please join the coaching group in 2019.

2 Likes

When Goddard stepped over line you just knew the Hawks were going to score a goal from the stoppage.

I love ya BJ but please reitire

3 Likes

NEXT

unfortunately Jobe was still our best midfielder (despite those injury issues). Can’t say the same for Goddard.