Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

Agree with this.
The fact that we now know how good we are. It’s inexcusable that we miss out on the finals because we didn’t have our sh*t together with personnel in the coaching box.

We have every right to be going into the finals series in the top 4. We should be having a pretty good crack at breaking the hoodoo of finals losses.

The positive though, we had our best run of form for 15 years. It’s the first time since Lloyd was in form, that I’ve turned up to Games confident that we’ll get the win.

The warning bells were going off after that Adelaide game about how unprepared our club was.

1 Like

I had concerns when Richmond flogged us in the JLT was like a repeat of the Sydney final but people kept telling me “It’s only JLT” lols

The supposed improved defence and contested ball work that the club trained and preached over the summer i didn’t see any of it during the JLT.

We have enough backmen coming through, time to hang up the boots Goddard or if kept play him as a HFF for delivery to Daniher or Stringer.

Ridley, Francis and McNiece now the future

He may end up a footy commentator.

pretty much. He isn’t going to go gracefully so worsfold needs to make the call.

1 Like

He will go gracefully once the decision is made.
Question is in which year will the decision be made.
We could well offer him another year.

That concerns me as I believe the club will feel like they have an obligation to play him as much as possible. I just hope we aren’t making him too many promises in regards to playing time

If the decision were mine, I think I’d offer him another year. But he would be playing in the midfield, not across half back, and would have to understand that he would more than likely spend a bit of time in the magoos. I think he could still offer us a bit in the middle in certain situations, where his strength and smarts would outweigh his drop in leg speed. He is still a viable AFL footballer I think, just not in the role we have him in at present.

But I’m not one of his coaches. And I don’t have access to all his data. So I could be way off the mark.

5 Likes

I think he will get offered a contract next year. For the most part I think he’s been ok but I’m with boot in that I don’t want him across half back. He was one of our better clearance players not so long ago, knows how to find the ball in close and with the supposed rule changes coming next year, starting positions etc I reckon it’ll suit quick wingers who’ll have acres of space to work in. I think he has some value playing around 14 games next season mainly in the midfield getting the ball into that space on the wing.

For mine, it’s time to go. Thanks for your efforts, BJ.

6 Likes

Port and Crows list managers will be very keen to see if BJ gets offered another year.

BJ just needs the bigger goal square to be introduced.

5 Likes

Time to say goodbye
Paesi che non ho mai
Veduto e vissuto con te
Adesso si li vivrò
Con te partirò
Su navi per mari
Che, io lo so
No, no, non esistono più
It’s time to say goodbye

1 Like

Redman

1 Like

He’s been nothing but graceful ever since he got here.
Has a lot to be ■■■■■■ off about if he wanted to.

4 Likes

Is there a younger player who can take BJs role or grow into it by the end of the year? If so, move him on with thanks. His final game deserves to be celebrated.

I suspect he will again finish top 5 in the B&F

James Hird won the BnF in his last year, if youre trying to use that as an argument for keeping him, I’m not sure it holds much water. But I do agree that he’ll end high up there, however.

1 Like

Yep, BJ should get another year. His numbers are good and he’s running out games well but as suggested, get him out out of defence. Then again it’s not as if he’s making a mountain of mistakes down there. Also, he’s not turning the ball over by hand or foot like some. Unfortunately for him when he does make a mistake it usually results in goals for the opposition.

Define a mountain? One or two brainfades off half back could be described as a ‘mountain’ due to their impact on the game. Footy isnt just about getting posessions. His strength, awareness, agility all seem to be decreasing. He may get the ball a bit due to still being pretty fit, but I question whether that cant be covered by a youngster. The traits and skills that elevated his game are quickly disappearing. He’s a husk of his former self, and I reckon its the perfect time to tap him on the shoulder.

1 Like