Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

I think it’s time. He says his GPS numbers are still strong but mistakes are becoming more prominent and all season I’ve seen him ask a teammate to roll over onto his opponent.

1 Like

Does having BJ in the team next year make us better, worse or the same bottom 8 team we are now ?
Anyone suggesting that he would be willing to spend time in the VFL next year is kidding themselves.

2 Likes

I’m really torn on this one.

I love BJ. He has been wonderful for this club since 2013 both on and off the field. In general he still plays well. He defends well. He can take a mark. He reads the play well and when one of his flat bullet passes hits the mark it really is a sight to behold.

But, It seems more of his passes aren’t hitting the mark these days. He’s slowed down.Arguably, two brain fades in close games in the past two years has cost us.

I just don’t know.

6 Likes

The question for coaches will likely be about measuring the benefits of his distribution further up the ground or out of congestion against the occasional situation he gets beaten or makes a mistake. Hurley says hi

Like JB said, “up and coming players knock me off my perch.” Does that mean he won’t play in the seconds? Why does it have to come to that? No player ever wants to stop and the ones that do and go out on their own terms, few and far between.

Can bet your life if we were in flag contention year after Hirdy retired he wouldn’t have.

If BJ still finishes top 5 in B&F it means he still has plenty to contribute.

And the calls for someone like Francis to just come in and play the role better are so premature as you saw from his game on weekend.

I’d think Redman is more likely candidate and if it happens throughout the year so be it.

2 Likes

I’m pretty shocked that some people think he should play on next season, same as the people thinking last year that thought jobe should play on too.

4 Likes

Yeah lets win a final first… hang on, lets make the 8 first… baby steps. We arent flag contenders next year.

2 Likes

Yes we are.

This was put up pre Hawks game.

We get important players back from injury, address some other weaknesses at trade time and have continued growth from our young talent and we are very much in the frame.

Our ladder position is irrelevant to how team is playing right now. Since it all came
together we’ve only lost to Tigers, Pies (due to injuries) and Hawks by a kick. All are in top 4 right now.

Richmond didn’t win a final two years in a row, missed the finals in 2016 & then won in 2017.

We will be right up there next year.

5 Likes

10 weeks of good form doesnt equate to GF contenders if you ask me.

1 Like

Changed my mind on BJ now. Love the guy and what he has done for the club, but he looks to have slowed down considerably even since the start of the year.

I think Redman is the guy, who, barring his injury would have been the one ‘knocking him off his perch’ right now, so in that sense I think BJ is a little lucky.

Really unfortunate for BJ because I think we are a real shot for the flag next year, barring injury - so for him to potentially miss out on a flag, or a really deep September run is shattering.

3 Likes

The thing that will save him is that we cannot experiment to see what’s it like without him which probably sees him stay on another year. If Gleeson and Redman were available right now to see what it’s like without Goddard he’d be goneski.

1 Like

That’s the sort of “play it safe” attitude that continues to keep us a mediocre club.

4 Likes

He isn’t in the footy department or on the board is he?

Time to go BJ. Do the right thing and point the way - don’t force the club to make the decision for you.

2 Likes

Hird won the BnF in his last year, and got 2 Brownlow votes in his last game.

He was just old, not cooked.

11 Likes

Been a big fan, have been very happy to have him wear the read and black jumper, and he has done it proud, but Saturday should be a very clear wake up call to BJ that he is done.
It wasn’t just the kick in error. There were multiple errors from a senior experienced leader that kept allowing them scoring shots.
Most of all it was the timid efforts in the marking contests, and the complete lack of recovery from every contest that should tell everyone that he should not go on next year.
He has been vocal in the media saying someone needs to take his spot off him. Well there are 5 guys who now need to be given the opportunity to win that spot and he should do the right thing and retire.

4 Likes

Does he want to play 16 games tops next year while still competing for a spot? That’s about the most reasonable offer for both parties, I’d say. It may not be what he’s after though.

2 Likes

I think the harshness is probably due to the fact people are legitimately worried he wont be tapped on the shoulder and will be given another year.

This has sheedies departure written all over it. Goddard is saying he wants to go on. Everyone else can see he is past it. Its gonna get ugly if people dont have a quite word to him and make him see that fact.

maybe somone can chuck in a few words in the carpark at Etihad after the Saints game