Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

I think there is a big difference between this notion of “cooked” and still being a better option than anyone else at present

He might not be a star anymore & best years behind but still a very handy contributer IMO.

And Woosh’s.

You can’t say he’s not in our best 25 group of players still right now and won’t be next year either. That isn’t cooked.

I expect he has another year in him but will need to be managed accordingly both to ensure we get the best output from him and for the younger players we intend to have take his spot.

2 Likes

worsfold is just being diplomatic, as he pretty much always is. talking him up so it appears that he leaves 100% on his own terms. a 300 gamer of BJs standing within the club, and the league, deserves that.

1 Like

Bullsh*t

The demographic of the list is perfectly placed for an assault.
Richmond and the WB showed that winning Finals in previous seasons is not necessary.

Just get a group of players together that believe in the game plan, and can execute it under pressure.

5 Likes

Dunno, I consider them both outliers. They are beneficiaries of an exceptionally even couple of seasons IMO. I’d add to that this year’s premiers too.

But who knows, you could be right, this could be becoming the norm. If so I’m all for it.

1 Like

I’m in the camp that him playing next year harms our finals campaign.

Sure at the start of the year when fresh he’ll probably be ok. But this time next year he will be well and truely cooked and forced to be dropped.

That’s 15 games not given to Ridley/Redman that could prove vital for them going into finals.

2 Likes

1 Like

I just cant picture him playing good footy at the end of next year,if we make finals. He is really starting to get exposed when the ball hits the ground 1-1.

Its Redmans time to shine there,and BJ will hopefully stay on in some capacity in a coaching role like Kelly.

1 Like

BJ is showing all the traits of an old player in decline. He’s struggling to cleanly pickup ground balls, he’s struggling to find space when he does take possession, and his ability to pressure the opposition when they have the ball is very poor. He looks cooked to me.

My kids think his first name is for ■■■■■ sakes…

He has had some howlers this year, the sort of mistakes that you tollarate from a young inexperenced bloke under pressure.

in an ideal world Gleeson and Redman wouldn’t be injured and we would be playing them. Goddard would be playing in the 2s and realising that it was time.

You give a bloke who has done what he has for the club Life Membership, you don’t gift them a spot on the list.

If he wants to play on next season, it will need to be elsewhere with our blessing.

11 Likes

If he is struggling in normal home and away matches this season, what makes people think he will suddenly turn it on if we make finals next year?

1 Like

Just god damn love him and screw the ■■■■■■■ entity that denied him a flag.

1 Like

You mean the Drug cheating Collingfilth FC right? :thinking:

If we think we can win the premiership next year, then he should stay another year.

He’s regressed but he hasn’t fallen off a cliff yet. He’s one injury away from that. Whether that cliff comes along next year or the year after is anyone’s guess.

I think the calls that Redman gets games next year are hopeful at best. Gleeson takes back a spot in the backline next year and Goddard needs to find another gap elsewhere in the team to fill if he plays on. I’d trust Gleeson to perform in a ten game stretch more than a declining Goddard or developing Redman.

I don’t think we’re a GF threat next year (subject to FA and trades) so we need to convince him that GWS, Brisbane or GC are in more need of his leadership services than we are next year.

We’ve drafted so many impressive ‘leaders’ and poured resources into those ‘leadership tours’ that it’s time they see the rewards of it by stepping up and taking more responsibility with the younger group during matches.

2 Likes

I’m not overly convinved about his leadership qualities myself. Despite what they keep telling us.

1 Like

I think the fact he stepped into one hell of a mess in 2013, and rather than try avoid the issue, stood up and backed both the club and the players in says a lot about his leadership qualities.

10 Likes

2013 was then and this is now. How long do you get to dine out on past achievements? He is a one paced player who either pinpoints a pass or coughs it up therefore a net non contributor. Time to make a gracious exit and to move on.

1 Like

Today’s press conference from Woosha was very interesting. Basically said it’s the club’s decision, not Brendon’s.

Herald sun article was a plead to stay on. Was interesting listening to John and I know he said list managers would be included in the discussion but how about you throw in Ridley, Redman and Francis in to the discussion to plead their case. They have every right to discuss what about us? If Goddard stays on we’ll go back to S.A (Redman and Francis) or another opportunity that sees us playing more senior games elsewhere next season. All three have more value than an old guy looking for another season.

3 Likes

If the club lets that happen then we are well and truly farked, surely we are not that shortsighted.

Now don’t be sad…

‘Cause two out of five ain’t bad.

2 Likes