Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

Thanks for everything BJ, would be a nice send off game with the Saints

Club thought we were top 4 this year, there judgement is not very good.

It would be nice if BJ picked this game to be his last. IMO he should not go around again in 2019.

Except that if we played the first half of the season like the last half, we probably would have been.

But you know …

1 Like

Yep if only we could beat some bottom 8 teams like Dogs, & Blues.

I’d try seek BJ a trade ala Mitchell trade to WC.

Surely say the Suns might entertain swapping one of their 3rd rounders for him?

They have 6 picks in the first three rounds, plus the inevitable compo for Tom Lynch. No way will they use all of them.

I’m sure someone here way back posted some info on BJ which dispelled a few mis conceptions on his “Slowing Down”, … which I based a comment that he may yet be able to go on for a couple more years at least, albeit in a diminished game number and a different role, … eg Km’s covered, speed etc.

I wonder if he/she, or anyone else that has access to all those AFL stats / heatmap etc stuff, can do it again, … so that posters can at least start basing their posts on the facts??

I’d like to see if he’s fallen off at all, and if so how badly since that last made assessment.

TIA.

He has no hope in any other position than the one he’s playing.

Uh huh, …

1 Like

On Fox AFL news, I’m sure I heard Brendon is holding a media conference tomorrow.

If you were going to make a big deal out of him finishing up then the Saints game perfect time to do so with both of his clubs fans there.

I reckon he should make this game his last and play half a game for each club. Not allowed to tackle him. Racks up 50 possessions, kicks 6 goals - goes off a hero. Only we have to win!

7 Likes

Despite what the players keep telling us?

2 Likes

Mate, they’re all liars. Just toeing the company line.
Pathetic, the lot of them.

3 Likes

Still a averaging 23 disposals & 6 marks a game. Yes he’s not the player he once was, yes he’s made a few glaring mistakes but we simply have nobody as good as him for replacement. I hope he plays another year but suspect he’s going to announce his retirement tomorrow. Has been a great servant of the club & doesn’t deserve most of the criticism he’s coped. Some have a different standard for guys we’ve traded in.

Actions speak louder than words for me. He seems a bit isolated on the field, there were the arguments in the Anzac Day game and the occasional clanger when the pressure is on (and the game there to be won/lost) . Sure they respect his career, and still listen to his advice but not as enthusasticly as they once did. He is older, and logically would struggle a bit to keep up his numbers, thus his chatter and leadership are lower than they were. This is why he left the leadership group this season (to be fair like most older players). I just dont know if he is content as a follower, and isn’t quite cutting it enough to demand the troops follow.

In short he is dropping, we have a number of players that are rising, and need to be brought into the team. I can’t see him being happy playing in the 2s and being a back up player. So I think it is better if he leaves for a playing/training role at Carlton/Stkilda/Gold Coast/Freo. There he could get one or two seasons, get plenty of games and help the young blokes.

It’s a shame that Saints game isn’t the last Round.
As it stands, we are still a mathematical chance of making the 8, so you can’t have a farewell game for a guy who has played every game this season, and played at a reasonable level.

I’m not sure if he should play on next year, probably leaning towards NO, but he’s still decent.
Just a pity we’ve missed out on any opportunity to see how his body would have adapted to a week off every 4 or 5 games.
Seems logical for someone of his vintage.
Wonder why the stubborn refusal to trial it this season ?

1 Like

Other than the glaring mistakes this year, that a senior player probably shouldn’t make, I have nothing but respect for him and think he has been excellent for us. I just think it is time.

He’s a club legend. Saga heroes - Jobe and BJ sit head and shoulders above the rest.

21 Likes

His call for mine. Pure and simple. Club legend, who has always put the club first, if players go past him, and we all hope they do next year, he can play in the 2nds and add invaluable leadership. As it stands now though there is know one who pushes him out.

1 Like

I don’t think he can play seconds. I don’t think it is in his nature. He is so professional I suspect it is 1st grade or nothing.

I disagree it is his call. The club needs to put itself first. If they think they have better options, or want to play a different style next year, then its thanks for everything. Look at Hawthorne, when they think a player is close to cooked they move them on, they don’t wait for the smoke alarm to go off…

3 Likes