#9 Brendon James Goddard

Mate, they’re all liars. Just toeing the company line.
Pathetic, the lot of them.

Still a averaging 23 disposals & 6 marks a game. Yes he’s not the player he once was, yes he’s made a few glaring mistakes but we simply have nobody as good as him for replacement. I hope he plays another year but suspect he’s going to announce his retirement tomorrow. Has been a great servant of the club & doesn’t deserve most of the criticism he’s coped. Some have a different standard for guys we’ve traded in.

Actions speak louder than words for me. He seems a bit isolated on the field, there were the arguments in the Anzac Day game and the occasional clanger when the pressure is on (and the game there to be won/lost) . Sure they respect his career, and still listen to his advice but not as enthusasticly as they once did. He is older, and logically would struggle a bit to keep up his numbers, thus his chatter and leadership are lower than they were. This is why he left the leadership group this season (to be fair like most older players). I just dont know if he is content as a follower, and isn’t quite cutting it enough to demand the troops follow.

In short he is dropping, we have a number of players that are rising, and need to be brought into the team. I can’t see him being happy playing in the 2s and being a back up player. So I think it is better if he leaves for a playing/training role at Carlton/Stkilda/Gold Coast/Freo. There he could get one or two seasons, get plenty of games and help the young blokes.

It’s a shame that Saints game isn’t the last Round.
As it stands, we are still a mathematical chance of making the 8, so you can’t have a farewell game for a guy who has played every game this season, and played at a reasonable level.

I’m not sure if he should play on next year, probably leaning towards NO, but he’s still decent.
Just a pity we’ve missed out on any opportunity to see how his body would have adapted to a week off every 4 or 5 games.
Seems logical for someone of his vintage.
Wonder why the stubborn refusal to trial it this season ?

Other than the glaring mistakes this year, that a senior player probably shouldn’t make, I have nothing but respect for him and think he has been excellent for us. I just think it is time.

He’s a club legend. Saga heroes - Jobe and BJ sit head and shoulders above the rest.

His call for mine. Pure and simple. Club legend, who has always put the club first, if players go past him, and we all hope they do next year, he can play in the 2nds and add invaluable leadership. As it stands now though there is know one who pushes him out.

I don’t think he can play seconds. I don’t think it is in his nature. He is so professional I suspect it is 1st grade or nothing.

I disagree it is his call. The club needs to put itself first. If they think they have better options, or want to play a different style next year, then its thanks for everything. Look at Hawthorne, when they think a player is close to cooked they move them on, they don’t wait for the smoke alarm to go off…

Rarely have a I read a post that was so wide of the mark.

And after 16 years in this place that is quite an achievement

Be hilarious if it was a one of his standard run of the mill media commitments…hilarious

Are there some experimental AFL rules I haven’t heard about being trialed this week?

Wouldn’t need a rule for him being not allowed to tackle an opposition player.

BJ said he wanted to go on.
Woosha said they would talk next week re-playing on.

Seems like the chats been had eatly?

how do you or anyone honestly know if there is anyone as good to replace him ?
to find out, you know you have to kinda replace him and see.

you should change it to there is no one who is “percieved” to be better than him at present.

and define better ?
is it someone who goes in and does what goddard can’t do anymore ? or is it someone who stands back and points at others to go do stuff ?

the last 11 odd weeks should have shown all and sundry that what you need is 22 blokes giving 100% across all facets of the game.
Leadership and pointing are traits that are not magically not cover-able.

we’ve won and lost games with goddard in the side, we’d win and lose games without him. we’d just do it with different dynamics.

He is involved in a kids cancer charity, so it could be related to that.

That’s not how a home and away season works, but anyway

Here is the last half of the season. Round 12 on wards. I would say the win against Eagles is a top 4 side win and that’s it (beating Swans and North are top 8 worthy wins, not top 4) and failed against a top 8 contenders

Even then west coast were missing both Kennedy and Darling. We were also pretty crappy after the first third of the game. GWS I regard the best win and the Sydney win a far second which yeah is I guess a top 8 win as you describe. I’ll be proven wrong but you don’t win finals or teams in form being so inaccurate as we were against Sydney and Freo. West coast could have beat us in the end with accuracy.

Geelong game?

You can only beat whose put in front of you. We have improved, but not contenders yet.

The Man in the Arena…

It is not the critic that counts, not the man that points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and dust and blood: who strives valiantly, who errs, who comes short again and again. Because there is no effort without error and shortcoming: but who does actually strive to do the deeds: who knows great enthusiasms. The great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement ,and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory or defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt.

Hopefully he is not retiring. An on-field coach is invaluable and that is exactly what he has transitioned into. Easily could go again next year. Give him a target of 15 games, rest him when we go interstate, and he will be ok. We are too quick to jettison folks based on age…