Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

Rarely have a I read a post that was so wide of the mark.

And after 16 years in this place that is quite an achievement

6 Likes

Be hilarious if it was a one of his standard run of the mill media commitments…hilarious

3 Likes

Are there some experimental AFL rules I haven’t heard about being trialed this week?

Wouldn’t need a rule for him being not allowed to tackle an opposition player.

BJ said he wanted to go on.
Woosha said they would talk next week re-playing on.

Seems like the chats been had eatly?

how do you or anyone honestly know if there is anyone as good to replace him ?
to find out, you know you have to kinda replace him and see.

you should change it to there is no one who is “percieved” to be better than him at present.

and define better ?
is it someone who goes in and does what goddard can’t do anymore ? or is it someone who stands back and points at others to go do stuff ?

the last 11 odd weeks should have shown all and sundry that what you need is 22 blokes giving 100% across all facets of the game.
Leadership and pointing are traits that are not magically not cover-able.

we’ve won and lost games with goddard in the side, we’d win and lose games without him. we’d just do it with different dynamics.

He is involved in a kids cancer charity, so it could be related to that.

1 Like

That’s not how a home and away season works, but anyway

Here is the last half of the season. Round 12 on wards. I would say the win against Eagles is a top 4 side win and that’s it (beating Swans and North are top 8 worthy wins, not top 4) and failed against a top 8 contenders

Even then west coast were missing both Kennedy and Darling. We were also pretty crappy after the first third of the game. GWS I regard the best win and the Sydney win a far second which yeah is I guess a top 8 win as you describe. I’ll be proven wrong but you don’t win finals or teams in form being so inaccurate as we were against Sydney and Freo. West coast could have beat us in the end with accuracy.

Geelong game?

You can only beat whose put in front of you. We have improved, but not contenders yet.

The Man in the Arena…

It is not the critic that counts, not the man that points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and dust and blood: who strives valiantly, who errs, who comes short again and again. Because there is no effort without error and shortcoming: but who does actually strive to do the deeds: who knows great enthusiasms. The great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement ,and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory or defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt.

16 Likes

Hopefully he is not retiring. An on-field coach is invaluable and that is exactly what he has transitioned into. Easily could go again next year. Give him a target of 15 games, rest him when we go interstate, and he will be ok. We are too quick to jettison folks based on age…

1 Like

So to me that says that if we had played the first half of the season how we played the second, we would currently be sitting in second place.

It has absolutely nothing to do with what you consider a worthy win, and everything to do with the number of wins. Full stop.

6 Likes

Just out of curiosity, who have we Jettisoned before their time ?

1 Like

At the very least we wouldn’t have lost to Bulldogs and Carlton which would have given us enough wins to be in the eight.

IMO the next three rounds will tell the tale of the season. If we win well against the Saints, lose well against Richmond, and lose a close one to Port, then the season is a Pass with reason to look forward to 2019.

If we drop the Saints game I would find it hard not to feel let down by the players. That game is about attitude and application much more than coaching etc.

If we drop Saints but win against Richmond and Port, then I pull my hair out at the bi-polar nature of our consistency, but enjoy the footy for what it is nonetheless.

If we lose to Saints and Port, but win against Richmond, then I still won’t trust the team to bring a consistent 2019. It would leave me in doubt about the team.

I could go on about the different combinations but should probably find a different thread for that.

Nevertheless, go Dons…

I consider this contentious.

1 Like

if he retires today then he will go down as a club legend who stuck around our football club when we needed him.

But… over the last 3 weeks you can tell that he’s slowing down. in the Sydney game he slipped over and then kicked the ball into an Sydney player. that could of cost us a goal if Francis wasn’t there to pick it up.

but still hes a club legend and was great as a captain for 1 yr

3 Likes

I’d be happy for him to go on another year but I’d be equally accepting if he chooses to pull the pin. If he does go on the only proviso I have is that he move out of the backline - we have enough up and coming players to cover him there, and he’s not as safe as he used to be. I’d be playing him forward where his disposal can set others up, switching midfield.

Whatever happens, he’s been immense for the club. Much respect.

3 Likes

Ths is crap. Youre picking on him for 1 goal? Im sure theres a few others that have been in the same boat and stuffed up and given away certain goals -hes only gettong picked on doing that because of his ages and everyone being so 50/50 on him. Goddards numbers are still relative solid.

5 Likes

If it a retirement presser I think he will say finishing up at end of season not pulling pin after this weekend.

Big games against Richmond and Port away to come.

1 Like