Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

It was a comment on how footy (and most sports) as an industry pay too much attention to the age of the player and not so much to flexibility around what they can add to the team. And yes, players get jettisoned. Paul Salmon is a perfect example. Would we have let him go were he 2-3 years younger? Sean Wellman likely would not have pulled the plug if he didn’t see the age-based forced ending coming.

I Just brought forward an example of something that throughout his career has never done which is make 2 mistakes in the span of seconds. at least i didn’t bring up last weeks mistake.

as i said before he is a legend of this football club

Sorry mate but they’re two very bad examples, Sean Wellman wanted to focus on his podiatry business iirc and Paul Salmon was traded, not to mention that we are talking ancient history here.
We don’t Jettison players too early at Essendon and recent history shows that the successful clubs know how to make a hard call when a player’s time is up.

1 Like

Just on this business of successful clubs knowing when to make the call… which of those clubs have bounced back to actually win a flag as a result?
Not Geelong or Hawthorn yet. I still think the Hawks are more likely to go backwards than forwards in future years.

Maybe they would have been better to keep those older players? Who knows…

Maybe ? You still think the jury is out on the Lewis & C*** for Jaeger and T Mitchell because they haven’t won a flag ?

1 Like

Will be accepting a one year contract extension with an option for a second.

They wwren’t Involved in the same trades. I don’t see how/why they couldn’t have kept Lewis and Mitchell as well.

You think that those guys being moved on had nothing to do to with recruiting Jom & TM ?

Hawks were making salary cap space by flicking Mitchell and Lewis. Cause O’Mearas contract and Mitchells contracts were both big.
Im still dissapointed we didnt really go after Mitchell, but meant we probably didnt get McGrath as pick 1 may have been used. WE could have got O’Meara just with $$$$ as a free agent, but we would ahve been stressed with knee recovery, its taken him a while to get back to good footy.

Hawthorn would like someone else to take over Roughys contract too as he is nearing the end.

Swans are looking at moving on hanneberry to free up salary cap space as well.

We must have all of the salary cap space, plus a bit of someone elses, if true.

Everything l have read on here since then, indicated that he was always going to the Dawks and we were never a real chance to get O’Meara.

3 Likes

Francis got him though

8 Likes

Thats right Hawthorn put in the work for 12 months and we came late to the party and tried to get him across the line in the PSD due to finishing last.
If the AFL hadnt broken there rules and allowed some funny picks to happen and allow the trade deadline to continue past the deadline then it was a possibility.

Its good know though that Dodoro has been putting the groundwork in, and we saw the results last season with SSS…and potentially Gaff/Shiel this season.

1 Like

LOL. So just a run on the mill Thursday media appearance.

12 Likes

So sick of this club. Jobe last year. Goddard this year. Who’s the next player wanting to selfishly put themselves ahead of the club? No wonder we haven’t won a final in 15 years. Its clear as daylight he shouldn’t be playing. But no doubt they build up next year like a hype tour

What a let down for so many :joy::joy:

3 Likes

IMG_8614

5 Likes

BORING!

Maybe the presser was a fishing expedition.

the more i think about it the more i am not a fan of goddard playing on

yeah yeah trust in the club etc etc etc but it just doesnt feel right to me