Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

WTF does on the same page mean? I’ve been on the same page as Scarlett J, but we were so far apart she didn’t even know about it.

2 Likes

Will we have done him a disservice by not giving him a fair well game or a proper send off? Imagine finding out in October he can’t stay because we’re up to our necks in trades.
That would be brutal, but at least the club will have turned the corner on that aspect.

Don’t think that reads well for Brendon. You could only assume ‘on the same page’ means Brendon has had to accept he probably isn’t part of the plans going forward.

It wouldn’t bother me if he got another year, however if he is finished up I think we have seen more than enough from Francis, Redman and Ridley to think we are in good shape.

1 Like

I agree. I reckon he’s either gone or they have said we might offer a 1 year contract depending on what happens in trade week

1 Like

Am confident he’ll get a new contract.

12 Likes

I’d be disappointed if this were the case. The club needs to look forward and goddard is past it and we have a tonne of talent in that position. Another emotion based decision by the club if we go this way.

1 Like

What other emotion based decisions

1 Like

It means both sides understand what the list, cap and future plans/players situation is, and are in a holding pattern

on the same page to me indicates there is a compromise somewhere.

id suggest its that he will have to be ‘rested’ a lot more often that what he’d like.

1 Like

The $ will play a part too, has been on decent coin. It might be that if we bring in a gaff or Sheil we can only offer 300k.

1 Like

If we are to transition from a Bottom 8 side, to a Top 8 side next year, we need players like Goddard in the team still. We are lacking that finals experience, seeing we haven’t played in that many of recent times.
If players like Redman, Ridley, Clarke etc are to become regulars next year, they’ll need players like Goddard next to them.

3 Likes

You’d have to think it is the club setting the expectations and it is for BJ to accept them if he wanted a new contract. He js not a 26 year old gun hitting their peak with a swag of other clubs lined up wanting to woo him away from us. He’d know the reality of where things are at for him. So he and club know and understand this. All clear. Same page.

1 Like

“ONLY”!

Bloke could probably double it by doing media work (is that outside the cap?)

I think if he stays people need to look at it this way

Yes we have Redman & maybe Ridley/Francis suitable for his role moving forward but they have not proven anything just yet.

Whilst Goddard is slowing down and everyone is concerned about his output as season wears on. The same could be said for young players who’ve played less than 10 senior games in their careers. Are they going to tire significantly over the year?

If BJ is appropriately managed throughout year to ensure we get the best output from him as well as continuing to give younger players games I don’t see an issue.

Whoever is performing better come the pointy end if/when we make finals plays. And if that’s not BJ it’s the risk he takes and club would be telling him. If it is him, he is our most experienced finals performer and would do anything to win.

It will also be a massive salary cut for BJ and he’d be easily justifying his contract worth next year on and off field.

1 Like

He’s been on 800 or 600. Taking a 50% paycit would hurt.

Brendan Goddard has had a good year. He has one more in him and he will get a new contract.

5 Likes

He cannot play more than 2/3s of the games next year imo.

We have capable replacements maybe not to his level but it is crucial we get games into them in that role. Gleeson Francis and Ridley are all good interceptors and in the case of Francis and Ridley excellent distributors. Gleeson has a propensity to be lazy in the kick on occasion.

1 Like

Yeah because judging a players worth on fantasy football stats is the best way to prove their worth…

Nothing fantasy about those stats DTD.

In any case, I bet BJ gets Top 10 in the B&F, and as he said, it is up to these young blokes to force him to be dropped with their stellar performances in the VFL.

While Ridley, Redman, Mutch and Francis show great potential; still reckon BJ gives more value, at least this year. Up to them to work hard, train the house down and beat himout of a place in the Team.

Those stats are all fantasy. They tell you very little.

How many times did he turn it over?, how many times was he outmarked?, how many of those stats were contested posessions?, how many were cheap stat padding in the backline?, how many times was he beaten by his man? How many important stats did his opponent get? etc etc etc.

On their own like that they are worthless in trying to prove the worth of a player. Unfortuntely it’s the era we live in where many think that good fantasy scorers like Aaron Hall are good footballers…

2 Likes