Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

I agree that he’s slowed down & has made some errors we wouldn’t expect from him, BUT he also takes many important intercept marks, generally delivers the ball with precision & reads the play well. You cannot have too many youngsters all playing at once- they just get belted by bigger bodies.

I really really hope you are wrong

1 Like

On the same page means that two parties have the same or similar thinking about whatever the issue is.

As much as you may want Johansson, she’d have to be right into you for you to both be on the same page

He doesn’t need a new contract does he? I thought he had a 1 year player triggered thing.

I think he is done, and it will only get worse.

But if he is happy to play 8-12 games, act as an infield coach and even a few at VFL level. Then I’m fine with him staying on for one more.

By the end of next year, all of Francis, Redman and Ridley will be well past him.

And conversely, how many times did he pick pick out a target with an aggressive kick? How many opponents forward entries did he cut off? How many were under pressure in the backline? How many times did he beat his man? How much stat padding did his opponent get? etc, etc, etc

There’s more fantasy in the picture you’re trying to create than a simple posting of his basic stats. If you want to refute a point, don’t just dress up leading questions and then claim that as an argument

1 Like

Thanks for proving my point that the provided stats were fantasy football stats and i will refute a point however i choose to so please keep your instructions on my posting to yourself.

You can look at it both ways. How many time did he let his opponent get goal side and score. How many times did he go 3rd man up in a contest- not impact it and let the ball go out the back. How many times has he centred the ball and turned it over?

I think the negatives of him going on for another season outweigh the positives. In the end it doesn’t matter because the club will give him a 1 year deal

If the negatives outweigh the positives they wouldn’t offer him another contract

Some too quick to jump/point out mistakes and fail to see the good. As Woosh pointed out in that game BJ got done HTB a few times, Walla did also. And others made bad mistakes. No one perfect.

In a game he got smashed on blitz he received coaches votes for his efforts. So go figure.

Not in his prime but still offers plenty, that’s the way they will see things if plays on.

Well exactly. It wasn’t his stance I took issue with so much, just the arguments used to justify it

If he feels physically up to it I’d personally keep Goddard for another year. It’s not a simple decision though and I completely understand that some may feel differently though. People are entitled to their opinion on his football, but creating misleading arguments or denigrating a champion player should be called out

1 Like

Are you talking about Goddard or Hurley?

2 Likes

That was last year.

I think if he is in the top say… 30 players he gets a contract. It might not be as much money as he wants and he may need to spend time in the VFL. But if that’s what the club deems to be the best option and he agrees then I have no problems. He has been a legendary player for the club in our darkest times and I cannot thank him enough for it.

If there’s a capacity for him he stays. We may rant about it but it’s the clubs and BJ’s place to hash it out and find the best possible senario. After all. AFL is a business for both club and player now

1 Like

Some players shouldn’t be allowed to finish their careers in the 2nds. Goddard is one of them.

4 Likes

Nah the story is true. some dude who did one ACL in high school, then did something to his other knee. He prescribed himself 2 teaspoons of cement and played through it for another 5 years or so, all the way through college to the NBA. No ACLs whatsoever.
But that’s a freak case.
Buggered if I can remember his name, Spurs power forward/centre from a few years ago.

EDIT: Dejuan Blair. Look up his story, worth a read.

heaps of snowboarders/skiers have no acls or are down 1.

Show some faith in our youth and have the confidence to back them in, they might even suprise a few around here when they start putting in better performances than BJ.

I think that there is no value in BJ playing VFL. If he gets another year, its 12 to 15 high impact AFL games, effectively acting as another coach.

I’m very comfortable in it being time as well.

I reckon that it comes down to how our trades go. If we get what we want at the trade table, BJ might be done.

Thanks for the fish, BJ. Enjoy retirement and leave the game for those young players on the up.
You have served the club well through our darkest hours.

Seriously?
You don’t think he could help our VFL kids?
Ok then …

3 Likes