Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

Also mentioned in his article that if the club thinks he’s holding some one back he’ll step aside.

This is spot on.
Reckon he would be awesome in the VFL. Could be a playing/assistant coach role.
Its just a matter of if that’s what he wants to do and I’m not so sure he does

2 Likes

I don’t. I hope he gets one more year, less games, more coaching and teaching…then filtering into a coaching position the following year

I hope so too.

1x more year on far,far less coin.
And it be mutually understood 2019 is a year where he could play a fair bit in the 2’s.
He has played alot of footy games in a row,and is very resilient. Could also be a year where he is strategically managed/rested more often.

Best scenario is Redman/Ridley has cracker preseasons and keeps
BJ out of the ones.
But to have BJ and all his experience if we make finals next year would also be valuable.

All comes down to whats been negotiated,accepted and the expectations moving forward.

Thats IF a contract is on offer.

1 Like

No way Goddard plays VFL.

If he got a spot next year and his form got worse and he couldn’t hold his spot, he will retire and we will have wasted a spot for someone that might have had a career with any luck.

His time should be up.

Agree Goddard will rack up huge numbers in the VFL bloke is too good for that level.

It’s amazing how many people are wanting to play Redman or Ridley ahead of Goddard.
It seems people have forgotten about Marty Gleeson. He is the perfect player who has performed the current Goddard role very well in the past. Can understand the calls for Francis to play ahead of Goddard next year but Redman, Ridley and Francis would need awesome preseasons to play ahead of Goddard.

As I’ve posted previously, if we don’t think we can win the premiership next year, then Goddard shouldn’t be signed on for next year.
Only injury will stop Goddard from playing a minimum of 15 games next year.
If someone plays well enough to push him out of our weekly 22, then that’s a bonus. But it is on those players to perform well enough to warrant selection. At this point in time, Redman and Ridley aren’t at the point where they are pushing anyone out of the team.

I’d have Redman straight back into the side. I don’t know if his AFL form was an aberration or not, but it was at a very high level for a bloke that has played less than 10 games.

Very exciting prospect.

FB Saad Hurley Francis
HB Redman Hooker McKenna

Loose Defender : Gleeson

That back 7 at full potential could be amazing.

2 Likes

I’m fairly certain that SFE would be happy to just be right into her.
Hmmmm.
That came out wrong.
Hmmmm.
That also.

If there was a player-coach would all their salary go to the player cap?

Francis, Gleeson, Redman, Ridley, Dea.
All talented medium defenders that could fill the role that BJ plays (as could Heppell)
I wonder if the decision is going to be based on whether they are all still at EFC after trade week. Maybe Francis asks to go home again, perhaps Ridley or Gleeson are required as part of a Shiel (or similar) trade. If the depth chart still has those 5 post trade week then I think it could be the end of BJ but if there is only 3-4 on our list he would be required.

1 Like

Redman and Ridley showed what they could do this year even though for both it’s a small sample. With less freedom we saw Redman pick up 17 and 24 respectfully and Ridley 25 in his first. Redman looked the goods and was unfortunate to pick up an injury. Whether they can perform consistently is unknown but is it necessary?
Considering you likely play 7 defenders and we already have 5 locks in Hurley, Hooker, Saad, McKenna and Gleeson there’s only two spots remaining. Two spots are left to fill Francis, Redman, Ridley, Ambrose, Brown, Dea, McNiece plus others. 3 injuries or drop of form to whoever our starting 7 is still has depth excluding Goddard.

Personally, everything I’ve seen of Redman he can come back next year and have the same output as Gleeson’s back half of the season last year. Similar to Sicily last year is another reference where I’d have him.

1 Like

If you’re having the discussion, then it’s time.

4 Likes

Loose defender…back 7…concepts I loathe with all the passion of a woman scorned.

The sooner this tactic disappears from football, the better I’ll like it.

2 Likes

Gleeson has the capacity to own a game from down back with his ball reading, leap and excellent hands

There’s been a few times in his best games where he was just cutting off everything like no other player I’ve seen.

Definitely ready to take BJ’s spot and do it better imo.

Do you have a will?

1 Like

Nope.
Not sure of the analogy.
I haven’t had a discussion on whether living is really the best idea for me and those around me, yet.
I think that’s a few decades away.

Having said that, if you’re having the discussion it’s probably time.

Redman and Ridley’s form in senior footy has been positive. But they’ll struggle with consistency.

A good example would be Riley Bonner at Port. Before this year, he was very good at SANFL level (including a GF) and also very good at the few games he had at senior level.
He started the year well but he’s lost his way and struggled with consistency.
I see the same development line in Redman and Ridley.

Regardless, if we were playing for a grand final this weekend, I’d back Goddard ahead of either to perform.
I’d also back Marty Gleeson ahead of either to perform (if he was available).
This could change next year due to Redman and Ridley’s progression or due to Goddard’s regression, but it doesn’t hurt us to hang on to Goddard and then see if Redman or Ridley can force their way into the 18.

Unless he struggles with last week’s injury, I don’t think the Goddard decision is as clear cut as the Jobe Watson decision last year.

Would you still back Goddard over the others going into next years GF ?