Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

I’m still wondering how Gleeson and Redman are going to be moving after their ankle surgeries…Marty spent like 2-3 months in a moon boot, didn’t he?

I want Gleeson in the seniors NOW!!

5 Likes

Based on what they’ve produced at senior level up until now, I’d pick Goddard.
I’d be more confident in Francis securing a spot in our backline before Ridley and Redman.
Players don’t always develop on an upward curve. Some plateau, some go backwards. Ridley and Redman have barely played 5 games. Think they need to earn more senior exposure before we can safely say we’d pick them ahead of Goddard in a years time.

You taking the ■■■■ ? I’ve seen enough in Redman and Ridley to be lining up in our starting 22 come round 1 next year.
The team will not only survive post Goddard but will more than likely flourish.

4 Likes

If they are as good as you think then it doesn’t really matter if we keep Goddard or not next year.
They’ll just overtake him while he’s on the list.
If they plateau, then we have Goddard as a fall back.

If we think we can win a GF next year, we’d be silly to cut Goddard now.
If we don’t think we’re a chance, then we should delist him.

2 Likes

I don’t think Goddard would enjoy being considered a fall back/back up.
Redman has done his time in the Vfl and Ridley is silk, lets get better and not stagnate.

Goddard could be the reason of not winning an important game. Imagine a similar incident that occurred against Pies when he gave away 50 because he couldn’t go with a player.
He could also be the difference of getting a star to sign because we have to pay Goddard instead of being replaced with a draftee salary. That extra spot for a draftee may be a +10 yr player missed for 1 extra season of Goddard.
It’s a tough decision, good arguments from both ends. He has to play on a really low salary or not at all for mine.

1 Like

I’d be very surprised if Goddard cares what salary he is on next season. I reckon he just desperately wants one more chance for a flag.

Having said that, i’d be really reluctant to give him another year unless he’s prepared to play a fair bit of 2’s

4 Likes

That swings the other way as well. We could lose a key game because we’re playing an inexperienced 5 game player who could disappear due to the pressure ahead of Goddard. Goddard can make mistakes. He’s been prone to brain fades since 2015 when the game against the Swans was turned on its head when he handballed directly to his opponent for a goal. But he’s capable of still contesting the next play whereas a younger player is likely to go into his shell after such a blunder.

As far as Goddard taking the spot of a gun that we could draft late in the draft, I think it’s largely irrelevant and could be used as a reason for hanging on to other players already on the list before we reach Goddard.

We’ve got Merrett, Green, Long, Loonie and Hartley to delist to make way for a gun draftee. If need be, I’d get rid of Mynott to make way for a gun.

It comes down to whether we seriously think we can win next year’s premiership. If we think the year after is the year, then we start getting games into Ridley and Redman. Given how we’ve played since the Carlton loss and the Bulldogs and Richmond flags the past few years, I’d wager we’re in the win next mode than to wait another year.

2 Likes

I recall when two of the all time champions of Essendon finished their playing careers in the 2nds.

Replaced by others whilst still available. Just faded away.

Their reputations deserved better.

You say all time champions, yet say their reputations deserve better. A better rep than all time champions?

1 Like

He just doesn’t like the idea of them fading away in a lesser comp.

Yes. They deserved a better finish to their careers as 1st choice players.

But it was their choice to play or not, don’t think either player would have been concerned, plenty of players return to bush, suburban footy to finish playing, I don’t see it as an issue.

2 Likes

But we’re talking about the player’s AFL legacy and reputation here.

My point being is that sometimes, it needs to be taken out of the player’s hands.

Great players require skillful handling at the back end of their careers.

Which has a certain irony about it as one of the stand-out qualities that the greats have in common is the ability to read the play yet how many of them don’t read this play well at all.

Excuse my ignorance.

Can the club during trade time indicate Goddard will be signed on but would be open to moving if it will get a deal over the line?
Is that the strategy they can use even if internally they dont intend to sign him for one more year?

I’d be ■■■■■■ if they treated him that way, whether it’s possible or not. Let him play on or retire him.

3 Likes

We aren’t trading him nor would he play on elsewhere IMO.

He will still be a very valuable contributer next year even it is from only 15games + finals

8 Likes

Any truth he has met with Silvagni over the last few days?

I wouldn’t be surprised, SOS would be looking for a leader and would throw money to get him for a season.

1 Like