Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

I, personally, would very much agree with you… but the storm is coming whether we like it or not. The clubs that don’t change… will find a high turnover of talent etc etc.

It is one of the things I like most about our current coaching set up… they seem to be keeping the younger ones very engaged and happy.

Gee Whiz, his farewell speech totally caught me off guard. I was in tears, what he said was heartfelt and really touched me. I was really moved by the man and his sincerity and honesty and the strength of the man and how unafraid he was to show his fragility. His weakest link is his strength of character. Good luck BJ I hope good things come your way.

I am proud of the club making a very tough decision, one of many to come. I hope so because we as a club have been stuck for a long time.

4 Likes

my favourite memory of bj is his very first kick for us in the nab game against the bulldogs i think? absolute bullet in to the forward 50 to a leading forward. hadn’t seen anything like it for years.

Old people don’t understand young people and think that’s the young people’s fault.

Drink.

2 Likes

He IS an Essendon legend.

7 Likes

Anyway Goddard has been a deadset champion at this club. Dumped into the biggest sh*tstorm ever and has completely engaged with the club and become one of us, when others would have been looking for a way out before Rd 1 of 2013.

Good luck Brendon

4 Likes

i miss him already.

In many ways this ruthless decision is exactly what Brendon would do himself as Whoosha. Think he knows it too but it still tough.

We are a 145 year old club who hasn’t won a final in 15 or so years. We need to act in a manner that gets this club the best chance of success… no matter the emotion.

BJ was one of my all time favourites and his obsession to encourage the players to be elite in their preperation has been so important. His courage to speak out boldly against AFL heirachy and media to support the 34 was inspiring. Every year he was top 5 in the Chrichton Medal. Winner in 2013 and Captain in 2016 to lead the young boys. His legacy is profound.

But it was the right call. Just hard to lose a champion person and player

18 Likes

I believe the first point and that’s totally expected but seriously doubt the second part as it’s unlikely young players are giving those sort of ultimatums.

I may be making this up, but did BJ say something like, I may not always show it but know that I love you all?

I suspect there’s enough evidence that Brendan’s demonstrative behaviour may be irritating or confronting to some.

1 Like

Think I used to say that about my Parents.

I have no problem understanding young people at all, that is why I do not like them.

3 Likes

This! The man should never have to pay for his own beer again as long as there’s a Bombers fan in the same pub.

3 Likes

Surprised the captain hasn’t spoken yet…

why should he?

So he is in the top 5 of the crichton every year he has been here but is not in our best 22? How does that work?

2 Likes

Why wouldn’t he. He tweets about a lot of things I thought maybe he would say something about BJ - considering what he has meant to the club… Maybe he is saving it til after the final game…

I still think of TD being tapped on the shoulder at the end of 92. He’d played 1 year too long imo. A tough call on a legend but look what happened the following year. Gotta let go sometimes. Thanks BJ. LdYW.

2 Likes

Yeah, he would have annoyed a lot of people especially if he’s bossing everyone around and then making errors himself.
Also he mentioned a few weeks ago it was up to the younger blokes to knock him off his perch. It might have just been implied pressure from the media but it could have been brought up directly to him in meetings.
As for kids today (I’m 40yo by the way) I’m not sure they are entitled or whatever but general consensus these days is that yelling doesn’t work and that you want people to be informed and engaged and any criticism should be constructive and civil.
And don’t forget footy clubs are a workplace and so there should t be any kind of abusive or threatening behavior whether it’s in an office or on a battlefield.

2 Likes

Hawthorn supporting friend of mine hopes he goes there. Says they need someone like him in their backline.

Yes informed and engaged is good but; many of the kids today cannot stomach any criticism whatsoever and that includes showing how to do something them when a mistake has been made how to do something differently and why. Anything they deem to be a put down and the conversation is shut down immediately. Some of them need to harden up.

How on earth do people learn if not from making mistakes and correcting them?

1 Like