Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

It was indeed sad seeing TD and Simon Madden battelling in the ressies in '92.

3 Likes

It works because clubs have to look at the future as well as the now and they know he will be a worse player next year than what he was this year and if they don’t give opportunities to kids, they leave.

Champion at St.Kilda
Champion at Essendon.
Captain of Essendon.
Demander of effort.

All the best BJ in anything you do .

8 Likes

And another thread descends into generalisations about different generations…

1 Like

So its to give an opportunity to someone who might be Ok but so far unproven? Young guys no longer have to prove themselves any more? Just wait until they delist all the old guys so they can have a go?

1 Like

The players who are likely to replace him are hardly first year kids that they have no idea if they are any good or not though are they?

Could be too truthful, that’s one of his problems. Tell it how he sees it.

The younger generation don’t like that sort of communication in all its forms.

Thank you BJ for your service, in the wash up, Essendon probably got more from you, than you got from Essendon.

Best of luck.

4 Likes

Haven’t been good enough to take his position so far.

1 Like

Which is where the looking to the future part of list management comes into it.

Not that hard to understand.

I think we as a society are far too ready to throw people on the scrap heap.

2 Likes

Interesting comment from Nick Riewoldt on radio that it’s a unique situation with sport in that it could almost be classed as unfair dismissal in these circumstances.

Senior player who is still performing adequately in role & still would being pushed out to allow for unproven young player.

Not my view however as list management has to make tough decisions at times…

Giving young players opportunity aside I think BJ was the easiest way for us to free up most amount of salary cap space. And reality is one year of him versus 5+ of a gun in area of need wins out.

I would like to comment on Riewoldt’s comment regarding unfair dismissal, as I find it infuriating.

However I feel that it would disrespect the BJ thread… so I’ll refrain.

From here (http://m.essendonfc.com.au/news/2012-01-02/life-membership-selection-criteria-amended)

• Playing of 150 senior matches (AFL home and away or finals);
  • 10 years on the senior list;
  • A Premiership player; and
  • At the Board’s discretion.

So he’ll finish 22 games short. Would be pretty snarky not to give it to him, given he was captain, and gave the club so much through the saga.

12 Likes

Reiwoldt is a moron. How can unfair dismissal apply to a fixed term contract ffs, ffs?

8 Likes

Funny how it’s almost always you old ■■■■■ complaining about it, since it’s supposedly a young person’s issue??

BJ’s contract is expiring. Nick needs to learn basic employment contracts. It’s up to employer to decide if they renew a new contract and offer employee a job. They chose not too.

As far as youth earning games…Ridley earned his senior games. Redman well and truly earned his senior games and Francis earned his games and won the rising star. The depth of talent is very strong if you add in Gleeson and to be honest these guys will be the key to a premiership run in 2-3 years.

6 Likes

YOU’RE GONNA WATCH THE VIDEO AGAIN, AND YOU’RE GONNA CRY LIKE THE REST OF US !

GOT IT ???

PUNK

9 Likes

FWIW I’m in my 60th year and I agree with you.

2 Likes

Something that should always be remembered in here.

1 Like