Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

Wouldn’t be a final game without one last kick in calamity. Thanks for the memories and service BJ.

Gonna miss this guy. Some of the clambers would infuriate, some of the finger pointing looked bad but it was always coming from a really good place, from the heart. Said it earlier, I’ll say it again, I sincerely hope we win a flag soon, he will have played a massive part in getting us there. Hopefully he’s not lost to us.

8 Likes

I feel that getting Goddard really opened up the eyes of the list managers to trading in players.

Will miss him.

Thanks BJ
best wishes for your future

had the last kick in the game for us

2 Likes

Legend of the EFC. Thanks for everything BJ.

Stood up and led us through our darkest period. A great player. A great leader. Player with heart exposed.
Thank you for coming to EFC.
Has slowed and next year would have struggled so tough correct call made for both BJ and clubs sake.

Put out your Pretzels?

He seems to want to keep playing. And he’s certainly still up for it. I hope he gets another contract somewhere. Essendon are much better off for having him around. Can think of a few sides that could use his positive influence and playing capacity for a season or two.

Farewell BJ… Thanks for everything. Have loved having you at Essendon. Glad you and the team had a win to mark your last game as a player with us. Good luck for the future.

Really hoping we can hold onto BJ in some sort of development role. Just too good to let go. I’m 35 and he’s in my top 5 most important people to role through the club in my living memory. Don’t underestimate what this guy has done for us at all. Sad face

3 Likes

Would be fantastic in a development role. Even if you discount the actually footy part, he would be a great guy to just teach the kids how to get your body in the right condition week after week to play AFL and make the most of your career

After the Francis mark, this was the highlight in play for me. He knew what he was doing, and made SPP look like a witches hat, admittedly not a difficult thing to do, but the little move was all class and the delivery to Tippa was perfecto! Apart from the OOBOTF off the side of the boot, his kicking was excellent last night.

Played with passion and that was quite evident last night, as he struggled to hold back the tears. Good to see he had plenty of personal support there as well, with his family, Nick R and Sam Fisher. Way to go BJ, way to go. A tough decision for the club to make, but a necessary and correct one. Goddard will always be fondly remembered as the guy who inherited the biggest mess ever thrust upon a captain, and he rose to the occasion, never shirked an issue on or off the field. Much respect.

6 Likes

I got a different vibe from watching his aftermatch interview. Not sure he wants to up and move clubs for a year or two especially interstate.
If he doesn’t get picked up I wonder if he would play in our VFL side?

1 Like

I think he will go to the media or coaching instead of playing. Plenty of clubs have come out saying he doesn’t fit their list.

1 Like

Agree, a young family with extended friends and family around him, I doubt he’d do a Hodge and head interstate.
That would potentially leave Carlton, whom have already publicly ruled him out of their plans, and his former side, unlikely.

Can’t see another Melbourne club in desperate need for leadership.

have the Saints said anything? theyre a mess down back

I think Richo already said they won’t be looking at offering him a contract.

Not heard anything, but I doubt they will go back on the hardline decisions of cutting past champs to bring in BJ.
Clubs are stubborn like that.

They go after McGoven hard I reckon.

Emailed Xavier Campbell asking him to pass on our thanks and best wishes to BJ outlining all the great things he’s done for our club. Xavier responded within a day thanking us and assuring that he’d pass it on. Be great if all the heartfelt positive messages in this thread could find their way to him.

18 Likes