Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

Agreed. Didn’t he pretty much say that initially he still wanted to play on but now he’s not so sure?
I reckon he’ll end up in a coaching role somewhere

Can someone post the latest Herald sun article about Goddard?

1 Like

No. Sorry.

5 Likes

Just watched the speech to the players from a few days ago.

The big fish we sought for so long. Worth every cent and even more. Gave us his all and more.

Right decision but still sad. Few players have given more over their careers for no flag.

4 Likes

Beeeeej

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/brendon-goddard-reflect-on-week-his-time-at-essendon-came-to-and-end-and-what-his-future-holds/news-story/2d83f7cf5a59c48adcc81158704a8683

Brendon Goddard speaks about his last week at Essendon, retirement, win over Port Adelaide

BRENDON GODDARD, Herald Sun

I DON’T remember driving home.

It was last Monday afternoon, and only an hour or so after John Worsfold had told me I was done at Essendon.

It was a tough journey in the car by myself, lost in my own thoughts about what had just happened, and what was going to come next.

You know that feeling when you get lost in the your thoughts in the car. When you finally pull into your driveway, you instantly think: ‘S—. how I did get here? Was I speeding? How I did I actually get there?’

I had tried to mentally prepare myself for this moment, but until you actually hear the words, you don’t know how to react. Or what to think, or feel?

Earlier in the day Woosha had told me to come up to his office for a chat when I was finished. Walking up there, I was kind of hoping it was something else, though through the processes of elimination, there wasn’t much else we needed to talk about.

I knew it was going to be a decision one way or the other.

I won’t go into detail about what he said to me, but he talked about how the club had had a list management meeting that morning and that they believed my time was up at Essendon.

The meeting only lasted a few minutes. I’m not one who is going to sit there and say something I don’t mean. There was nothing to gain from me disagreeing, or telling him I thought they had made the wrong decision, which I still do.

So I just grabbed my stuff and walked out the door, and went home to be with my wife, Rosie, and my kids, Billie and Mackenzie.

I didn’t sleep much that night.

I’d made no secret of the fact that I wanted to play on with Essendon, but now that had been taken away from me, I had to start making plans.

The next day I met with my management company, TLA, with Adam Ramanauskas, and we spoke with Craig Kelly, who was on business in the US. We talked about the future, and how we wanted my last week at Essendon to work.

That’s why I wasn’t at the main training session last Tuesday.

My wife, to some degree, was worried I was going to be bitter and angry. But I know the industry too well. I’ve accepted the decision, even if I still don’t agree with it.

Clubs need to make tough decisions, that’s the brutality of the AFL. The game doesn’t stand still for anyone. It is ‘Hi, thanks, goodbye and next man up’.

In a way, I wish my body was failing me, and I was struggling to get up for games, but the reality is, I’m still feeling good.

That’s why I have never been happy to use the word retirement.

I still think I have plenty to offer, and I would never say never. But the more I think about it, maybe Friday night’s game against Port Adelaide - my 334th AFL game - is the right time to go out.

It was great to have my family - Rosie, the kids, my mum Patti and my sisters Laura and Claire - and some of my friends there, including Nick Riewoldt and Sam Fisher.

I don’t show my appreciation enough to Rosie. I would love to say I never brought footy home with me, but before the kids came along, there’s no doubt I did.

She’s ridden the rollercoaster with me and I can’t thank her enough.

I know I haven’t always been the most popular person for some footy fans. They have judged me only on what they see on the weekends.

The other side of that is that it p----- me off a little because they think I am like that all the time.

I’m not.

It does annoy me to an extent how some think they have got the right to judge me. I used to be judgmental when I was a teenager, but footy helped me realise you don’t judge a book by its cover.

I can’t do anything about what people say or think about me. All I can say is that I quickly learnt I was never going to live my life trying to please everyone.

If people want to crucify me for the passion I show, that’s fine. But I would like them to know that it comes from a genuine care for my teammates and a desire to win.

I know I have occasionally stepped over the line, but my teammates know what I am like from Monday to Friday, and that’s what matters.

As emotional a night as it was, there was a funny moment during the game, when I sold some “candy” to Sam Powell-Pepper. I hadn’t done that in 10 years, so he had every right to assume I would handball to Saady running past.

We had a laugh and he said: ‘Yeah, you got me, you ■■■■■■■’.

My immediate plan is to spend more time with my family. I’ve had a joke with Rosie that she can go out to work, and I will be the stay-at-home dad.

We’ve got weddings in Bali and Portugal later in the year, so we will have a bit of a holiday too.

Some might be scared about the unknown ahead. I’m excited by whatever that might be.

29 Likes

*kicks out on the full

2 Likes

If he ever writes an autobiography, I will be the first one to buy it. He would be a very interesting read. Has seen and experienced a hell of a lot through his career

2 Likes

If he does go to another club, it would have to be one right on the brink of the ultimate success. He deserves more than going to some ■■■■ stain club getting belted every week.

But, by the sounds of that article he’s coming more to terms with retiring.

What a ■■■■■■■ champ he’s been for us.

3 Likes

A straight shooter to the last, always was, always will be. Much respect for BJ Goddard and the way he has carried himself throughout. l still think coaching is his go, and would have liked Essendon to find a way to retain his services. Perhaps in a couple of years time.

2 Likes

Gutless snipe.

2 Likes

Mate, you’re full of it. Take a ■■■■■■■ joke.

2 Likes

That was a disrespectful cheap shot, not a joke. Jokes are supposed to be funny

1 Like

I’m sure BJ gives a toss.

1 Like

What a weak rotten response

1 Like

for what he did for the club, he can have a statue next to Longy.

1 Like

I’d nominate him for a statue at the Hangar, for services rendered during the worst time in our clubs history, something he didn’t sign up for but accepted with maturity and grace. For all the BS he cops about finger pointing, he certainly didn’t do any of that during the saga when most others in his position would have (rightly) felt bitter and angry. He came here to win a flag and instead he won the respect and admiration of countless Essendon fans, myself included. He has earned our respect and contributed more to this club than any one on this forum.

I think this pose should be immortalised in bronze

Put out your Pretzels

10 Likes

Geez calm down mate

Hmm, seems that your sense of humour is wasted. I got it, I must be a ■■■■ as well.

I loved that we got one last capture of BJ pointing and yelling “who’s on them?!” on the ump mics

The guy was a massive leader on the field and all he ever got for it was abuse from nuffies. Onya Beej

4 Likes