Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

thanks for posting Darli, great read.

Found the above the most insightful. I get the feeling as great as he was on field for us during his time- his true legacy will be what he achieved behind closed doors with setting standards and making sure people are accountable to one another. Everyone needs to push each other to achieve the ultimate- glad he brought that with him.

7 Likes

No he wasn’t. People are overstating his role in his first season

1 Like

Did more than most. Less than some. About right.

Fabric repaired, our culture looks to be stronger than ever, going by the training reports.

No they are not. Extremely handy and consistent in a side that was half there

2 Likes

On ya BJ. Legend.

8 Likes

Yep legend.

Gave his all to our club and an outstanding player.

Shame he couldn’t get the flag he dedicated his whole career too.

12 Likes

That’s really nice for Goddard.

(will admit first time I have heard of the Madden Medal)

8 Likes

Too true.

His situation is the exemplar argument for the return of the Veterans spots. GMF why they ever removed them.

3 Likes

I thought they just restructured it, not actually removing them. So veteran salaries are still discounted in the salary cap.

Might be something for @Dunlop to explain

1 Like

And he’s playing pennant golf off +1

3 Likes

Can anyone get to the herald sun article about Carlton offering him a gig?

Brendon Goddard reveals Carlton offered him an AFL lifeline

Jay Clark, Herald Sun

3 minutes

March 5, 2019 9:56pm

Subscriber only

Former St Kilda and Essendon superstar Brendon Goddard has revealed Carlton was prepared to throw him an AFL lifeline last month.

Goddard, who has taken out the Madden Medal for his stellar career and off-field contribution, retired last year after he wasn’t offered a new contract by Essendon.

The AFL players’ Association award is given to the recently retired player who best demonstrates on-field excellence, personal development and growth and community spirit.

Goddard said the Blues showed some interest in adding him under the new supplementary selection rules.

The Blues lost Sam Docherty to another knee reconstruction in Decemberand Tom Bugg to a shock retirement in the new year, spiking their interest.

But Goddard said he was unconvinced on the move.

“It was post-January, so it wasn’t when everyone was (speculating about it in December),” Goddard said.

“I was struggling to get my head around it after not doing much for three or four months and putting on a bit of weight and not training, just because I knew I didn’t have to.

“It wasn’t until I got back from overseas that someone made me aware about the new rule that you can be signed up until March 15.

“I actually thought, ‘S—, I’d better get myself somewhat fit’. But that kind of fizzled out anyway.”

Brendon Goddard, who was awarded the Madden Medal, says he was sounded out by the Blues. Picture: Getty Images

Goddard, whose fiery temperament sometimes caused headlines, played 334 games, won Essendon’s 2013 best and fairest and was twice crowned All-Australian, before retiring at the end of last season.

He also studied and was involved in several charitable causes, including Maddie Riewoldt’s Vision, the Purple Bombers and the Sacred Heart Mission.

“To win an award that has been voted on by your peers is a huge honour,” Goddard said.

“I gave everything I had to the sport and set incredibly high standards of myself and my teammates and that extended off the field as well.

“To be alongside the likes of Nick Riewoldt, Matthew Pavlich, Chris Judd and Lenny Hayes as a Madden Medal winner is truly humbling, not to mention being nominated with the other four individuals tonight – they’re all stars in their own right.”

Goddard claimed the award ahead of other Madden Medal nominees Lee Spurr, Bernie Vince, Cyril Rioli and Eric Mackenzie.

2 Likes

BJ - I can still play on.

Carlton - How about for us?

BJ - Ummm… suddenly feeling a bit old…

29 Likes

ha - reminds me of this

5 Likes

Just when you thought there was nothing else BJ could do for us, he gives Carlton the middle finger one last time. A true hero.

And we know how much he wanted to play more football.

19 Likes

A true Champion of Essendon.

3 Likes

Pretty sure he barracked for carlton as a kid too.

Says a lot about Carlton.

4 Likes

They had the opportunity to pick up Goddard at the end of last year but decided on Bugg to come in and help the kids out. Long live Brendan Goddard and may Carlton long remain farked.

4 Likes

as did Shiel

I detect a pattern

1 Like