Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

I'm just not sure he should get a 2 year contract at this point. He is treacle slow and his disposal is not what it was.

Agree. Harsh but I think ideally he’s at that stage where it should be a year by year contract. Maybe given all that has happened they are happy to give back a little and grant the 2 years.
Sad truth is, he is a bit of a liability on the spread nowadays.

He’s done so much for us over the past few years- he came here to experience success. Give him 2 years & he can be part of great times ahead. I think he deserves that.

I'm just not sure he should get a 2 year contract at this point. He is treacle slow and his disposal is not what it was.

Agree. Harsh but I think ideally he’s at that stage where it should be a year by year contract. Maybe given all that has happened they are happy to give back a little and grant the 2 years.
Sad truth is, he is a bit of a liability on the spread nowadays.

Not so sure… As a player in a struggling Saints team he was found out. I think given where our team is this year that fits his early playing days and isn’t a player who lifts others around him.

I think he is a guy who thrives in a good team and I think (hope) we’ll see him be much more damaging with a complete side around him next season.

I’ve said this before, but if we don’t take this guy to 100 games, even if he’s on one farking leg, so any boys he has have EFC as a father/son choice, we are stark raving mad.

He is one of the best things to happen to the EFC this past four years and deserves another contract. Xav said one more year with guarantee of another year if he meets contract targets. Sounds great to me. Can’t wait for him to carve it up again next year. He has statistically been our second best player (81) (was first till injured) this year on AFL rankings. only behind Zerrett (57).

I seriously don’t understand the critisism of Goddard.

I don’t think it’s criticism. He’s slowed down a bit. Not necessarily going to be best 22 for the next full 2 years. If the money isn’t too high and he is willing to be a depth player if others have passed him, then no worries with 2 years.
I just don’t love seeing champions like him dropped to the magoos and playing only as cover for injuries.

i fkn love this bloke, you can barely remember he played for the saints

he’s a bomber now, and i hope we do everything we can to keep him at the club for as long as we can in any role we can

we would be lucky

champion of the game, at his best almost single handily won a grand final against a much better opponent

I like him too, but I still think of him as a Saints player, a couple more seasons I might see it differently

He’s an Essendon captain. Bomber. Don’t see how he is anything else.

Mercurial Saint. Champion Don.

huh? I respect the guy, I like the guy, but that’s taking the p!ss

He’s a champion. He put his hand up to be captain at an unprecedented time and I think that’s commendable. He has pretty much sacrificed his game for the younger blokes this year. Deserves success.

You can call him a “Champion Don” if you want, but what about when his career is done and dusted and he’s sitting next to his mate Roo in the Saints Coaching box cheering them on? That may not happen, but I’m going to wait to see how things pan out before throwing away those lines.

BTW, this is no criticism of Goddard, I just struggle to accept borrowed players more than others

Even if you didn’t like him, you have to respect him.

So he’s either respected, liked or both.

He’s got great integrity, loyalty , and work ■■■■■■ hard.

I’m certain some of our youngsters are being guided towards elite standards by Brendan’s leadership.

Thanks BJ

During his leadership talk at our work on Monday BJ said that after the CAS decision in January he thought this would be a miserable season. He said that it has been anything but miserable and actually the funnest (I think he made up that word) season he’s had at senior level. He has enjoyed the development of the young guys this season without worrying about the pressure of having to win games. He also said all of the top ups, or extra listed players, have brought various qualities to complement the young guys. He was great to listen to.

i fkn love this bloke, you can barely remember he played for the saints

he’s a bomber now, and i hope we do everything we can to keep him at the club for as long as we can in any role we can

we would be lucky

champion of the game, at his best almost single handily won a grand final against a much better opponent

I thought you said you could barely remember
He is one of the best things to happen to the EFC this past four years and deserves another contract. Xav said one more year with guarantee of another year if he meets contract targets. Sounds great to me. Can't wait for him to carve it up again next year. He has statistically been our second best player (81) (was first till injured) this year on AFL rankings. only behind Zerrett (57).

I agree but the fact that they rate Zerret the 57th best player in the Comp shows how sh$t that stat is.

Im ok with giving him a 1 year deal.

2 year deal is too much.

If he plays well enough he will earn another year.

Should be a life member of the club. His leadership has been huge over the saga.

We owe him way more than he owes us!!
By far my favourite recruit!

Could take Hibbard rile across halfback

Get him back on the angry pills for 2017

He has been a wonderful recruit and has offered great leadership in dark times. However the 1 years deal with hurdle KPIs that trigger a second year is spot on.

We should pay him an extra year after he retires for what he came in to

Back in

Only a one year deal though. Interesting