Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

douche canoe

douche canoe

I’m soooo using that term from now on

BJ’s just gettign in the practice for his post player career as the greatest goal umpire that ever umpired.

BJ's just gettign in the practice for his post player career as the greatest goal umpire that ever umpired.

I love this so much

• douche canoe
Very honest interview, except the bit about how Mad Monday no longer exists . Right. Very funny Enjoy the group gathering on Monday BJ.

Sounds like all the boys were invited to that group gathering though. Would be a pretty excited bunch plotting for the assault on 2017

Very honest interview, except the bit about how Mad Monday no longer exists . Right. Very funny Enjoy the group gathering on Monday BJ.

“Group gathering” aka mad Monday isn’t an official club event, hence doesn’t contravene CAS sentence. Could it be that there’s some “bonding” to occur at such a gathering? 2017 starts now.

Was really good today, copped quite a few hits for the team too. Really stuck his tackles as well which was great to see

This year out mad Monday started about eight seconds after the siren. So technically it’ll be a mad Sayurday evening into Sunday followed by Monday.

Good chat with BJ on the RSN brekkie show this morning. Worth a listen.

I love this bloke.

Just comes across and is 100% clubman, red and black through and through.

That’s something to be said about our culture (and st kilda’s)

I love this bloke.

Just comes across and is 100% clubman, red and black through and through.

That’s something to be said about our culture (and st kilda’s)

long bow mate, it probably says more about goddard than anything to do with st kilda’s culture
another option would be that that goddard is a reflection of the culture he learned to play his footy in - that too would be naive
don’t forget goddard cried when he first played against his old team - it’s about the bond between team mates mainly
saints may be a badly run club and they may have had a party culture spanning decades but do we really need to tenuously compare ourselves to the aints to make ourselves feel better
4 years ago we set the bar for the worst run footy club of all time

BJ is trying to keep the lid on.

And he likes the idea of JD, Hooker and Hurley all down forward. That would seriously stretch a few backlines, assuming they could get out of each other’s way.

Essendon Bombers captain Brendon Goddard warns fans to temper 2017 expectations

Essendon captain Brendon Goddard has warned fans to temper their expectations of what the side can achieve next season.

The Essendon community is abuzz at the prospect of most of their banned players returning to the team next year after season-long doping bans.

Goddard is looking forward to the Bombers taxiing into 2017 without “excess baggage”.

Dyson Heppell, Cale Hooker, Michael Hurley, Tom Bellchambers, Brent Stanton, Ben Howlett, David Myers, Travis Colyer and Heath Hocking have all re-committed to the club while serving their suspensions.

Michael Hibberd is the only banned Bomber to request a trade while Jobe Watson and Tayte Pears are still yet to announce what their intentions are for next year.

However, Goddard stressed that the reintegration of so many senior players into the team didn’t automatically mean success was imminent.

“I think we’ve got to be realistic. There’s a lot of unknowns in all of it,” Goddard told RSN on Thursday.

"That’s why we’ve got to quell a bit of the excitement from a lot of the people and fans.

"Everyone’s excited to have them back, don’t get me wrong, but in terms of performance and how they’re going to come back – that’s a lot of unknowns.

“We hope that they come in seamlessly but the reality is they’ll probably take a bit of time.”

In the returning players’ favour, Goddard said they could take confidence from the fact that they’ve been sticking to a strict training regime.

“They’ve been training hard and continue to train hard now coming back from holidays,” Goddard said.

“They’re doing everything they can, they have done everything they can to be in good shape and mentally they’ll be in the best shape they have been in four years.”

Goddard was enthused by the prospect of playing with his banned teammates next season without “excess baggage” following the four-year supplement scandal which is still yet to reach its conclusion.

“Everyone managed to deal with it in their own way and differently so some are less affected than others and others are more affected than others,” Goddard said.

“The thing I’m most excited about is playing footy with those guys and everyone with, essentially, the excess baggage gone and that black cloud that’s been hanging over the footy club for four or five years.”

In his last year before being suspended, Hurley claimed All-Australian honours and finished second in the club’s best-and-fairest playing in defence.

But with the emergence of Michael Hartley, Mitch Brown and Patrick Ambrose down back this year, Goddard would like to see Hurley play up forward next year.

The 26-year-old has spent a chunk of his career in attack and has over 100 goals to his name.

“He obviously had an outstanding year as a backman and blossomed as a footballer and I think that if he was to go forward, that would really have helped him and maybe he can take his game to another level as a forward,” Goddard said.

“I had him as a third tall down forward with Hooker and (Joe) Daniher up there.”

BJ is trying to keep the lid on.

And he likes the idea of JD, Hooker and Hurley all down forward. That would seriously stretch a few backlines, assuming they could get out of each other’s way.

Essendon Bombers captain Brendon Goddard warns fans to temper 2017 expectations

Essendon captain Brendon Goddard has warned fans to temper their expectations of what the side can achieve next season.

The Essendon community is abuzz at the prospect of most of their banned players returning to the team next year after season-long doping bans.

Goddard is looking forward to the Bombers taxiing into 2017 without “excess baggage”.

Dyson Heppell, Cale Hooker, Michael Hurley, Tom Bellchambers, Brent Stanton, Ben Howlett, David Myers, Travis Colyer and Heath Hocking have all re-committed to the club while serving their suspensions.

Michael Hibberd is the only banned Bomber to request a trade while Jobe Watson and Tayte Pears are still yet to announce what their intentions are for next year.

However, Goddard stressed that the reintegration of so many senior players into the team didn’t automatically mean success was imminent.

“I think we’ve got to be realistic. There’s a lot of unknowns in all of it,” Goddard told RSN on Thursday.

"That’s why we’ve got to quell a bit of the excitement from a lot of the people and fans.

"Everyone’s excited to have them back, don’t get me wrong, but in terms of performance and how they’re going to come back – that’s a lot of unknowns.

“We hope that they come in seamlessly but the reality is they’ll probably take a bit of time.”

In the returning players’ favour, Goddard said they could take confidence from the fact that they’ve been sticking to a strict training regime.

“They’ve been training hard and continue to train hard now coming back from holidays,” Goddard said.

“They’re doing everything they can, they have done everything they can to be in good shape and mentally they’ll be in the best shape they have been in four years.”

Goddard was enthused by the prospect of playing with his banned teammates next season without “excess baggage” following the four-year supplement scandal which is still yet to reach its conclusion.

“Everyone managed to deal with it in their own way and differently so some are less affected than others and others are more affected than others,” Goddard said.

“The thing I’m most excited about is playing footy with those guys and everyone with, essentially, the excess baggage gone and that black cloud that’s been hanging over the footy club for four or five years.”

In his last year before being suspended, Hurley claimed All-Australian honours and finished second in the club’s best-and-fairest playing in defence.

But with the emergence of Michael Hartley, Mitch Brown and Patrick Ambrose down back this year, Goddard would like to see Hurley play up forward next year.

The 26-year-old has spent a chunk of his career in attack and has over 100 goals to his name.

“He obviously had an outstanding year as a backman and blossomed as a footballer and I think that if he was to go forward, that would really have helped him and maybe he can take his game to another level as a forward,” Goddard said.

“I had him as a third tall down forward with Hooker and (Joe) Daniher up there.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is next level!! Not just ONE of HOOKER and HURLEY FORWARD but BOTH of them!!!

B: Bags Hartley Ambrose
HB: Dea Brown Gleeson/Kelly

HF: Colyer Joe D Lang/Lav
F: Fanta Hooker Hurls

BJ, PLS

Goddard goes full ape. That being said we will also have Fantasia and Walla at their feet, not to mention better delivery.

We just can’t leave the backline too exposed. Hartley, Ambrose and Brown could be the three that stay down back.

Maybe thats why it took so long for him to re-sign, club wants him forward, he wants back

hope BJ is taking the ■■■■

I don’t endorse it, but the forward structure mentioned earlier would be the closest thing to how Adelaide operate:

Walker- Hooker
Jenkins- Joe D (5 minute stints in the ruck each quarter to relieve No1 ruckman)
McGovern- Hurley
Lynch- Lang/LAV (The hit-up forward who works up the ground to connect defense and attack)
Betts- Fanta
Cameron- Colyer/Tippa

I thought Adelaide operated like it was still 1972.

Bellchambers doesn’t seem to fit in anywhere.