Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

The worst bit is, if the story came out that some other top team we’re doing this, you could almost predict the people critical of EFC doing it would be critical if EFC not doing it.

It’s almost like BJ and co are pointing and shouting for a reason?? Bizarre.

6 Likes

All very well for the leadership group to be making decisions on the field, and learning on the job, but if the coach can see that something isn’t being done then surely it makes sense to send the runner out to word up the leadership group on the field or make the changes than wait until the break.
Guess you have to weigh up between letting the leadership group learn and grow from their decisions on the field and maybe losing a few games along the way while hoping they improve at it for the future.

Good on you Dave. PTSD affects too many of us vets, as a fellow Sig I am glad you are getting some help with this.

BJ to have a cracking game today and help get us over the line.

4 Likes

At least one… and then… if anyone was a born coach it’s this guy

4 Likes

Given one of the reasons BJ let the Saints was because they weren’t prepared to give him more than 1 or 2 years or pay him accordingly, I wonder if he’d still be playing with them today?

Meaningless hypothetical … anyway, he’s given me nothing but joy since joining the club. Dead set champ playing at the top of his game. Would be great if Essendon could win in his milestone game?

Go Bombers!

On AFL.com.au

When asked if he feels more like a saint or Bomber player, he said after a few years in retirement he would feel more like a Saints player as he played 205 games for them… seriously? Who asks a rubbish question like that…

I would hope he sees himself as a Bomber… Gave us plenty to be happy about.

Really hope we can get him a win for his milestone. The guy has given the club so much under the worst circumstances.

If anyone deserves a win for their 300th its BJ

2 Likes

I thought it was obvious but it appears to not be so for some.

If people had watched the Cats game last night they would have seen Dangerfield on the sideline working on the onfield setup and advising the coaches of what he thought was best.

3 Likes

Well done on 300 games BJ. You have been enormous for two clubs and maintained high standards throughout. Let’s hope the game has one or two special surprises left for you.

4 Likes

Seemed out of sorts for the first 2 1/2 quarters but had a good last third of the game.

I’ve still got no idea why he had the captaincy stripped off him for this year.
Heppell’s a very very nice bloke. Very nice

I kinda don’t think Heppell’s right for the captaincy. A good leader but there’s a certain ruthlessness expected of being captain. (before calls of revisionism, i wanted zach merrett to be captain, so call me a muppet for that).

Was having this discussion yesterday. Love Hep and he should grow into the role (remember Jobe saying how much he improved in it after 2010) but I’m yet to see the sign that when ■■■■ hits the fan out there he’ll be able to pick us up and put the side on his back. Our nice guy midfield worries me in that regard - a problem solved if Francis and Lav ever get fit and run through there.

My favourite thing about lav isn’t even his highlight, but him punching a saints guy in the head while joe takes a screamer over them

2 Likes

Just love Hepp’s look about five seconds after the lollies have been smashed onto the floor by BJ. Gold.

Heppell will be a fine captain.

There are many ways of driving performance from a team. Kids a winner and it will shine through eventually.

He will naturally get meaner with age (as evidenced by Blitz itself).

I agree that he’s not the “fire and brimstone” type of leader, but there’s more than one type of leader…
I think one thing that stands out about Hepp is his one-on-one approach with the youngsters. Rarely will a kid coming into the club not mention that Hepps called him/ has been showing him around/ looking out for him etc. so he’s seen as a very positive influence, very approachable, and obviously admired.

3 Likes

The media are making a big deal about him pushing some food off a table, and wanting a response.

Are you f*cking serious?

Gees you should see me during and after a casual game of Futsal, cricket and football. Esepecially when we’ve been getting murdered by the officials all game.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing frustration. I have never had any issue with Goddard giving a spray to team mates, umpires or journalists. I just don’t understand any of our supporters complaining or not liking Goddard because he hates losing and shows that he hates losing. Our whole club could learn a thing or two about they hatred of losing.

2 Likes

Even he said it was pretty average behaviour.
And it was.