Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

I thought he played a great game last night. Has had some lower standard games by his standards recently but glad to see him back to his best.

He was ok, but was he really back to his best? His first half of the season was terrific but he is a bit of a liability in the 1v1s, kicking is mostly ok and he still sets up from HB fairly well, but a lot of useless stats sometimes. Love the man to bits but still think 10-12 games next year would be ideal as a full season might be a stretch.

1 Like

He looks tired, he has had a big year carrying the team at times and has been good. I don’t think we have managed his season very welll.

It’s a bit hard when your job is to laser passes into the corridor as your bread and butter but your midfield has the work rate of a bunch of couch potatoes bar 1 or 2.

Goddard is a cream on top player.

And in 2012 when we had Jobe and Stants in their prime (and Judas was tapping it down people’s throats for fun and then going forward and slotting banana’s from 50 out on the boundary) it was fine but now that one is well past their prime and the other can’t even get a game, it sticks out more than ever that Goddard is trying to pull things off that the surrounding cattle can’t manage or adapt to.

Of course he makes the odd blunder but the same can be said about any player.

He’ll be a lot better next year if we get him a few players that can play to a high standard consistently in the midfield which at this stage is nothing but a pipe dream.

1 Like

BJ’s unique in that whilst he adds so much to the team, he also stuffs up alot and costs us repeatedly.
He can often both be in the votes and also be pointed at (no fingers at least) for a reason to losing a game - frustrating really.

1 Like

Agree - he did look tired last night but played a solid game.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he got rested this week.

If so, it would be ideal to debut Mutch on a wing.

I don’t want solid from a guy like Goddard, he should be in our best and actually influencing games. He just doesn’t. We expect too little of our senior players these days, it goes back to the days of letting our old favourites keep getting games on the basis that that we’re too scared to see the alternative. He needs to impact a game, not being a silent contributor. He currently reminds me of guys like McVeigh, JJ, Pevs etc in their last few years. Contributes, still manages to get the ball, but slow and iffy disposal, and part of the group that is holding us back in elevating ourselves to the next level. I do agree that he is doing more than guys like Howlett/Myers etc and he’ll probably get another year on the basis of us having a weak side, but I hope his midfield days are well done. If Kelly retires, stick him on the HBF and don’t let him go in the middle.

2 Likes

Give Kelly the tap on the shoulder and play BJ in his spot. Its the only way BJ can be a option next year

1 Like

BJ can’t play as a defender. He’s too slow and not accountable enough.
If anything I’d rather Kelly plays on than BJ.

3 Likes

If we’re being honest the one who’s actually holding us back is J Watson and it’s been that way all year. Goddard and Kelly have more than justified their continued selection. Watson has lost penetration in his kicking and he’s slowed down half a step. We’ve not been losing games off half back…

5 Likes

We should be thankful that Goddard has played in 2017 - Has filled a multitude of roles to help the team - Inside mid, Outside Mid, run with roles, high defensive roles - He’s had a very good year.

3 Likes

Completely agree.

Come to this thread and Goddard getting bagged and finished up.

I’d hate to think where we would be without him.

Thread should be merged with the “exiting times” thread.

Exciting times or exiting times? Your idea sounds like a review topic.

2 Likes

Lol. Who does Kelly ever defend? He just floats around and sets up play

This may sound horrible and I do appreciate everything he has done for the club since arriving. However I hope he wants to take his golf to the next level next year.

13th?

He’s been a good servant and always tried hard, but his midfield time is done. He can find the ball, but lacks the class he used to have, and his opponents are burning him. He also lacks the pace and skill to match it with the modern day footballer. His glory days were playing at Half-Back and getting a ton of it with some stints in the middle. The game is moving past him and moving fast (he’s not alone.) I’d sign him for one year, he can take Kelly’s spot off half-back but he shouldn’t be near a midfield if we’re to progress realistically.

1 Like

He’ll be playing next year.

He’s met the number of games this year to trigger the extension clause in his contract.

1 Like