#9 Dylan Shiel (Part 1)

also serves as a highlights reel of appalling commentary.

1 Like

Worst I’ve ever gone off at an umpire was Nicholls in the GC 100+ pt win.

He found it in his heart to give K Reimers’ opponent 6 frees.

He’ll end up a 150 gamer.

Not many get that far.

Take out the ban, and the knee, and he would be on 160 already, within sight of 200.

He’s not a great player, but he’s been a good servant, selfless and a hard worker, in a period of poor results and lots of turmoil for the club. With 2 or 3 seasons of very high quality footy in there. Nothing to be sneezed at.

EDIT: A better lesson (in Myers v Zerrett) is how guys are rated @ 18yo is not that strong a guide as to how they end up. From memory Hawks and Adelaide both had him top 5 as well. It happens.

5 Likes

Just for the record, Cyril’s record is not to be sneezed at either.

Many of us wanted him to be picked by us at #6 even though he was not rated that highly at the time by the “experts”.

1 Like

Are we talking Myers? Did he do a knee at some point? I didn’t recall that.
What was the injury that ruined 2015 for him? Shoulder?

Sorry yes you are right. Got him mixed up with Winders and Dempsey both doing knees in the same game, but that was 2-3 years earlier.

Broken record, that is.

If we had a time machine, zero chance we take Cyril.

image https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQscxmSklhff4B60MyG3IrFa-d71_FxeqkG3VN3e6PWv0OSq7gQhg

1 Like

I come here to read about a jet not the SS Titanic, lets get back on track please

1 Like

Surely if we had our time over again we’d take Dangerfield, not Cyril.

3 Likes

They tell me he’s a very good player that number 9 anyone seen him play…???

You’ll get the thread off topic at this rate

1 Like

100%

I see what you did there!

Lets be fair. Myers never got a decent run at it, mainly due to injury, but also playing in the shadow of one of our great midfielders for years.

I remember posting a few times late last year prior to the draft and Shiel’s name kept proposing up.

Their was quite a few of us that recognised how good a player he was at GWS. I noted that I watched quite a few GWS games maybe due to the Sheedy factor or maybe cause I didnt hate like every other club.
Having seen a few of their games I saw a lot of Shiel and I likened him to my mates as in having a “Judd” like ability to sprint clear of packs.

I said at the time if we are lucky enough to get him, and if we stay healthy with a good attitude then he is our missing link.

I also debated strongly that a player of his experience, ability and being an AA, 2 first round picks are exactly what he’s worth.

Glad to see he’s proving to be the jet a lot of us knew he is. Looking forward to watching him carve up packs for the at least the next 7 years or so.

4 Likes

Technically he was worth less than 2x 1st rounders

1 Like

By the end of the year it will look a bargain.

If he is a key part of us getting a flag then I’d sell the next ten year of draft picks.

edit: our window is now and we need to do what we can to give ourselves as good a crack as we can.

2 Likes

Already does. I was skeptical on 2 first rounders but now i feel silly. And from a salary cap point of view, the fact we’re only paying him 50-100k more than North are paying Polec is insane.

3 Likes

I know it’s only a small sample size but it doesn’t look like he will ever have a bad game.

Sure he might have a game where his disposal is shabby but in terms of digging in all day he looks like he’s incredibly driven.

I think he’s been our best player so far.

1 Like