#9 Dylan Shiel (Part 1)

Completely agree with @ivan he has changed the dynamics of our midfeild. He kicked it far better against the roos.

Just needs to simplify things a bit instead of trying to drill every pass. Give the ball a bit of air and allow players to run onto it.

It will also help as he learns how our players want the ball delivered into the fwd line.

Tom Mitchell butchered a lot of ball last year but got a lot better once he simplified things.

1 Like

Few clangers? There were 8. Last couple of weeks heā€™s been incredible. His bad disposal hurt against really good opposition though. The longer he plays with the group the better heā€™ll get at delivering the ball.

That is just a ridiculous comment. He made some bad errors. Heā€™s also why we were any chance of winning

12 Likes

Iā€™d prefer Dylan Shiel making an occasional kicking error, over the first quarter that 20 of his teammates produced. At least he turned up on time.

3 Likes

From Barrettā€™s brilliant sliding doors article.

If you wanted to be critical of Dylan Shiel ā€¦
then you could, of his last quarter missed goal, dropped mark and sprayed miskick which ended up with Pendlebury. But with 747m gained, nine inside 50s and seven clearances all part of his 34 disposals, he was simply outstanding and Pendlebury-like.

Vomit.

4 Likes

Why did you have to put that here, I canā€™t stomach agreeing with him.

3 Likes

So Barrett, does this means Shiel isnā€™t regretting choosing Essendon over Fark Carlton?

The goals he missed, the one in the last, was with his right foot, which is his non-preferred. Heā€™s not elite by foot, but he is explosive out of congestion, something we desperately need. Without him our midfield is a bit one-paced in the centre square. I thought we played really well yesterday, especially early when we were being taken to the cleaners, he was one who stood up under that pressure.

2 Likes

No one is perfect. What I want to see out of each of our players is to try their hardest in every game.
He and the coaches know the problem, we know the problem. He is so good in other respects he needs to be given time to sort this out.

Rabid critics coming onto this forum criticising him for the obvious; wtf!

He tried his hardest to help win the game. Absolutely.

2 Likes

I know itā€™s been said before - but he has no farkin idea about the sliding door concept.

11 Likes

Heā€™s really thrown out the actual concept of the articles and is just using it as a platform for random comments. He needs to be stopped.

yep - Barrett had the ultimate sliding door moment himself: If you decide to write a sliding doors column rather than a random comments oneā€¦

3 Likes

The miss in the last qtr yesterday was poor. 30m out on very slight angle under no real pressure. He should have kicked it.

He reminds of the way Adam Treloar used to run. Just flat out and by the time he kicks it, heā€™s got nothing left in the tank.

Treloar fixed it. So can Shiel :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep I reckon that was the worst of the lot, on his right but you need you y best players to kick those. That said parish, Myers and stringer all missed similar chances on their non preferred. Merret certainly wouldnā€™t have done any better on his right

He has been great this year but that snap in the last on his right foot was a deadset as big of a soda as you get.

Weā€™d have won if he had nailed that or hit a target with around a minute left in the last when we were out everywhere instead of hitting Pendlebury lace out.

However, we wouldnā€™t have been as close as we got without him.

It was just one of those games. He was still close to our best player and he will keep getting better.

1 Like

Canā€™t be bothered looking up the stats but prior to this year didnā€™t Shiel have a high proportion of goal assists for a midfielder?

If so then clearly itā€™s just an adjustment period and can be fixed.

There are quite a few long risky kicks in his GWS highlights. I think he just hasnā€™t settled down yet. Has probably been dreaming of ANZAC day for months and then tightened up when the time came. One thing I love about having him in red and black though is that heā€™s just such a professional (and he seems smart)ā€¦ he wonā€™t repeat the tightness come finals AND heā€™ll communicate with the rest of the team on how to embrace the moment.

3 Likes

Adam Saad says hello

1 Like