#9 Dylan Shiel (Part 1)

A lot of players that get big numbers have poor kicking efficiency, generally due to the pressure they are under. My concern with Shiel this year is that he has missed many easy targets under no pressure. He needs to fix this.

1 Like

He will get better as the season progresses

I imagine as he learns how team mates lead and position themselves it will make his decision making a little faster and give him more time to focus on clean disposal. I might be clutching at straws though.

1 Like

Every player in the AFL is working on improving one or more aspects of their game.
So now we have a good handle on what Dylan Shiel is working on.

Having Francis forward to intercept his kicks is the answer

20 Likes

I found myself getting pumped then annoyed in equal measures every time he got the ball in the last.

Apparently yelling out Dylā€¦ DoH! from behind a closed door when other people are about isnā€™t very appropriate however.

1 Like

Dyl said on RSN this morning he operates according to the ā€˜presentā€™. What happened last week has no influence on his psyche. He wonā€™t be spending hours in the hangar practising his kicking because heā€™s already done the hard yards as a junior and with the Giants. Needs to concentrate more just before delivery.
Doesnā€™t mind a stir- said the problem was, his team mates arenā€™t getting to where heā€™s kicking the ball, unlike the Collingwood players./

11 Likes

Itā€™s a good mentality to have, but his kicking has been poor all year, not just last week.

The T-800 has no concept of the past.

10 Likes

theres been some down right garbage being written about him this week. i reckon hed be chomping at the bit to get out on the park on the weekend.

1 Like

Heā€™s a gun! Makes a massive difference to our midfield.

4 Likes

Having a listen at the moment.
Maybe Iā€™ve misinterpreted but he said we can rise the ladder but weā€™re not a contender for another few years. With that mentality no wonder we fall short in games we could win.

Yeah thatā€™s basically what he said. I think he said in the next 12 months to few years.

But I like that coz it shows that we are keeping ourselves grounded.

Our club and fans have often got carried away by a few good games or patches of a season in the past decade whereas we have just been mediocre at best.

Heā€™s a realist

1 Like

Heā€™s just covering his ā– ā– ā–  for when we miss the finals.

2 Likes

Shiel looks to cool his jets to improve his kicking accuracy

Dinny Navaratnam

Dylan Shiel gets his kick away during the Anzac Day clash with the Pies

HIGH-PROFILE Essendon recruit Dylan Shiel says ā€œtaking a bit more careā€ with his kicking would help iron out the flaw in his game that has been brought under the spotlight ā€“ his turnovers.

Figures revealed by AFL.com.au on Tuesday highlighted Shielā€™s struggles with ball in hand.

He hass conceded more points from turnovers this season than anyone else in the competition.

Having said that, the 26-year-oldā€™s form has been a key reason for Essendonā€™s stunning form reversal after the Bombersā€™ deplorable start to the season.

Heā€™s averaging 30 disposals, seven inside-50s, six clearances and a goal assist per game.

The sight of Shiel bursting through the midfield has been common, and heā€™s averaging 518m gained a match, but he told RSN being more considered with his disposal was key.

ā€œKicking while running at high speeds is probably one of the hardest skills in footy to do effectively. I havenā€™t been kicking in an effective manner in the last few weeks,ā€ Shiel said.

"Itā€™s certainly been brought to my attention by some people in the media that itā€™s not up to scratch.

"Iā€™m focusing on what I need to focus on in my game, and I feel like Iā€™m playing some really good footy.

ā€œMaybe itā€™s just that last second or half a second with ball in hand that I just need to take a little bit more care with the footy.ā€

Shiel believes getting his mind right in the moment will help fix the issue.

ā€œI havenā€™t forgotten how to kick. Iā€™ve certainly done enough repetitions as a kid and growing up and through my career to know how to kick correctly,ā€ Shiel said.

"Itā€™s not a matter of, I think I need to be in (Essendonā€™s training base) The Hangar doing 1000 kicks this week, because I donā€™t think thatā€™s going to be beneficial to the game this weekend.

"Itā€™s just something that needs to be acknowledged.

ā€œItā€™s probably more of a mental thing, just taking a little bit more care and acknowledging the pressure in the game and trying to be a little bit more calm with the disposal.ā€

8 Likes

His kicking in the North match was very good. He kicked 3-4 lace out passes inside 50 as I recall.
However, yes, his long kicking has been below average all year.

1 Like

If this bloke cleans up his disposal he wins a brownlow

2 Likes

Go dinny

And then straight into Gilā€™s desk

Whatā€™s pleasing is that Shiel has come in and found a lot of the footy. We are not a dysfunctional team where he canā€™t get into the play and be effective. i.e. he is not struggling with us, rather he is doing really well.

5 Likes