#9 Dylan Shiel (Part 1)

If the list can get us flag then yes he desverse all the accolades he gets but untill then jury is still out on Dodoro imo.

1 Like

But is he better than a boat?

2 Likes

The mystery box is always the best option.

1 Like

Exactly

And itā€™s not like itā€™s two top 5 (or even top 10) picks

It was Pick 9 (which became pick 11) and hopefully pick 18, with a high 20ā€™s pick back

3 Likes

Also, he slots in nicely as a mid who can both extract and play outside - backup in either areas if weā€™re a man short. Extra value there for being the midfield version of a swingman.

1 Like

He averages ~5 clearances a game, more if you focus on his last 3 seasons. We needed a proven entity in the middle who gets the ball going our way.

Two first round picks are entirely justified, especially when you consider the age demographic of our list . We have ample players in the 21-26 bracket, we are hardly going to have to rejuvenate the list in the near future.

1 Like

This is often thrown out, but it is rubbish.

In my opinion Adelaide have the best recruiting team, but they havenā€™t won a flag since 98.

Too many other factors at play to win a flag to state that this is the hurdle that needs to be met before a person can be considered to have done well.

5 Likes

Plus thereā€™s a decent chance we can trade our way back to a late first round pick if we really want an early selection. Young talent looking for opportunities and a bunch of second round picks, thereā€™s currency there if we want to use it.

Exactly

And you sir are a tad tiresome.

Iā€™m a tad tiresome because I have a different opinion and one that dosent suit the narrative?

No.

1 Like

You may be happier if you restricted yourself to the Lid On thread.

1 Like

I think he means because you preface everything you say with ā€œuntil we win a flagā€.

I probably should haha

1 Like

That actually doesnā€™t exist. Anyway for other reasons I created a ā€œLid Onā€ thread . It should suit Nino.

1 Like

Think thatā€™s unfair really. So much of what goes into winning a flag is beyond Dodoroā€™s controlā€¦ beyond anyoneā€™s. Itā€™s a massive effort. Dodoro needs to be judged on the quality and balance of the list, thatā€™s his job and itā€™s hard to argue with the talent and the balance of our list.

This is the main factor. Of course Dylan is going to be better than a couple of 18 year old kids who are a gamble. Itā€™s just the balancing act between list age and making sure you have enough young talent. If i was a Collingwood supporter right now and the club just gave up 2 first round picks for Beams who is 29, iā€™d be a little ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  off. And i know, if they make it to the grand final again then it might be worth it.

No winning a flag is not on Dodoro. He has assembled a very good list that is well balanced with no real weaknesses (perhaps apart from an inside beast like Cripps). It is up to the players and coaches to put it all together on game day and for a whole season. He has nothing to do with that part of it. He gets a massive tick for building a solid core of young kids and then pulling the trigger come trade time the last two years to add the missing pieces.

5 Likes

Cant argue with that

2 Likes

He seems to be criticized for his kicking efficiency a lot but I donā€™t think his numbers are particularly unusual for the role he plays. Indeed the kicking efficiency number, 55%, compares favorably to Dangerfield, 57%. Shuey is a bit better at 63%.

Im sure these guyā€™s kicking numbers get skewed by the number of disposals they make under direct immediate pressure. They arenā€™t quarterbacks who back into the hole and try to spot up a 45. They are always in motion and usually under the pump. Shiel is elite for assists and above average for score launches which is arguably more important than whether his kicking efficiency stat is 55 or 65.

2 Likes