#9 Dylan Shiel (Part 1)

Beams is a quality footballer. They missed out on a premiership by less than a kick, didn’t lose any key players through retirement or trade and will get guys like Darcy Moore and Jamie Elliot back this season. I’d expect nothing less from Dodoro if we were in the same position.

We all seemed to agree in here during the trade period that Shiel was probably not worth two rounders but probably worth more than one.

So we paid two and got a second round in return. So call it 1.5 first rounders. AKA exactly what almost everyone in football thought he was worth

11 Likes

I’m not with you there. From what you say they already have what they need to get the job done. To give up 2 first rounders for a player that will retire in a couple of years seems a little too much.

1 Like

They didn’t really give up 2 first rounders for him though. They got a fair bit back, so it was really probably 1.5 1st rounders as well.
They gave up pick 18 this year and next year’s first. Based on magic fairy dust points, they actually gave up pick 42 and next year’s first.

They still had pick 13 this year (how the ■■■■ did they have that? I haven’t looked), plus they ended up using some of the later picks they got from the the Lions to match a big at pick 29 for a F/S. So I reckon they still got who they wanted in the draft this year. Next year’s 1st rounder is the one that hurts them.

Edit: They used magic fairy dust points for pick 13 as well as pick 29. Considering what they got from the Lions for Beams contributed strongly to them still using picks 13 and 29 in this year’s draft, I’d say they wouldn’t be bothered at all about giving up pick 18 from this year. They only really gave up next year’s first for Beams

So easy to be picky in hindsight.

It’s like when you’re buying a house and wonder if you would have got it with a cheaper offer.

Put it this way, how would everyone feel if we were approaching the 2019 season and hearing ad nauseum about how Shiel was burning up the track at Carlton, showing great leadership to the young Blues and Blah blah Judd Judd blah blah.

I’d be thinking - f#ck it - wished we’d given up 2 x first rounders.

6 Likes

I’m not doubting the Shiel trade at all. I think it was good work. I was commenting on what somebody said above that we could afford to give up 2 first rounders because of his age and also our young talent. I said by comparison i didn’t think the beams deal was a good one because he cost 2 first rounders and he’s 29. It’s a very high price.

I think Quaynor was an academy player? Could be wrong, same same. He definitely softens the price a bit. I agree with a lot of what you’re saying but i think they still payed overs for a 29 year old. There’s a shitload of Collingwood supporters that share that opinion. The majority of midfielders slow down significantly as they approach and move into their 30s.

I’m not across what 20ish year old talent they have that aren’t playing yet though. I guess if there’s a heap then it doesn’t really matter.

1 Like

Go back 5 months, some self professed footy gurus believed the Shiel trade was a done deal. Not to Carlton ( who he barracked for as a kid) but Hawthorn, because of the Clarko “genius” factor.

Shiel be right, mate: Free agency will keep Hawthorn’s list healthy

Josh Elliott

Today’s list breakdown looks at the Hawthorn Hawks, a team who have been at the top more often than not for a long time, and look well-placed to stay there.

Why? The short version is that players love to move to the Hawks, and between Dylan Shiel likely already on the way and presumably more talent to follow in the future, it’s hard not to see them staying relevant

Looking at this year’s trade period, it’s believed their big target is 2019 free agent Dylan Shiel.

Shiel is also being pursued by St Kilda, Essendon and Carlton, but it’s believed that Hawthorn are his leading suitor.

Personally, I suspect the Hawks and Shiel have probably had an agreement that he would come to Hawthorn as a free agent lined up for at least a little while now.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/09/20/shiel-be-right-mate-free-agency-with-keep-hawthorns-list-healthy/

As it would turn out, they probably have the least healthy list in the AFL. Sheil be a terrible season for the Hawks.

4 Likes

Carlton. Easy.

Begs the question how arrogant you need to be to do a “list breakdown” article including hypotheticals (and not much else).

2 Likes

Their recent trade history would suggest he wasn’t really going out on a limb. It just didn’t eventuate this time.

He hasn’t played a game for us yet, and already this picture just looks plain wrong…

2 Likes

lol

1 Like

Dylan “Proven Entity” Shiel.

BomberBlitz.com: bringing the snappy nicknames since 2001(ish)

1 Like

It’ll be Shielsy, surely?
But if we’re taking submissions, may I humbly nominate ‘Easter.’

It’s just Dyl i think, Pretty boring.

I personally reckon hes gonna absolutely thrive like the way Smith did.

1 Like

Or maybe Frank.
As in Grimes.

Easter-Island-1070911 frank

13 Likes

I was originally going to roll with Dylan “Statistics suggest he will immediately improve our midfield” Shiel, but brevity is an underrated commodity.

1 Like

Only if he walks around the club, doing strange things, saying “But I’m Kobe Mutch”**

**I really don’t know who the Homer Simpson equivalent is at the club…