#9 Dylan Shiel (Part 1)

Sometimes the stuff on Blitz is so random, Dodoro lost the Shiel trade now? At the start of trade period we offered a first and thought likely that GWS would be forced to take it due to salary cap pressure.

GWS off-loaded a number of high-price players… Lobb, Scully and too a lesser extent Setterfield. They now have room in cap to keep Shiel so feel more secure in their demand of 2 first picks or we keep him.

Essendon and GWS settle on 2 first round picks and a second back.

How is that a loss? At first we thought we could get him for slightly unders due to salary cap pressure. In the end we got him for pretty much exactly what he was worth, somewhere between 1 and 2 first round picks.

5 Likes

I think Hibberd would have stayed if we matched Melbournes offer

Can we adjourn the conversation on his trade value until after the season and get back to talking about his football?

5 Likes

If you read above you will see that I am defending Dodoro.

We got shafted on those trades and Nino is suggesting we win all trades.

It is the typical narative from the AFL media that we MUST win all trades but we have had our fare share of shaftings.

Yep, fair enough.

1 Like

yep - trades are not won in February, but at the end of their career.

1 Like

Why are people still debating what we traded for him. Would you rather we missed out on him and picked up an unproven scrawny 18 year old who IF he came good we wouldn’t know for 2-3 years?

This whole discussion should be now consigned to history.

Shiel is a farcking jet, 3 other clubs vied for his services and some blokes reckon we could have gotten him for steak knives.

Kill this farcking discussion on his trade value and talk about his football abilities FFS !

8 Likes

I think we need a reminder of what a jet he is.

I like “the missing piece” as a nickname also.

1 Like

The funniest thing is, i don’t think anybody is actually debating that he wasn’t worth it (unless i missed it). I think the discussion was around Dodoro’s trade antics and then it’s just blitzed out of control.

Exactly. Holding out til the last day pushed them to make moves they didn’t want to, just to react to our approach. GWS weakening themselves is a win in itself.

ATE was.

But ATE is just nino with slightly better self control.

4 Likes

Nah a couple of our usual negative nannies further up raised it and it got my goat yesterday. Honestly he is a farcking star, and I still can’t beleive not only that we got him but he chose us over Hawthorn and Carlscum.

Can’t wait for the season and to watch this guy play as stated by KM he is the missing piece!

4 Likes

And worse photoshop skills.

1 Like

Oh sorry i missed it. Yeah i can’t wait to see this dude tear it up. And by all reports the rest of the team is going to lift around him.

Yep, it was ME! Gave the post the attention it needed after a stagnant period of non activity. Still don’t think he’s worth 2 or was that 1 1/2… (now I’m having some FUN, if that’s not obvious to some :wink:)

1 Like

I’ve always found the trick with jokes is to make them funny.

7 Likes

I respectfully disagree with ATE. He is worth it.

Shiel will be one of our top 3 midfielders, then in spite of what Essendon fans think, there is daylight between this 3 and the others. Shiel is faster than Hepp, bigger than Zach, plays outside and or inside so can cover for Hepp or Zach.

We just boosted our A grade midfield group by 50% in number, but the important thing is that we will have 2 of our A Grade midfielders on the field at all times. Last year there were times we had only one of our top mids in against midfields with 3 top mids, so in effect we have boosted our operating midfield quite a bit.

1 Like

“A - T - E AS GOOD AS YOU’LL SEE!”

1 Like

Don’t try and weasel out of what you said claiming it was in fun and jest. There is nothing funny about saying Shiel isn’t worth 2 first rounders you meant it.
You stated similar negative comments in the training thread that the lads looked laconic and it would transpose into their match day form. This isn’t funny either, - just stupid.
I suspect you haven’t been to one training session and seen the boys have been working their arses off for 5 months, yet you pass judgement on a 10 second clip without having seen any lead up running or training efforts.
Over the years ive seen you posting negative and stupid comments as your modus operandi. When negative / stupid comments are posted then it’s a waste of time for the people seeking to have genuine and constructive discussion.

Don’t post shitt and then try to get out of it.

Rant over!

3 Likes

Never made one I take it.