A little crispy one Garry - The footy media thread

Although he appears to have lost some weight. Or my eyes are rooted.

(Sorry talking about two different people here)

Your eyes are rooted.

1 Like

Man, I like the guy as a footy commentator/mind but Mick McGuane has gone total Alan Patridge on Toblerones. I guess we all have our inherited metabolism(s). Good luck to him. Iā€™m actually not trying to make fun of him, but I havenā€™t seen a pic of him for years.

1 Like

Yeah heā€™s definitely pulled the rip cord. He coaches Keilor in the Essendon Footy League, good guy, does a lot for grassroots footy. Probably should be in AFL land as an assistantā€¦

1 Like

He MCā€™d a talk last night with Hirdy and Fletch. Really insightful MC, knew when to talk and when to shut up. Funny guy too.

1 Like

Not wrong. Looks like heā€™s eaten Mick McGuane.

Funny, he sounds like he should be involved in the AFL but isnā€™t. Makes you wonder what is/has held him him back?

The types of people heā€™s gotten involved with off the field. Not sure if it is the case presently, but certainly in the past. BIG punter, so you can imagine the types he was liaising withā€¦

I see.

That type of activity is problematic.

About a decade ago when he was at Balwyn, his management contacted my local club to see if theyā€™d be keen on his services for the following season. Couldnā€™t believe it!! When they asked what he wanted money wise it ended the discussion there and then. We didnā€™t even spend that much on the whole playing list!! Good coach though and decent bloke, genuinely gives back to the game. Heā€™s a good listen as well at the 1/4 time and 3/4 time breaksā€¦

I once heard he missed a few games through being banged-up in the big house, not injury as was reported at the time. No idea if true.

Definitely moved in unsavoury circles in his playing days.

Darren Millaneā€™s death hit him hard.

How was the talk Hoff?

Not sure you can ask for a massive pay cheque from a local footy team and also give back to the game at the same time

1 Like

Brilliant. They talked for about an hour, effectively uninterrupted. Mick Mcguane MCā€™d well and allowed them to go off on tangents. The first bit was on their early career and then premiership years. Hirdy spoke about his face injury - first time Iā€™d heard in graphic detail about what it was like. They both adore Sheedy - that comes thru very clearly but they are still bemused by him too. They spoke about the saga bs and the toll on families and the players (and supporters). It was also obvious how much James loves his wife and kids. Some home truths were shared. Hirdy spoke about the lead up to his hospitalisation. He spoke honestly about depression and how it affected him. He said he is on the right path now and his family and happiness are far more important now. He shared the message - if you know someone who isnā€™t in a good place, donā€™t think they are ok, check. A text message, a phone call, anything helps. Even if they donā€™t reply, the fact that a number of past players would do this, made him feel human. There was a Q&A at the end, and it was funny and poignant. He did say that he thinks that Woosha is the man for the job at EFC.

18 Likes

Thanks. Good crowd? Questions submitted for vetting as per Fletcher/Watson talk or just off the cuff?

Lock out crowd, I reckon at least 250/300. Off the cuff questions, definitely not as edited, like the Jobe/Fletch talk.

1 Like

Sorry I missed it now.

1 Like

If it happens again, donā€™t miss it.

Thanks for the info, thatā€™s sounds fantastic.

How great to hear James talking about all that has happened and being on the right path given where he has been.

Will definitely try and catch the next one if it happens.

1 Like

Not sure where this comment belongs, but I have to get it off my chest. AFL 360 is the shittest show on TV. Iā€™ve never watched it before, but it was a last resort as I live OS and itā€™s all thatā€™s available on AFL Watch. For starters it has my most disliked journo in Footy - Mark Robinson. Heā€™s a try hard cool guy, with an over inflated opinion of his importance in AFL and Gerrard is just a weird, creepy, dude. Itā€™s complete rubbish.

Rant over.

10 Likes