A little crispy one Garry - The footy media thread

I was a big fan of it early in the piece, but now it’s nothing more than a vehicle for the AFL to spew their agenda. Now that Gerard sold his soul to the devil and joined commercial radio he’s just another AFL mouthpiece whereas previously he was a bit more impartial and used to have a go at the league. Now that’s completely disappeared. On radio and on the show he no longer criticises the AFL.

2 Likes

Rant well received. I love pretty much anything footy. When this show started I watched it a lot for the footy content. I now can’t watch a minute of it due mainly to Robinson. He is terrible. Gerard I don’t particularly like on TV but I do listen, and enjoy, his radio stuff on SEN.

I often wonder (someone might know) how TV sport shows critique or evaluate the performance of their staff. Obviously ratings has the final and majority say. Eg Robinson - I cannot imagine that anyone, anywhere, thinks to themselves ‘360 is about to start and I love Mark Robinson’s take on footy, I’ve gotta tune in’. The show might do ok, but imagine what it could do with a footy person that people could tolerate. Chief footy writer of The Sun, seriously? People actually buy that paper to get his take on footy??

Same with Cameron Mooney, he just seems to add less than zero every time he opens his gob and most of the time it’s to do a blokey “hey Dermie, how tough were we both back in the day, rah rah”.

What about The Bounce?

Nah,not for me. Danny Frawley sneaks in just behind Robinson and Mooney for most annoying in my book.

3 Likes

Focus groups.

The flaw with focus groups being they are populated largely by unemployed/retired idiots, and there’s nothing to actually compare presenters with.

1 Like

Yeah, thanks, I did wonder about that. It seems so ineffective for a multi million dollar investment and ‘business’.

They obviously use the big guns, Ed, Lyon, Healy, Brown, Roos on as many shows as they can but there are so many that guys like Mooney remain employed.

Never seen the bounce. I struggle with Footy related media in general these days. It’s a saturated market thus full of nothing stories and pointless over analysis. I’d rather just watch a game and that’s not always easy either!

4 Likes

I watch TF and that’s it, and really only for Tim, and even that’s a struggle with having to mute Darcy all the time.

1 Like

The level of discussion here is far far higher than anything the networks put up

7 Likes

Yep.
But this is essentially niche, for nerds.
There’s not much of a mass market for that.

Also, you suck. (Just to bring the tone back down to earth a little)

1 Like

Stopped watching or reading footy coverage as a result of the saga. I used to start reading the paper from the sports page and read all footy stories. Not anymore.

13 Likes

Dunno about the niche nerds things.
For example;
FindingNemo & Donnington seem potentially excellent hosts for commercial TV.
One SEES EVERYTHING IN CAPITAL LETTERS, and brings that all important air of impending panic to everything.
The other doesn’t care about contradicting themselves, and has proved quite adept at focusing on players looks, with a soupçon of creepiness.

Couldn’t be worse than what we’ve got.
Though I agree that TV isn’t quite ready to replace Brian Taylor with a tag team of WOB & Stallion calling the footy.

3 Likes

Roaming Donnington would be such an awesome thing

10 Likes

Guelfi: “Sir, are you even a qualified masseuse?”

15 Likes

BT, Huddo, Brayshaw etc etc are miles off the 90s commentators. You’re a fool if you think otherwise.

By miles off I mean, they need to wait until we are complaining about a new crop of commentators, say in 10-15 years.

Only then can we can look back with rose coloured glasses and pretend 2019 was a golden age.

2 Likes

The bounce the worst thing ever produced on TV in the history of TV. Every year of TFS is better than that, as was Live and Kicking. Apparently yelling means the joke is funny.

Frawley is stupid, but we all knew that. However the 4th person they have on there (often Gaze, but lady some tall girl) are just terrible. It’s ■■■■■■■ embarrassing

3 Likes

I’d like to think that in fifteen years time, just as fifteen years before, football commentators aren’t talking about each other’s ■■■■■.
You may say I’m a dreamer.

2 Likes

The bounce in a nutshell:

Frawley: “Defenders are good. I like seeing spoils”
Dunstall: “You’re a flog, potato”
ALL OF THEM: Laughs like it’s the funniest thing they’ve ever heard
Dunstall: really angry “DROP PUNTS! DROP PUNTS! DROP PUNTS!”

Rinse and repeat.

8 Likes

Week 2 of roaming Donnington: not allowed within 50 metres of the change rooms due to an AVO…

3 Likes

Yup. I don’t know how I used to consume so much footy media. I literally hate so much of it now.

6 Likes