A little crispy one Garry - The footy media thread

FMD you do have unusual tastes, having told us previously that you also love that rrswhole Fatpr/ck Smith.

2 Likes

No, but aside from all that, what’s he done wrong, poor fella?

Seems Hutchy has a grand plan. !

“…With Crocmedia branching out further into TV at its new purpose-built studio complex, it would be no surprise to see Whateley hosting a new sports TV program too. Crocmedia recently hired Nine’s Tim Clearly as chief content officer at the same time it announced the launch of its Rainmaker production business…”

Hi Tanya

4 Likes

But they’re just opinions. I like P Smith’s writing and speaking style but don’t necessarily agree with his opinions. I enjoy listening to G Whateley commentate anything but again, don’t always agree with his point of view. We used to be more tolerant of differing opinions but these days anything that deviates from ‘our’ position is wrong and must be shouted down. It was better when we all could happily disagree without all the viciousness.

3 Likes

Whateley [I’m paraphrasing]: “The AFLADT never found the players innocent, because they didn’t answer whether or not the players were injected with TB4”.

… somehow omitting the fact that they didn’t even ask themselves that question because they found that not only did Alavi never synthesize TB4 but Charter never even bought TB4 ingredients.

Not to mention sniping Heppell about “a few inaccuracies in what he said” (again, not a direct quote) when Heppell wasn’t on camera and had no right of reply, not to mention the fact that he didn’t actually substantiate what he said.

He thinks he’s the smartest bloke in every room, and just because he’s somewhat eloquent (not hard to appear so given he is sat 4 ft from Mark Robinson) is considered some sort of football oracle. It makes me sick. I’d like to buy him at my price and sell him at his.

He can fk off.

26 Likes

Differing opinions are fine, in fact they’re necessary. However, he didn’t have a “different” opinion regarding the saga, he was spewing propoganda/fake facts and talking like a patronising, gutless ■■■■. He is also a hypocrite, as mentioned much earlier in the thread re Peter Moody and Black Caviar.

18 Likes

I don’t follow the horse so I can’t comment on your Moody point but with Whateley, Smith and Wilson, they take their jobs pretty seriously and formed their opinions on how they perceived the facts at the time. They’re paid opinionators. They have to take a position and only those who possess the rosiest of rose coloured glasses could believe Essendon weren’t the primary architects of its own stink. We don’t have to like it but I take your point about how it was delivered. Whateley’s style in particular can give people the sh*ts.

Not sure there’s a lot of viciousness on here.
Most posters seem to be pretty reasonable & measured with their differing opinions.

But I just can’t understand how any Bombers’ supporter could possibly like smith’s “style” (arrogant, self-righteous, pompous, stubborn, intolerant?) after his disgusting & pathetic attack on a very vulnerable James Hird (not to mention the usual garbage before that re the saga eg Dustin Fletcher should be removed from the 400 club, Jobe’s medal etc).
He’s nothing but a bitter & twisted pile of manure.

Just an opinion.

16 Likes

I rarely listen to SEN. Only ever listened to Tim Watson in the morning and it was more ‘in the background’ than actually hearing what they talk about.
So SEN can continue hiring whoever they like.
I doubt it’ll change my opinion of the station.

SEN / Hutchy will get people who cause a reaction. Good or bad. It doesn’t matter because it’ll fuel the other tv shows.
The more they talk about what other journos have said / written the less they need to actually watch and analyze games.
From Monday morning to Friday afternoon, all we hear bullshit after bullshit. Not just saga crap, but anything that really shouldn’t need to be reported or discussed on.

I wish someone had the guts to do a show on footy strategy (sort of like NFL Playbook) but unfortunately our game just isn’t anywhere near that level of analyzation.
Fox had one four years ago which was good, but it didn’t rate as well as 360, The Bounce, etc and got axed after one year.

1 Like

Just because many of us didn’t believe the propoganda, doesn’t mean we thought the club were not completely silly. These “journalists” formed their opinions on what they were instructed and paid to say, not on how they perceived anything.

4 Likes

Disagree with your initial point but understand the rest. Strong reactions one way or another is what he’s/they’re paid to do.

1 Like

Not sure about your last point. Smith, Whateley and Wilson are many things, serious journalists included. Reckon if they didn’t believe what they were writing and/or saying, they would have told their employers to get farked and would have written about it. Again, doesn’t mean they were right.

1 Like

Surely you’re kidding Diggers… As if they’d bite the hand that feeds them, they’d be ostracised and lose heaps of income. Look how much coverage a legit journalist like Tracy Holmes gets, hardly anything, except for the fact she occasionally pops up on ABC.

9 Likes

Serious journalists don’t get caught out multiple times spewing what one unnamed person tells them off the record as a rolled-gold fact. Glorified gossip hound.

Whether it’s GWS Celtics or seatbelt games or J Hird to be sacked tomorrow…(next week…week after that… hang on no definitely the week after that one), you couldn’t possibly trust anything she says.

4 Likes

Even in the early days of the saga, the print media measured what was getting the most clicks and this was directly connected to editorial policy, so they could maximise clicks and maximise advertising revenue. They didnt want the saga to go away, they wanted to put oil on the water and set it alight. Writers were told to find angles and write opinions, get news and keep it coming to feed the football public’s thirst for dirt on Essendon

5 Likes

SEN hires Hird, Sheedy, McGrath, Tippa…

Who was the SEN Inside Footy mag journalist who wrote some good articles early on in the saga? (Mick somebody?) He picked up on the AFL manipulation and transfer of guilt very quickly.
He made a very useful observation early on that the MSM - and he was referring directly to Wilson, Smith & others - “nailed their colours to the mast” of players & club guilty from day 1 - and then they set about repeating this fiction thereafter regardless of the evidence that surfaced. He noted their ability to admit they were wrong was non existent.
I think this is very relevant to why we don’t forgive twatley & co.

edit - I think the journalist was Mick Ellis.

7 Likes

Because it’s not about ‘opinions’ and ‘point of views’ and ‘colour’ and farking ‘panache’.
It’s about about farking lying carnts who made money and fame off the misery of others knowing full well and not caring about the consequences of their farking bullshit.

15 Likes

I can get my ‘Essendon fix’ from BomberTV if I wanted it.
90% of the ■■■■■ that goes on between games is better off ignored.

1 Like