A little crispy one Garry - The footy media thread

Social science studies are no more than glorified opinions.

Saying that their conclusions are facts is completely delusional.

1 Like

I know I’m (almost) on my own in here, but it’s three nil in this household.
He said something gross and stupid that you shouldn’t say on radio…
So…
He’s about a hundred strikes behind so many other radio personalities?

Way overblown. Not sure what his tribunal record has to do with anything, either.

Edit: Also, I have a brother-in-law who would happily make that joke in front of my mum.

7 Likes

Didn’t you know? a glassing and a few assault convictions < a very inappropriate joke.

2 Likes

While I don’t condone it, I think its a bit of ‘look we’re doing the right thing’ meanwhile we’re having convicted women bashers as star personalities. and a guy that kicked up a fuss because a friend was with his ex wife as another star personality.

getting rid off the less incestuous family member so you can keep porking the cousin you like.

4 Likes

The fact Leigh Montagna made a joke on the radio about his wife having fingers “stuck up there” has somehow been missed in all OF this.

20 Likes

What Hall said was farking atrocious, would end any radio career; but do people think Leigh Montangna respects women?

10 Likes

I wonder if Montagna added that to the run down sheet as a topic

Or is that just some of the thought leadership he provides off the cuff

This has to be satire, yeah?

9 Likes

Oh look , it’s you again.

How is it a good trait to be silent when you feel offended or discriminated against??? That’s a backbone is it?

6 Likes

Montagna’s initial comments were ripe for someone to really take it a turn south and Barry certainly did that. It’s not as if there were any of the on-air colleagues told him to pull his head in, they were all laughing like schoolboys in the background. It was crass but I don’t think it’s as bad as the public outrage and the headlines doing the rounds in the paper portray it to be. I listened to it today and thought “that was it?”. Maybe I’m desensitised to it being a 35 year old who’s played cricket all his life and heard far worse things than that said on the field?

I’m not telling anyone to be silent. This is the crux of my point. Better that the Hall’s of this world announce who they are to the world, so there is clarity.

A lot of people in this world find themselves in trouble because of social lies, deception and secrets.

I argue if “the truth” is served on a dish, the world would be better place.

I am very sensitive to any form of censorship because I know what it leads to.

Let me tell you it is more ugly and disgusting than what Hall said.

Sorry if this offends anyone.

You’re right, plenty worse could have been said. But it doesn’t diminish how distasteful it is to joke about a gyno licking the vaginal juices of a pregnant woman off his fingers, particularly when it was actually a joke directed at a specific person. Imagine how uncomfortable that would make montagnas wife?

8 Likes

I thought your reference to past generations who had a backbone meant people sucked it and didn’t complain if they felt offended.

I don’t think this is about censorship, it’s about a consequences of what you say. No one censored him saying what he did. He said it and now he pays the consequences of saying something that looks like it has met a social standard whereby it is deemed unacceptable.

1 Like

this threads quite illuminating.

6 Likes

Don’t touch a man’s wife or his wallet etc etc

1 Like

Oh come on.

It’s inappropriate, it shouldn’t be said on the radio, it’s not oppression.

12 Likes

Did montagne share the experience with Milne…

Allegedly

1 Like

Oh so I’ve listened it to it. Poor by Hall but about 10 times poorer by Montagna I think. Fancy talking about your wife, giving birth to your child, ON AIR by saying the doctor “put a coupla fingers up there”. What a farking creep

25 Likes

Imagine if radio was built so that rather than broadcasting what we say it actually broadcasts what we are thinking.

1 Like