A little crispy one Garry - The footy media thread

Kind of lost in all this, the guy who actually covered up a rape, and somehow has a radio gig, talks about his Wife like that On Air…

But Hall made a bad joke, I guess…

6 Likes

THE BOYS!!

That’s what Hall said also - not that it excuses what he and Montagna said, knowing they were on air.

That entire radio station has completely devolved; absolutely littered with ‘blokes’ who make me cringe. Those pre-game segments are the worst of it.

2 Likes

It’s been lost in the public debate, sure. It hasn’t been lost in this thread where it’s been mentioned nearly every second post.

1 Like

How Montagna gets a radio gig with his history?
Must have missed it.
Easy to do, as you well know.

1 Like

Yes! And it is there.

And I reckon his comments were way way worse than Halls, honestly

Anyway how about that Hutchy? Man he’s fat

1 Like

erm…

Cops covered it up.

1 Like

No real surprise there. His brothers an odious little grub with similar form

Who’s his brother?

Didn’t Mark Howard ■■■■ himself laughing during the Chris Gayle “don’t blush baby” interview too?

Evergreen post template.

@Heffsgirl

Spot on and Well done.

I’ve spoken with a lot of men about this issue over the last 2 weeks.
Many men have come to the realisation that they aren’t doing enough to pull up this toxic masculinity and culture. While it might seem like it gets worse, there is a swell of men who have finally woken up. I’ve had some amazing conversations and we’ve done some soul searching around our inappropriate behaviour directed women, from our past. It’s time to acknowledge our short comings.

As like any social change of equality where a group of people lose some power; Equality might feel like it’s going backwards, when white men are desperate to hold on to the power they have.

But things will change.

6 Likes

This issue is not strictly about toxic male culture and masculinity - It’s more about self indulgent and selfish radio in which presenters feel the need to discuss their private lives during a sporting telecast - Let me hear analysis and discussion about the GAME.

1 Like

Self indulgent radio men is a point but I reckon it’s another reminder of a complete lack of understanding by some men of what is appropriate. These guys would have been present at numerous respect and responsibility talks and given education in the area far greater than most. Yet, they still thought that this stuff was funny and were comfortable not only discussing it amongst themselves but on prime time radio. Several of their giggling mates thought it appropriate as well up until of course the time that it got serious and then they stated how disgusted they were with it. Yeah sure.

8 Likes

Agree 100%. Problem is i reckon half of them wouldn’t be able to do that if they tried, they aren’t smart enough. How a guy like Frawley has a job as a special comments guy is absolutely amazing. All he does is state the bleeding obvious and giggle every now and then.

To think he was the head of the coaches association for a time…

If commentators want to do banter about each other, do it during the ads or after the game.

4 Likes

This is a snippet from the Crows Eagles game.
https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/monday-knee-jerk-reaction-afl-round-fifteen-3

Just on Barry Hall, I feel good now that we know where the line is.
Thank goodness Triple M reacted so swiftly and sacked a fringe commentator. Like all those sackings of key people when the joked about drowning a woman, or likened Adam Goodes to King Kong.

We need to send a clear message about respect for women, and anyone who has Wayne Carey on their payroll is clearly committed to that.

This is the normal outcome of the idiotic, blokey culture foisted on us by Triple M and in a slightly more watered-down version by Channel Seven.

Football has built and protected this culture, and now they all pretend to be shocked and offended by it.

It a stain on the game that goes against all the inclusion talk the AFL serve up but don’t deliver when it comes to taking on the boys’ club that surrounds the game.

Why don’t they take it on? Because they’re part of it. Taking it on is as unnatural to them as cutting off your own arm. They know these guys behave appallingly but they are all ‘mates’, and that’s more important than anything else in their view.

No one in footy is surprised by this, and again, no one will do anything that addresses the root cause of the problem. Hall in many ways is irrelevant, he’ll be replaced by another version, and we’ll be talking about this all again soon.
this is a cut and paste from Titus O’Rielly usually a satire email/article but today KAPOW.

https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/monday-knee-jerk-reaction-afl-round-fifteen-3

8 Likes

I assumed it was Dylan but there doesn’t seem much to support that.

Self indulgent radio is not only males, but also includes females, though it happens more often with males - It’s not rocket science to suggest a presenter’s private life should never be discussed on the radio - Talk about the subject in which you are employed to analyse.

1 Like