A little crispy one Garry - The footy media thread

His hypocrisy knows no bounds, but no one will ever call him out on it.

Nice that the AFL will NOW do its own investigation. This should be ethical and legit

5 Likes

What’s “Sarah” up to these days?

The Roar are putting out a series of opinions on the best 50 players 2019.

Joe Makes 43. 1-39 yet to come.

43. Joe Daniher (Essendon Bombers)
What is Joe Daniher now? After two writers placed Daniher in the top seven players in the competition last year, this time around no one had him higher than 31, with two writers leaving him off the list altogether (Ryan and myself).

Uncertainty reigns – both over his health and his ability to kick a football where he’d like it to go. Daniher was a shell of himself last season, but it seems fair to chalk that up entirely to his injury.

If he’s properly back, Daniher is a force, a leaping colossus who will win so many opportunities to kick goals that his inability to actually kick them is mitigated somewhat. He is Essendon’s biggest swing-piece, and his health will likely determine whether they challenge for the top four or the top eight.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/02/25/the-roars-2019-afl-top-50-50-41/

Harsh but fair on the goalkicking.
Where it falls down is that if he’s fully fit, he’ll be in everyone’s top ten even if he converts at 50%.

1 Like

Can’t argue with that synopsis.

2 Likes

Yes, but why is it in this thread?

6 Likes

Was just listening to SEN, Tim and Gary were interviewing Simon Lethlean. Tim: “Well respected journo Damian Barrett said Sydney officials nearly fell off their chairs when Hannebury was added to the Saints leadership group”. Lethlean: “Sydney are a professional team so I’d be surprised if anyone said that. Of course Damian wouldn’t give up his source…if he even has one”.

Slap. :laughing:

4 Likes

Sounds like they need to dig into their cola funds and buy some new chairs in Sydney.
Quite a hazard they have on their hands there.

2 Likes

Watto clearly tongue in cheek and sniggering when he said that I take it?

7 Likes

Barrett is well respected by himself and…

Clearly tongue in cheek. I had a chuckle when he said it.

1 Like

I was going to preface my thoughts on this piece of manure but thought better of it. It doesn’t touch the scale of the other case in the news but reinforces everything I have thought about him and the AFL.

Former AFL boss Andrew Demetriou grilled in court about $145m Acquire Learning collapse

Crown Resorts director and former AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has been grilled in court over the $145 million collapse of education group Acquire Learning.

Key points:

Andrew Demetriou was paid $75,100 a month and $1.6m in shares for chairing an advisory board for Acquire Learning
Acquire Learning went into administration in May 2017
Mr Demetriou told the court that “decisions about the financials were left to the directors”
Mr Demetriou was never a director of the company but was executive chairman of an advisory board and paid $75,100 a month and $1.6 million in shares for three days a week of work in an office downstairs from the directors.

The court heard that about a week before Acquire received a letter from law firm Clayton Utz suggesting the company was teetering on the edge of trading while insolvent, Mr Demetriou asked the company to approve a $150,000 bonus payment for “professional services as agreed”.

“Thank you very much for your very generous consideration. Best, Andrew,” the email read. The payment to Mr Demetriou’s private company was made that day.

Asked by counsel for the liquidator, Damien McAloon, what the basis for seeking the $150,000 bonus was, the former North Melbourne Aussie Rules player told the Commercial Court of the Supreme Court of Victoria he could not remember.

“No, I can’t recall specifically … I can’t recall,” he said.

The legal letter about the risk of insolvency was received by the company’s lawyers on June 22, 2016. Despite Acquire Learning’s counsel asking one of the directors to circulate the news, Mr Demetriou said he was unaware of the advice.

Three months later, in September 2016, the letter was attached to an email but Mr Demetriou did not open it.

Mr McAloon: “You had the opportunity, had you been so inclined, to read that advice?”
Mr Demetriou: “Possibly, but I can’t recall.”
Evidence presented at the hearings demonstrated Mr Demetriou was aware of the company’s rapidly deteriorating financial position in the months before he was paid the bonus. However, in testimony he frequently sought to downplay his involvement in decision-making.

“The advisory board was not involved, nor sought (input) … on how financial decisions were made or how decisions were applied,” he said.

Struggling firm plunged millions into horse racing business

As the company’s finances worsened, a particularly contentious investment was in G1X, an online horse racing content business.

Mr Demetriou said he first became aware of the venture around March 2016 and advised against it.

“(Director) Mr Wall, in one of our discussions, told me of an idea he had of a platform for race horses, G1X. He was going to produce content,” he said.

“I thought it was odd because it wasn’t the core business. I told him at the time I thought it was odd … and a very difficult space.”

Mr Demetriou said he was not aware of $8 million spent on G1X, or that Acquire’s shareholding was transferred to a different company for what the liquidator said was “no consideration”.

Mr McAloon: “Were you aware of that?”
Mr Demetriou: “No.”
Mr McAloon: “Were you aware that Acquire advanced a further $2 million?”
Mr Demetriou: “No. I knew they were advancing funds, I just didn’t know the level. I didn’t think it was good practice, I said stick to your core business.”
Mr Demetriou frequently spoke of being in the “bottom box” — included as a carbon copy (cc) recipient — in emails, rather than being the person they were directly sent to, the “top box”. The court heard that many times in group emails sent to staff and directors he was the only member of the company’s advisory board that correspondence was sent to.

“Ultimately, the decisions about the financials were left to the directors to make,” he told the court.

"We were there to advise. They could take our advice or not take our advice.
“We didn’t tell them to stop doing G1X or cut costs.”

The company, which employed 600 people at its peak, ranged across registered training organisations (RTOs) and other educational institutions.

In this public examination, the proceedings are led by counsel for the liquidators of Acquire Learning Pty Ltd and Acquire Learning & Careers Pty Ltd, in front of the Judicial Registrar of the Commercial Court, Julian Hetyey.

The case continues tomorrow.

One would hope they made a few references to Vlad’s under the table handling of AFL matters. Doing this would have helped to establish that he’s a slime ball of the highest order.

4 Likes

Satan.

2 Likes

“stick to your core business” - now give me my 75k a month and 150k bonus. Good work if you can get it.

Trickle down economics indeed.

Is this an unfair preference claim against Vlad?

2 Likes

Vlad, you’re a c**t. Best, Caesarcod

7 Likes

So he go paid 75k per month and 1.6 mill in bonuses to be the chief corporate advisor to the board of which he failed to advise anything which would prevent them from collapsing in epic fashion.

And his excuse is because nobody email him, he was only ccd on emails.

What a ■■■■■■■ incompetent corrupt piece of ■■■■.

11 Likes

■■■■ hats like Vlad are the reason people become violent. Normal everyday people!

That’s not fair, he did advise them, he told them to stick to their core business.

It’s pretty obvious that we’re the mugs at this point isn’t it?

1 Like

How does that piece of advice sound to you?