A suggestion to help umpires avoid distance errors

A kick has to travel 15 metres in order for a mark to be paid.

A player can’t run more than 15 metres without bouncing or disposing of the ball.

A 50 metre penalty has to be 50 metres.

How many times do we see kicks go about 9 metres and a mark is paid, or a player run way more than 15 metres without bouncing or disposing of the ball, or a 50 metre penalty being more or less than 50 metres?

It really annoys me.

So, you know how we have 50 metre arcs at each end of the ground?
Well, what if we had 15 metre arcs from one end of the ground to the other?
Not as thick and pronounced as the 50 metre arcs, maybe a red line, thinner than the line used for the 50 metre arcs.

This way, the umpires would have something to guide them as to whether a kick has travelled the correct distance to pay a mark, whether a player has run too far without bouncing or disposing of the ball. And the umpires would have no problem getting the 50 metre penalties right.

What do you think? This might help the AFL avoid games being decided because a kick that went 7 metres was paid as a mark, or a player ran 25 metres, without bouncing, to kick the winning goal, or an umpire measured a 50 metre penalty as 40 metres or 60 metres and it determined whether a kick for goal was successful or not.

I reckon this can work. The lines would not have to be hideous looking. Subtle but visible.

1 Like

PS I am aware that my suggestion is based on an up and down the ground outlook, and much of the play in a match is across the ground!

I’m not saying it would be perfect, I’m simply saying it would help. :wink:

Ask them to wear more of the sponsored logo products…OPSM.

2 Likes

Just waiting for the first player to run all the way from one wing to the other without bouncing. Play on!

Perhaps you are the one who needs an appointment with OPSM.
Did you not read this?
"PS I am aware that my suggestion is based on an up and down the ground outlook, and much of the play in a match is across the ground!

I’m not saying it would be perfect, I’m simply saying it would help."

So when they are going across the ground OBVIOUSLY the 15 metre arcs don’t help, just like your post.

1 Like

Just having a light hearted crack at the umpires.

2 Likes

They cut the grass in a way that makes the ground appear to have a checkered appearance. Just make the groundskeepers cut in 10m squares.
Can measure 50m exactly.
Will give a very good guide for 15m kicks all directions.
/thread

3 Likes

Thought this was alberts thread. With a picture to a cannon would be appropriate.

OK :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Like it, Hep. Something. Anything. Just get it right, eh? Oh, and how about 15 metre squares, not 10? :laughing:

We know when someone gets grabbed around the neck.
We know when someone gets pushed in the back.
We know when someone drops the ball or throws the ball.
But when it comes to a decision that involves distance, Oh that rests entirely on the umpire’s sense of distance!!
I call BS!! It’s frustrating.
I mean, we’ve all heard the phrases “I’d love - or I’d hate - to buy real estate from that umpire.” This highlights what I’m saying.
There must be a way to solve this.

images (25) This wheely thing with the stick attached. Measures distance and is pretty light.
Some of them are foldable. Umps can carry them all night til they get the distance right.
Realistically someone should cut the grass 7.5metres apart.

Cut the grass to different lengths and make them 5m wide

2 Likes

Attach one of these beauties to the umps.
Give the remotes to a variety of fans.
When the Umpires give incorrect calls…shock treatment.:joy::joy:

6 Likes

I would do it even if they don’t make a mistake.

Pack of ■■■■■

3 Likes

It’s fairly simple to eyeball a square and a half for 15m forwards or sideways.
A 10 by 10 square is only just shy of 15m on the diagonal.
50m is obviously far simpler to get right with 10m squares.

1 Like

Same length, just cut in opposing directions.
Which is what they already do for aesthetics anyway.

1 Like

The average punter might know all of these things but it would appear the umpires don’t have a clue

3 Likes

I thought this is what they do already?

2 Likes

I’m ready to be banned but dare I say it, wouldn’t be surprised if Mozz ran too far when he kicked his Dreamtime goal…sometimes it’s good that the umps can’t measure…