Aaron Heppell

Nat rat and Bellchambers were rookies too weren't they? Maybe wrong!

Yes and no (Bellcho PSD pick… our 2nd PSD pick after JUMPIN JOHN THE GHOST WILLIAMS)

I think Bellcho was a pre season selection but yes Natrat was a rookie, I think originally with the Filth

Peverill, lovett, rioli , mark johnson

Mark Johnson could play a bit too.

its a lottery anyway. How many make it out of the clubs last picks?
I did a rookie count and posted it last year and they actually are very solid earners, around 30%+ to get games, and plenty of top players. We already have 3 or maybe 4 rookies in our best side, Smack, Bags, Hocking and maybe Howlett. And Jenkins and Crameri, both drafted as rookies, would be there if they hadn't left. It's even more impressive if you include pre season selections (Hibbs and Bellcho) which come after the rookie draft. Pretty good lottery odds. They also tend to be a bit more hard nosed than earlier picks which probably makes sense.

PSD is before the rookie draft

Yeah I had a feeling Bellchambers was a psd

“PSD is before the rookie draft”

You’re correct. My bad.

"PSD is before the rookie draft"

You’re correct. My bad.

I still reckon they should scrap the PSD. Or at the very least make it so that players who have played AFL in that year aren’t eligible. Therefore forcing trades rather than having blokes walk to the PSD.

1 Like

A Heppell was playing at Leongatha earlier in the season. Could be an average VFL player but is anyone seriously proposing an AFL list spot for him? Surely not.

I don’t think people are now, but people are seeing a strong improvement trend and extrapolating.

I think most expect he will have to go and do it week in week out at vfl level. But I think he’s surprised everyone with his late season form, especially the being in everything and winning one on one contests and running guys down from behind on the weekend. This was all stuff that was outside of what people were expecting to see. So then it’s worth wondering about the upper limit, and whether we’d all got it wrong previously.

He may plateau and be a good average vfl player. He may stagnate or go backwards, or he may grow unexpectedly into a player worth a spot on an AFL list. It’s all ahead of him. Right now he’s a massive long shot. It would be very unlikely we’d take that now. Most likely he needs 2 full seasons of vfl dominance. But then again we know him better than any other club. If we were to pluck him as a long shot it would be an informed decision.

And it’s a nice romantic dream.

How is his form pouring the frothies?

Hard to tell from the ground but looked ok again today. Not as good as last week but still up in previous output

You’re correct. My bad.

I still reckon they should scrap the PSD. Or at the very least make it so that players who have played AFL in that year aren’t eligible. Therefore forcing trades rather than having blokes walk to the PSD.

Yes. But at the same time they don’t have to be upgraded to play.

You’re correct. My bad.

Nah. The time between the ND and PSD is the only time delisted players can train with other clubs. Its a valuable chance to get a second crack.

However, teams should be compensated like FA if it occurs. Ridiculous they can lose an older player and get compo, but if someone walks they want to keep (either to ND or PSD) then they should get compensation the same (or better if the player is younger) than FA.

You’re correct. My bad.

Nah. The time between the ND and PSD is the only time delisted players can train with other clubs. Its a valuable chance to get a second crack.

However, teams should be compensated like FA if it occurs. Ridiculous they can lose an older player and get compo, but if someone walks they want to keep (either to ND or PSD) then they should get compensation the same (or better if the player is younger) than FA.

Good idea

Can we get him on a full first half preseason as a VFL lister and then take a look as a rookie if he makes some big improvements.

It is a very shallow draft pool, so we might be better giving him a crack for a season.

So…

Is this his year? Senior spot? Rookie?I

Gotta give him a go

Is an average VFL player. There are plenty of better state league prospects if that’s a path we want to take.

1 Like

Was a very good VFL player.

Cut his hair.

Is now average VFL player.

What does that tell you people over in the Dyson thread???

4 Likes