Adam Goodes Documentary

yep no worries that’s exactly what I said was it? get a grip. can’t be assed when people like you purposely put words in other people’s mouths just so u can take your moral high ground. Comments like that is why people like goodesy hide behind the racial card and ignore the fact he is just a flog

I was just adding to my suggestion of he/she/they/it for Dingus and his(?) suggestion of ‘zir’. Nothing to do with the thread topic if that’s what you thought…

Thanks for the clarification.
I used to call my little sister ‘button nose.’
Gosh, it used to upset her.

I, too, am not suggesting this has anything to do with the thread. Because that would be…I mean any comparison would just…oh dear, I need a lie down.

3 Likes

Well if you didn’t like it I was gearing up a riposte with an accusation of you being ‘objective’. I was thinking about unleashing ‘logical’ or ‘sensible’ but things are heated enough around here.

1 Like

No Goodes will come of this.

2 Likes

Boooooo!

We’ve drifted from why the term was applied into why the term is offensive. There’s no denying the horrible historical context.

2 Likes

I also don’t think there’s any denying that you just don’t do it, because it is racist.

Moral high ground. Priceless.

People like you are why there’s still anger around the lack of understanding towards the issues that continue to face indigenous Australians.

1 Like

This is why I get angry at myself for posting and getting involved in ‘political’ arguments such as this. People take your viewpoint and twist it. Apparently I said it’s ok to call indigenous people apes

1 Like

A good recent comparison for mine would be GAJ. Yep he was booed for a few weeks because of his religious beliefs (which really isn’t much better than because of race) but when we played them there was very little booing at all. That was until Dylan Shiel carelessly thrust his head at Garry’s forearm & the booing increased tenfold. Yes there was a connection between him & his religious views but that doesn’t & shouldn’t preclude him being criticised or in this case booed because of his actions.

Given the way the media have treated the club in recent years I fully expect the story to portray EFC as the club that started the racist booing.

2 Likes

It’s a complex issue.
And the title of this documentary is more than enough for me not to watch it.
That title does not imply* any complexity to me.

*or insinuate. Geez, shut up.

What part of my first post when I said people are ignorant don’t you understand? My whole point was that people need to be educated as to why words like this to indigenous people are indeed hurtful, however people using these terms towards people like Adam goodes did not necessarily mean it in a racist manner hence why I brought up the Barry hall and Fraser gehrig for an example. I don’t know how you got it in your head why I think it’s ok to call indigenous people apes

1 Like

In the early years I thought he was a good player.

In the later years I think the game was getting a bit to quick for him so he resorted to the snipping, knee dropping and acting for frees which bought on the booing

I never booed him and I dont think I’m racist…I love Tippa, Longy, Rioli and Betts even though he tears us apart each time we play him.

As a person I think he is one of the most devisive people running around. He has an indigenous mother and a white father but only identifies himself as indigenous.

Goodes has the perfect oppurtunity to try and unite black and white Australia but chooses, to instead divide the Australian people based on color.

I have to ask is the racist. Is it the person who only wants to be black and calls the racist card when things dont go right. Is it the person who pretends to throw spears at a white crowd to create anger. Is it the one who called out a young girl for calling him an ape. Sure there would be a few who do abuse him for his color. The bottom line is we are all the same race…the human race

4 Likes

I don’t know how you can possibly make that statement.

There is covert racism and overt racism. Under certain circumstances a covert racist might express it overtly and it can be quite subtle. I have no idea who are covert racists and who are not. Nor do I know what proportion of the population are one or the other or both.

Because you justified it as not being racist? Like you just did. Again.

It’s racist to call an indigenous person an ape. This isn’t hard. You don’t justify it on one hand and claim that you’re not saying it’s OK on another. That’s what justification is, by definition.

Am I misinterpreting your Barry hall comparison? Is it not a justification?

2 Likes

The rest of your post, while I don’t agree with all of it, is certainly a point of view.
This bit, though.
Yeah-nah.

An equal bottom line is that the human race has throughout its history murdered and oppressed and enslaved its own on the basis of race.
But we’re all the same, really though. It’s silly to get hung up on that, especially if your race just happened to be on the receiving end.

1 Like

Person 1: “The booing of Adam Goodes was the epitome of racism.”

Person 2: “But what about the fact that people started booing him long before the girl called him an ape, because he was a sniper, a stager and a whiner?”

Person 1: “No. That’s not the point.”

Person 2: “What about the fact that he came out and said that Australia is a racist country, and the majority of people took exception to that?”

Person 1: “No. That’s not the point”

Person 2: "What about how during that period none of the other indigenous players were being booed? And players like Franklin, Rioli, Betts and Burgoyne are revered to this day?

Person 1: “No. That’s not the point”

Person 2: “Then what is the point?”

Person 1: “It’s just… It’s just… Racism”

22 Likes

People really think the only thing Adam Goodes has done is complained about booing?

He has been a leader for Aboriginals and stood up multiple times over multiple issues, he continues to do that after football.

2 Likes

I’ll have a bit of a crack at that.
None of those other players was named Australian of the Year.

Now…do I think that was the cause of the booing?
Not really.
I think it was a factor for some.
Hoooooly crap, did you see the garbage about Waleed Aly being given a Gold Logie?
A completely made up and bought and paid for tv award.

Hell yes, I think Goodes being given that honour ■■■■■■ some people right the fark off.

2 Likes