Adelaide Hills ablaze

Going to be a very long day with fire sweeping the Adelaide Hills from the north.

Fire started yesterday at Sampson Flat, north-east of Adelaide.

Communities from One Tree Hill to the north, to Lobethal east of the fire and down as far as Oakbank have been issued with an Emergency Warning.

Winds gusting to 110km/h and wind changes to the west and south-west throughout this afternoon will only make things worse. Authorities have said this is the worst the Hills have been since Ash Wednesday.

Meanwhile, a huge grassfire to the east of the Grampians around Moyston is keeping the CFA on edge. With the wind change expected later, the potential for this fire to turn past Ararat is significant.

Shameless non-self promotion:

For Adelaide folk, there’s a fundraiser this Friday at the Producer’s Hotel on Grenfell street with all cash going to the CFS. 17 local bands on three stages (including mine) Hopefully this Bookface link works, I’m in the office and can’t check it.

https://facebook.com/events/601058943328783/

Will be a cracking event, I’ll be one of the guys in suits.

Parts of Golden Grove are now being evacuated. ■■■■■■ hell, that’s like the Dandenongs being on fire and them evacuating Mulgrave

Got within 2km of Greenwith. Close enough for me!

A reply to: @benfti regarding QuoteLink

Parts of Golden Grove are now being evacuated. ■■■■■■ hell, that's like the Dandenongs being on fire and them evacuating Mulgrave
Fire is only 1km away from Golden Grove. 2 family friends have lost their homes yesterday and atleast a further dozen friends have been evacuated. The town of Kersbrook is burning and the Fire Brigade has had to pull out of the town, several other near town were evacuated in the last 5-6 hours with some towns now being told its too late. Police have cordoned off areas and checking id's as there has been reports of looting as whole towns are evacuated. Also had a clown in a private plane circling the fires taking photos thus preventing the fire bombers doing their work. The fire started from a wanker using an incenerator on a 44 degree day

I didn’t think it was getting near town but I just read they’ve closed off gorge road. ■■■■.

A reply to: @em2009 regarding QuoteLink

I didn't think it was getting near town but I just read they've closed off gorge road. ■■■■.
Yep Cudlee Creek residents now told to stay inside as its too late to evacuate. Handorf and plenty of Hills towns evacuated. Fire only 500m from Gumeracha hospital. The leading comissioner has just announced they cant see any way of getting it under control at this stage

:frowning:

My thoughts are with those affected and those fire fighters who do an absolutely brilliant job

This wind change is now hitting Victoria, so much so it’s raining at Stawell and the weather line is from there to the coast at Apollo Bay. Will hit Melbourne about 6pm tonight.

If the wind change is as bad as they are saying (Mount William in the Grampians had a gust of 118km/h) then that fire in the Adelaide Hills can only get worse before it gets better. Agree with the sentiments.

Wind has changed to a southerly.
Fire is about 25km from here but we are surrounded by smoke and hot embers are landing only a few km’s up the road

I was checking the VIC warnings because some mates are working one of the fires and then saw this…

Spotfires and Ember Attacks are starting up to half a km ahead of the main fire and will impact on the estates south of Reid Parade.

James Hird Drive, The Sheedy Way, Warranqite Cres and the properties ,south of Reid Parade could be impacted anytime now.

A reply to: @Benny40 regarding QuoteLink

I was checking the VIC warnings because some mates are working one of the fires and then saw this...

Spotfires and Ember Attacks are starting up to half a km ahead of the main fire and will impact on the estates south of Reid Parade.

James Hird Drive, The Sheedy Way, Warranqite Cres and the properties ,south of Reid Parade could be impacted anytime now.

James Hird making it all about himself again

I was driving past Reid parade on the way home at about 2pm today and took this shot of the wood yard where the fire presumably started. There were a lot of fire trucks there but it was raging.

I read it’s under control now so it looks like James Hird Drive has been saved.

The fire had James Hird to deal with… and failed.

Guy in Adelaide reckons the fire was started by a neighbour using an incinerator. WTF? What would go through your head to use an incinerator on a fire ban day. As the neighbour said, “hope he’s got plenty of insurance”. Doubt the company would cover the guy who started the fire.

Stuff all rain at my place so far. Cooled down though.

A reply to: @Alan_Noonan_10 regarding QuoteLink

Guy in Adelaide reckons the fire was started by a neighbour using an incinerator. WTF? What would go through your head to use an incinerator on a fire ban day. As the neighbour said, "hope he's got plenty of insurance". Doubt the company would cover the guy who started the fire.
Yep 44 degree day and the moron lights an incenerator. Could be more to it though as I had lunch with a Police officer today and he mentioned that they have been called out to this guys house several times in the last few months as the bloke has tried to off himself. Only recently he was saved after being found in his shed after attempting to hang himself

A reply to: @Aceman regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @Alan_Noonan_10 regarding QuoteLink
Guy in Adelaide reckons the fire was started by a neighbour using an incinerator. WTF? What would go through your head to use an incinerator on a fire ban day. As the neighbour said, "hope he's got plenty of insurance". Doubt the company would cover the guy who started the fire.
Yep 44 degree day and the moron lights an incenerator. Could be more to it though as I had lunch with a Police officer today and he mentioned that they have been called out to this guys house several times in the last few months as the bloke has tried to off himself. Only recently he was saved after being found in his shed after attempting to hang himself

You might give the guy one free pass, but second time round, let him go. Not sure why they knocked me back as a counsellor with Lifeline.

Friday morning I thought it would be a good idea to get the crew out of Emerald for the weekend and down to my partners house. Its close to the beach, less fire risk than up here, good idea right?

She lives in Hastings, Bittern side of the Marina.

Saturday arvo I was moving them back to Emerald.