Adelaide Review thread - they got juggernauted

After that match it should be 70k pretty soon.

1 Like

He was spitting blood as he was getting assisted off the ground.

Fair call that the video isn’t 100% conclusive but it doesn’t rule out head contact either.

In this case it’s just as much about intent and it’s pretty clear what that is.

If people still doubting the value of Hooker fwd he is involved in vast majority of our goals - marking on wing or forward, bringing to ground etc.

The key reason for our fwd line turn around is very much about his presence there with JD IMO.

6 Likes

What it clearly shows is he chose NOT go for the ball and tried to clean up Zerret.
If you want to flatten guys then don’t even go close to the head. He didn’t even try and pull out etc.
I’m at peace with the decision.

7 Likes

Douglas has obviously practised that whack on the face with the free left arm as he bumps with right shoulder - that combined with the proximity to his obvious anger a few moments before at being run down by same player are enough to confirm deliberate high contact. If the concussion rule is going to keep players off then important to send a signal to those who hit the head deliberately…should have got two weeks

8 Likes

I’m all for him getting a week but Merrett did give him a whack to the back of the head only a minute before.

He’s lucky he didn’t get that holding the ball decision overturned.

1 Like

gonna be listening to the sounding board and watching afl 360 all week after this win.

4 Likes

If you look at it from the logical angle - not the one that’s being shown, you can see that first contact is between Douglas and mid way up Zach’s bicep

Screw Douglas. He took out our best midfielder for the whole game. He gets no sympathy from me.

He went past the ball and chose to bump

Fk him

22 Likes

What’s a ‘logical angle’?
There is one angle that doesn’t really show things clearly, and another that looks to me like his elbow hit Zerret’s jaw. Is there another, more logical angle I should take a look at? Link?

2 Likes

I can’t be fkd finding it but it’s the flipside of what has been shown so far. You see the contact a lot better.

1 Like

https://www.3aw.com.au/douglas-banned-for-merrett-bump/

I reckon the head bounces same time as contact to the side. But anyway where is “first contact” in the guidelines? It’s not whiplash, it’s direct head contact. If you run past the ball choose to bump and get the head whether or not you also get the side at the same time or even marginally before it’s my understanding you are gone. 1 week about right.

1 Like

The wheels are turning for Essendon with mrp and umpires. Just compare the Douglas bump to what Hannebury did to Hurley, players are now getting rubbed out for taking out Essendon players.

Woke up this morning (UAE) and it felt like all the planets were aligned and the world was in harmony with the solar system. I was wondering why…then it all made sense when I remembered that we had won. Great feeling.

5 Likes

Parish, McGrath…Stewart, Begley…GOAAAALLLL

3 Likes

Thank you someone for mentioning this.

I was level 3, wing, about 5 rows from the front, in the middle of the Essendon members and for three quarters (including the first and before the game) I have never ever ever been part of a crowd so flat. It was odd and really deflating

1 Like

Have to say it.

JLT Community Series MEANT NOTHING nor have any other pre season games ever meant anything.

6 Likes

Fixed

3 Likes

I’ve just listened to Michael Christian’s explanation of the reasoning behind Sniper Douglas’s one-week suspension on 3AW.

Christian makes no mention of the fact that Douglas, in addition to making contact between his shoulder and Merritt’s head, deliberately slapped Merritt in the face with his other hand at the same time. The 3AW timeservers didn’t ask about this either.

Is a slap to the face not to be counted as head contact but is now considered a negligible act, and a permissible tactic in tackling an opponent ?

1 Like