Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

From memory, Judkina wanted Max Hudghton.

Yep. Sheedy wanted McAllister, Martin Pyke and Paul Hills. Judkins wanted Hudghton, someone else and Byron Pickett.
Apparently McAllister was going to be available somewhere in the 50s but Sheedy wanted him early. The reason we didn’t get Pyke was because we couldn’t fit him in the salary cap.

Personally think Dodoro has done a pretty good job even moreso since Keane came on board. They seem to make a good team and I’d be shocked if anyone at the club was thinking they need to be replaced.

The key to good recruiting is good development system. Nailing the first round pick isn’t (shouldn’t) be hard, it’s nailing down the 3rd and 4th round pick that are vital.

Given how many duds turn up with 1st round picks, let alone good ordinary AFL players, I’m not sure why its considered that nailing it shouldn’t be hard. History would indicate it can be damn difficult. But then I suppose its related to everyone over-valuing draft picks.

But I agree good development is a huge factor.

It depends where your first round draft pick actually falls.

If it’s a pick 1-3, then history suggest you shouldn’t have much trouble at least finding a solid AFL player and one of the top 10 kids in the draft.

If it’s pick 19, you’re already into the second ‘round’ of picks of an uncompromised darft. And when there’s already been kids pulled out by U17 drafts & zone selections etc, and clubs have had multiple FA compensation picks inserted* into the order, then it’s effectively something like a pick 30 - ie well into the 2nd ‘round’ of picks.

*The worst thing about the FA rules, bar none. Clubs who have nothing to do with the deal are negatively affected. And it snowballs… sometimes 3rd ‘rounds’ (of 18 picks) are starting in the 40s, work that out.

It depends where your first round draft pick actually falls.

If it’s a pick 1-3, then history suggest you shouldn’t have much trouble at least finding a solid AFL player and one of the top 10 kids in the draft.

If it’s pick 19, you’re already into the second ‘round’ of picks of an uncompromised darft. And when there’s already been kids pulled out by U17 drafts & zone selections etc, and clubs have had multiple FA compensation picks inserted* into the order, then it’s effectively something like a pick 30 - ie well into the 2nd ‘round’ of picks.

*The worst thing about the FA rules, bar none. Clubs who have nothing to do with the deal are negatively affected. And it snowballs… sometimes 3rd ‘rounds’ (of 18 picks) are starting in the 40s, work that out.

I think you’re describing the Kavanagh pick!

Only because a few particularly stupid whingers on here still believe that was a massive drafting ■■■■-up, totally ignoring what was actually left on the board at that point.

I think that the further into a players career you look the more difficult it is to seperate the quality of the pick and the impact of player development.

It’s easy to identify good picks when they make an immediate impact. Eg Heppell or Zerrett. Much harder a guy like Garry O’Donnell who lad long stints in the reserves before playing in seniors.

Of course identifying the ability of a player to develop is an important part of drafting too.

Tricky science.

I think that the further into a players career you look the more difficult it is to seperate the quality of the pick and the impact of player development.

It’s easy to identify good picks when they make an immediate impact. Eg Heppell or Zerrett. Much harder a guy like Baguely or Garry O’Donnell who lad long stints in the reserves before playing in seniors.

Of course identifying the ability of a player to develop is an important part of drafting too.

Tricky science.

Not sure I’d describe Baguley’s half a season in the reserves as a long stint. He was just drafted late.

It’s easy to identify good picks when they make an immediate impact. Eg Heppell or Zerrett. Much harder a guy like Baguely or Garry O’Donnell who lad long stints in the reserves before playing in seniors.

Tricky science.

Not sure I’d describe Baguley’s half a season in the reserves as a long stint. He was just drafted late.

Sorry, brain fade. You’re spot on. Edited now.

It’s easy to identify good picks when they make an immediate impact. Eg Heppell or Zerrett. Much harder a guy like Garry O’Donnell who lad long stints in the reserves before playing in seniors.

Tricky science.

I think there are only two ways you can test/split out development.

First is to test it with consensus top 20, and maybe only top 10, picks. So the guys every recruiter agrees was a good talent (no Christian Howards). Over a 3-4 year cycle, how did a club developing those guys versus the rest? Because after that there will be too much variation in how a player is rated talent wise for later picks to split the development versus drafting out. But for those picks, if everyone rates them you differences could come down to development. Of course, you’re dealing with small numbers and injuries may make that a smaller set. How does EFC score with someone like Myers, who has probably had one injury free year in eight years?

The second approach is to see how many delisted players either get a second go at another club, or eventually get brought back to AFL. This would indicate other club list managers rate the kids talent, but not their development. Doesn’t work with poached kids. You might be able to expand it to how well they go at state level after delisting, but that’s more dubious as a measuring stick.

It would be interesting to see how we go on both basis. I suspect we do alright on the second - a lot of our fringe guys got a go at second clubs.

Hooksy in the 4th round as an underager with a glandular fever ruined year should be hailed from the rooftops.

Hooksy in the 4th round as an underager with a glandular fever ruined year should be hailed from the rooftops.

If you just switch the order around, and pretend that we took:

Pick 6: Cale Hooker
Pick 23: David Myers
Pick 39: Tom Bellchambers
Pick 55: Tayte Pears
PSD: Darcy Daniher

Then we farkin NAILED that draft.

C Y R I L

C Y R I L

I’d take Hooker over Cyril.

Although geez, imagine the Hooker-hate in 2010-12 if he had have been the guy we took over Cyril

C Y R I L

I’d take Hooker over Cyril.

Although geez, imagine the Hooker-hate in 2010-12 if he had have been the guy we took over Cyril

This alternate reality is doing my head in

I’m still not convinced Cyril wouldn’t have been an injury crock with us. Our injury management in those years was absolutely terrible - how many sets of fitness staff did we go through? I think Weapon was #3 so at least four.

That Puopolo bloke taken at 66 would of fitted in well with us

early on I remember going to a VFL game. Hooker & Gumbleton played as key forwards for Bendigo.
I ended up posting that I thought that Hooker was going to be a better player than Gumbleton. I copped an absolute pasting from posters on this forum. A lot of others wouldn’t have a bar of it, purely because their draft positions. I’m pretty satisfied my call back then. As I’ve got many others wrong!