Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

I don’t consider the wing ‘midfield’ and that’s where Mutch has spent almost all his time in the VFL. The kid averaged about 35 touches a game and was a clearance king in juniors, was always too slow for the wing so why the hell have we kept him there for 4 years?

4 Likes

Yeah, not sure. He has also been injured quite a lot though, so would’ve had his development hampered in that regard anyway.

1 Like

I don’t think we should be throwing big cash (not that we have it anyway) at a Crouch or Wines btw, I’m just not convinced that we’re particularly good at drafting midfielders outside of the first round. Merrett is the obvious exception but that’s about it.

And I dunno if that’s down to drafting to development, but we’re not going anywhere until we figure it out.

2 Likes

I’m actually more hopeful for this years draft than normal. With no exposed form we might actually be a chance to luck upon some midfielders. Hopefully they don’t even have a combine & we don’t even get players measurements or positions so we are much less likely to get any more sub 180cm flankers. Just as the draft penalties of 2014 led to Dodoro’s best drafting I’m hoping 2020’s unique challenges changes our fortunes.

2 Likes

Considering that we will only have 1 pick in the first 40, I wouldn’t get your hopes up for some kind of ‘transformation’…SNORT!

Ha! I do love that you’ve eventually gotten to this point.

Delist adrian asap

1 Like

This guy is genuinely the most bizarre case. How is he still here? How is his position safe with the absolute ■■■■ that’s come through since basically 2001.

Some of the things I’ve heard about him are unbelievable too. Apparently he watches sweet fa full games of football, and tends to pop his head into a junior game for a quarter or so. Sometimes 10 minutes.

He picks players on a tip off and hunch from interstate, and delegates to his other recruiters whenever he can.

He is no good. At all.

It’s a running joke now throughout the whole comp. Get rid of this clown.

5 Likes

Our recruiting staff do not teach the players to drop their heads, to play with a lack of intensity, to play players in their wrong positions…thats on the coaches. They also don’t control the AFL umpires decisions…thats on the AFL.

We have a group of very talented youngsters coming through…thats well done by the recruiters.

What we do need to do is trade anyone of value that is not going to be playing for the EFC in 3 years time…if we want success this must happen.

The thing with this guy is that if you post anything factual that outlines his mediocrity, failure, and flaws you get DESTROYED by the Essendon faithful.

How and when did he get God like status?

If i have to hear again about Saad, Stringer, Smith, & Shiel ill fall over… FFS he has presided over the most baron run in recent history and after all the trades and high draft picks our list still sucks.

How the fark is this bloke so bullet proof?

Every other club changes, builds, and contends. Essendon just remain the same.

6 Likes

Can’t lay all the blame at him, our development of players has been pathetic.
Andy McGrath was pick #1, is a very good player but should probavly be pushing top 10-15 in the league and he is nowhere near it. He is great for us but I reckon we have stunted him.
Alot of our players are mentally weak, happy to be B-grade and don’t push themselves to be elite and that is where both the player and the club fail.

5 Likes

I think we should trade Parish. Clearly he prefers to play inside mid, but I’m not convinced he’s capable of that for long periods. The coaches clearly prefer others. I’d prefer someone who is better on the outside because I think we’ve got enough guys capable of playing inside mid.

I think now is the best time while he’s still worth something.

I would argue Shiel and Stringer were better at their other clubs than at our club, which suggests the problem is not just Dodoro.

They had much better players around them. Stringer is my favourite player in the squad.
The point is you can’t qualify Dodorro hanging around on the acquisition of trading them in for high picks when there’s another 14 years of absolute cactus.

They also came to the club and other players were talking about how awesome they are at training and how fit they are. Maybe they aren’t that awesome at training, maybe our players don’t know how to push themselves.

So you’re happy with the list Adrian has assembled?
Finals winning list?
5 year contract extension? Give him a few more years…

Old man was a sponsor, got him a job taking down the net behind the goals at Windy Hill. Became Sheedys PA/gopher.

That’s his CV.

3 Likes

The thing is that NOBODY has ever in 22 years come remotely close to laying all the blame at him. The same people who blame him for poor draft choices, poor list management decisions & poor list balance are the same people who blame the coaches for poor planning & positioning, the same people who blame the match committee for poor selections & the same people who have blamed the medical & fitness staff for poor injury management. ALL of these things have been issues in the club for a long time. In short there is absolutely no reason to believe any aspect of the club has been good enough.

Conversely its the people defending Dodoro who also defend every other criticism of every other aspect of the club. Its almost as if they are blissfully unaware that the club has any issues at all. These are the same people who said things like “Jackson is rated as one of the best CEO’s in the business” all while the club fell woefully behind the league in every facet.

This is a competitive industry & the trend across the league is that you turn over critical areas to gain & or maintain an edge over the competition. Clubs with far more recent success than us have changed their equivalent person to Dodo several times so why exactly do we think our stay the course approach is better?

7 Likes

That’s somewhat harsh. I don’t know that there have been too many #1 picks that have become top 10-15 in the comp by their 4th season. I don’t think Luke Hodge was by 2005, which was his 4th season. He’s tracking well and IMO he’s one of the few players in the club who has professional pride in his performance. He’s still got bits to his game to iron out, but he’s definitely heading in the right direction.

Back to Dodoro, one thing that really ■■■■■ me is that he’s been made an exalted figure by some supporters off the back of very little. The club released a podcast series centred around him. Really? Have Geelong done that with Stephen Wells, who has a reputation and a track record of success that would warrant it? Yet we do this for a bloke who has been responsible for putting together a list that hasn’t won a final for 16 years and that barren run does not look like halting any time soon. Incredible!

7 Likes

PREACH

It is just so beyond a joke how much of a blind following the man has.

1 Like