Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

The record for success isn't so bad. The record for producing elite talent ain't so great.

Myers, Hurley, Ryder, Heppell, Melksham, Gumby from roughly the last decade. Only Gumby is a complete bust due to injury, but most of the others aren’t hitting the heights you would want/expect. Doesn’t help that despite never winning a final in that time we only have 6 top 10 picks, of which only two are top #5.

Getting top end talent from those picks should be the absolute minimum requirement.

It might be the minimum requirement, it frequently over a draft isn’t the minimum outcome.

That said, that we haven’t had more become stars is a concern. It depends a little how Hurley/Ryder are rated, and injuries haven’t helped for Gumby, Myers and even Hurley to a degree.

I’m a big Myers fan personally.

The record for success isn't so bad. The record for producing elite talent ain't so great.

Myers, Hurley, Ryder, Heppell, Melksham, Gumby from roughly the last decade. Only Gumby is a complete bust due to injury, but most of the others aren’t hitting the heights you would want/expect. Doesn’t help that despite never winning a final in that time we only have 6 top 10 picks, of which only two are top #5.

Getting top end talent from those picks should be the absolute minimum requirement.

It might be the minimum requirement, it frequently over a draft isn’t the minimum outcome.

That said, that we haven’t had more become stars is a concern. It depends a little how Hurley/Ryder are rated, and injuries haven’t helped for Gumby, Myers and even Hurley to a degree.

Hurley is the best player from the top 10 of that draft imo.

He counts as a drafting success, especially considering how huge the temptation would have been to take a mid like Rich, Ziebell or Sidebottom. (Not saying those guys are no good, but a player like Hurley is very hard to find.)

He can only pick the players he believes are the best available. Its then up to the club to develop them into good or better AFL players, something we have really struggled with.

Think he has done a very good job all things considered.

How long has he been at the club now? I know since 2006 he was able to gain control of list management from Sheedy but I think the club could look at moving him on. How many people would last 8 off-seasons without building a side that could win even one final?

To be fair, since he’s been on board we’ve gotten into 3 finals (would be 4 except ASADA in 2013), so we’ve had chances, not capitalised. And you can only draft with the picks you have.

That said, if NOB, Kav, Steinberg are all flops, his and Keane’s mid-draft drafting is looking weaker. Still has Pears, Colyer, Carlisle, Zerrett of course in that 20 to 30 range, but 30 to 50 is weaker (although the probability of success is obviously lower as well).

To be fair, since he's been on board we've gotten into 3 finals (would be 4 except ASADA in 2013), so we've had chances, not capitalised. And you can only draft with the picks you have.

That said, if NOB, Kav, Steinberg are all flops, his and Keane’s mid-draft drafting is looking weaker. Still has Pears, Colyer, Carlisle, Zerrett of course in that 20 to 30 range, but 30 to 50 is weaker (although the probability of success is obviously lower as well).

NOB was pick 59 (and essentially a plan B when we missed out on Tory Dickson) - Guns in that range are few and far between, can’t really say they messed up that one.

Let’s not forget that We’ve had to endure 2-3 heavily compromised drafts thanks to GWS and GCS followed by two in which we were denied 1st round selections.

No wonder we are so desperate for young midfield talent.

I would H8 to be in Merv and Adrian’s shoes these past few years.

To be fair, since he's been on board we've gotten into 3 finals (would be 4 except ASADA in 2013), so we've had chances, not capitalised. And you can only draft with the picks you have.

NOB was pick 59 (and essentially a plan B when we missed out on Tory Dickson) - Guns in that range are few and far between, can’t really say they messed up that one.

Let’s not forget that We’ve had to endure 2-3 heavily compromised drafts thanks to GWS and GCS followed by two in which we were denied 1st round selections.

We must not of wanted Dickson too bad considering he went at 57. Lachie Neale went at 58 that year also. We took Merrett at pick 31 over Brad Hill and Jack Newnes, still hoping Jackson can turn out well, looks to have promise just need to see a bit more from him

Ah, I forgot NOB was our 3rd pick, Jerrett 2nd. Was remembering it around the other way.

We must not of wanted Dickson too bad considering he went at 57.

He was a 23 year old VFL player, who at the time was seen as a possible back up for Crameri/Monfries.
I can understand why we didn’t feel the need to take him at 31 when we’d just recruited Steinberg who was seen to be fitting a similar role.

Anyway, Dickson would have been handy the past couple of years for the odd cameo 4 goal game.

But, Merrett will end up a solid player for this club in the long term.

He was a 23 year old VFL player, who at the time was seen as a possible back up for Crameri/Monfries.
I can understand why we didn’t feel the need to take him at 31 when we’d just recruited Steinberg who was seen to be fitting a similar role.

Anyway, Dickson would have been handy the past couple of years for the odd cameo 4 goal game.

■■■■■■■ hope so

■■■■■■■ hope so

■■■■■■■ hope so

One good game (against Carlscum) ages ago and not much since. Still a long way off it - footy’s not just about being able to run fast!

How long has he been at the club now? I know since 2006 he was able to gain control of list management from Sheedy but I think the club could look at moving him on. How many people would last 8 off-seasons without building a side that could win even one final?
Since 1983 when he was still in Grade 12. He started as "match writer" for the Reserves. Which meant he sat there with the magnetic board with the players names and moved them to the positions, and then he wrote down everything the coach (Kevin Morris) said during the quarter, so they could bring it back up with the players at the next break. He then moved to doing the same thing for Sheedy in the Seniors and eventually was offered a job at the club coordinating the scouting reports on players. This led to a spot in recruiting when the draft became the only way players could come to the club. He's worked in and around recruiting since about 1990. So effectively he's been an Essendon person for 30 years and worked in recruiting for most of that time. He's headed up Recruiting, either on his own, or with Merv Keane, for more than 25 years. But maybe we could go out and get someone with more experience, or better equipped to pick players suited to the culture at Essendon somewhere else...

■■■■■■■ hope so

One good game (against Carlscum) ages ago and not much since. Still a long way off it - footy’s not just about being able to run fast!

He’s not that far off it now. He’s not going to be a mega impact player, they don’t put him in midfield enough to ever be a 30 touch guy.
Since 1983 when he was still in Grade 12. He started as "match writer" for the Reserves. Which meant he sat there with the magnetic board with the players names and moved them to the positions, and then he wrote down everything the coach (Kevin Morris) said during the quarter, so they could bring it back up with the players at the next break. He then moved to doing the same thing for Sheedy in the Seniors and eventually was offered a job at the club coordinating the scouting reports on players. This led to a spot in recruiting when the draft became the only way players could come to the club. He's worked in and around recruiting since about 1990. So effectively he's been an Essendon person for 30 years and worked in recruiting for most of that time. He's headed up Recruiting, either on his own, or with Merv Keane, for more than 25 years. But maybe we could go out and get someone with more experience, or better equipped to pick players suited to the culture at Essendon somewhere else...

Let’s bring Sheedy back then if time at the club is the sole criteria for keeping an employee.

Let’s bring Sheedy back then if time at the club is the sole criteria for keeping an employee.

You know that we did, right?

You know that we did, right?

You know that I’m referring to him as coach, right?

Jobs for the boys. Maybe its time to bring this critical area into the modern age of accountability & get somebody with a better record of finding talent & effectively managing a list. Just because he’s been at the club for that long doesn’t mean we should overlook the realities of his record. Our recruiting & list management has, like most areas of the club, been below par for 15 years.

I reckon it’s been par (or slightly better) since we got serious & took Sheedy out of recruiting, and put Disco on full-time (2006?) and got Keane alongside (2007).

I don’t think it says much about him personally either way. A single person, working part time around his match day duties, with a cantankerous old boss constantly over-ruling him wasn’t able to keep up departments who had multiple guys full-time. Other than illustrate how far behind the 8 ball we were.
Richmond were the same, Miller was footy manager/recruiter.

15 years ago was soon after Judkins left IIRC. We were winning so we started with crap picks, the cap was stuffed meaning we had to chase deals on old blokes at the last minute, & we lost draft picks due to those cap infringements. He got passed a hand grenade.
And Disco was holding the clipboard at matches & then watching tapes during the week. The hand grenade went off.
Sheedy had his mitts all over the 01 draft (I know Reynolds was all Sheedy, obviously McAlister was, suspect Salmon, not sure about S Harvey) was a massive catastrophe. No exaggeration to say that GF sides were built at that draft.

Not that any of this is necessarily saying that he’s the perfect right bloke going forward but the context is everything.

Since 08 I think we’re looking OK given the picks we (haven’t) had. Kav like everyone who went around him a failure, Shotgun was a bad call, we didn’t completely strike out with Melks but could’ve done better, Cooney looks a bad call, etc etc. Little issues here and there - but I think his hit rate is not too shabby.

Wouldn’t mind us upgrading to Lloyd from Freo.
But ultimately we need to get back into the draft. I just want to see us dig into the list & use 6+ picks, don’t really care who calls them out.