Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 2)

What club picks them with the same frequency that we do? We took Jones, Reid, and Cox, all of whom are similar in body type within a year of each other. They were also taken relatively high in the draft, meaning they were big investments and we focus on them more.

I’d also argue that lots of clubs have issues with their talls getting injured. Perhaps not to the same degree as we do, but that could be because we took several of the same type of player within a short time frame.

I’m also not arguing that our fitness department is perfect and no doubt they could improve. But I do think it is extremely simplistic and perhaps even a little naive to suggest that 100% of injury issues are their fault and no other contributing factors could be involved.

1 Like

I hope Vozzo is going after Richmond’s LM Blair Hartley. I reckon we could get him now.

3 Likes

Interesting that Voss and Baldwin haven’t had issues with back stress fractures……

4 Likes

also interesting that neither have Zerk, Draper or McBride

5 BIG UNIT

BIG BAD BLADWIN

Haha yep…it’s almost as if they have a body type suitable for high intensity, contact sport and Reid/Cox don’t :thinking:

Dodoro has spent 15 years trying to find the Nick Reiwoldt proto type KPP, who is 200cm, runs all day, and skinny as f*ck.

Many of these players don’t have the muscular frame to withstand a full time professional load.

There also a train of thought that the longer strides of tall & long limbed players, puts more pressure on feet, ankles, knees and spine… and this why we keep seeing issues with feet and spinal injuries. This has been a significant issue with NBA players.

1 Like

I have no issue with us drafting this type of player, but I think the real issues are:

• should you draft this player with high picks? (Would a 75kg Jones really be a first round prospect)
  • should you draft a bunch of these players at once from a lost balance perspective?
1 Like

Tall players with talent go high in the draft.

1 Like

Exactly….

Jack Gunston was 193cm & a very slightly built player when drafted, even now only 86kg

If you want to compare player types for Jones that’s where he is, not in the bigger kpf’s

We got him at pick 30

Jones is a raw prospect at 194cm and 75kg, and he will need time to develop his body before he plays consistent football at the next level, its always hard to judge contested marking in young players as it’s something usually developed through gaining experience and strength and gaining this skill could really set Jones apart at the next level and his tackling is already strong so wth some added size he could really stick them and potentially be an imposing player down the track.

DRAFT RANGE: 20-35

Sam Darcy was in pick 1 calculations and only 75kg in draft year

1 Like

Given Sam Darcy is now listed at 97kg, I doubt he was 75kg when drafted. Unless the Doggies have put him on steroids

He was a stick, I reckon his parents didn’t feed him.

He would have learnt to drink beer and KFC at the doggies.

2 Likes

Jones was taken in the second round

1 Like

Nick Bryan is an interesting contrast to cox, jones & reid - although this discussion belongs in the injury/murph discussion threads.

Bryan was also drafted as a skinny and has played in a more physical position - ruck - without major injury so far. But critically he plays VFL not AFL.

The idea that skinny talls don’t belong in AFL until they have an AFL ready body - 3 years after drafting in many cases - is worth considering.

Just imagine Blitzers when we draft Reid’s lil bro, and are told we won’t see him in the 1s until 2027! We’ll have him as the messiah, delisted and then martyred before we even see him play.

1 Like

There’s more to it, but now isn’t the time to bring up the NBA.
Victor Wembenyana is going pick 1 even though he has the same risks involved.
I highly doubt that San Antonio pass on his ‘generational talent’ because of that risk.

These guys aren’t getting stress fractures on the field.

And yet, they have all been dominant under 18 year old players whilst being young & skinny.

Seriously, these injuries are on the development staff & not recruiting or the coaching staff. If skinny kids break easier until their bodies mature, modify their workloads so they don’t break… before they do. Most big players were skinny once apon a time.

Fletcher was tall & skinny wasn’t he

3 Likes

It really does seem like the key is holding them back from running loads / full training during the period where still growing and trying to put on weight at same time

They do it in players first year, but perhaps it needs to be done for longer period

And if that means they are then perceived as not being ready for AFL selection for a while into their careers so be it. VFL with managed time. Weeks off regularly. Blocks of no running at all even.

Which is all counter to these kids in a hurry wanting to get out there and impact,but it has to be done for their long term benefit it seems.

2 Likes

And with foot injuries, I firmly believe that is linked to workloads on a hard surface using footware that is not appropriate. I would not be using football boots in purely running activities EVER and I certainly would NEVER be using football boots indoors at the hanger EVER for any activity

That explains why Fletcher made it through 1993 as a 17/18 year old.
Told efc already done training at school so got out of extra running.
Told school, didn’t need to do any running due to extra sessions at EFC.

5 Likes