Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 2)

As he should have.

There can be no value to the club of him answering either:

“It said me and the list management and recruitment team didn’t know what we were doing and selected sht players”

Or

“It said that we were fine, but the rest of the club was dysfunctional”

Or anything in between.

Those are “gotcha” questions that the only correct thing to do is dodge

3 Likes

not really contradictory.

you could literally get a person of blitz to throw darts at all the board filled with all the draftees from year to year blindfold and you’d still hit a whole bunch of talented kids.

would they be the right kids to pick, who knows
would it work out who knows.

to even get to a position to be drafted you have to be to a certain talented level. Dylan clarke got drafted and he couldn’t ■■■■■■■ kick a ball to save his life, so he had talent in other areas.

you’ve also got to know that what you draft has to work within the confines of what the club is.
people want to point out the clubs developing is ■■■■. it is so why draft so many players who need a whole bunch of development ? clarke again being an example

why pick tall skinny players knowing they take longer to develop again in a club that is poor at development ? we just delisted to and picked up another one in this draft.

no it’s not all down to him, but at some point the list manager actually has to manage a ■■■■■■■ list. if he’s just a yes man to other people then the same ■■■■ is going to continue to happen.

the next best time to boot him is right now

It’s just time.

Doesn’t need to be a public execution like many want. A respectfull and honourable parting of ways is fine by me.

Like a lot of aspects to this club we need fresh eyes, we need to start sourcing IP from the good clubs. We need people hungry for success and whose performance is appropriately measured.

Dodo has done good things and he’s made some mistakes. He’s been a huge feature of the club for decades but it’s just time.

10 Likes

Of course. I was just mentioning it as it’s the only time that feedback on list management has been raised publicly.

We don’t know what was said

1 Like

People give a lot praise to Dodoro and Forster-Knight for picking serviceable players in the draft.

Personally I’d like to see a list manager take big swings at the draft who is not afraid to get it wrong, so we can find genuine superstars. I don’t think we are high risk enough, which is why we rarely find elite players.

My big problem is the lack of character in recruiting players. For a long time our playing group don’t look ambitious and don’t have genuine competitiveness.

2 Likes

I disagree, our “hugs all around” club attitude drives away any ambition or genuine competitiveness.

1 Like

And rightly so.

1 Like

We need to fark off Dodoro and do our best to head hunt the best in the business with an established track-record to fill Dodoro’s (absolutely tiny) shoes.

I don’t care what anyone says, you could have a coach who had all of the best qualities of Scott/Clarkson/Lyon combined, and they’d still fail with a Dodoro list.

Get someone who can actually give our coach a chance.

It will be amicable if that’s what happens. He’s actually a very likeable and generally popular figure. He’s an EFC Life member too and Essendon person.

3 Likes

You don’t think we did that recently with Perkins, Cox and Tsatas?

1 Like

And at the same time people smash the team for picking Steinberg, or Francis.

People are all for taking big swings, but only if you get them 100% correct.

Our recruitment has been far from perfect, but as a list management team they were dealt an absolute sht sandwich over the last decade.

As for whether our playing group “look competitive”, that’s club culture, not the players selected. And that culture has necessarily been one that was focused on support of those players who had their careers stolen. Plenty of our players are naturally competitive (reference: Parish driving a guys head into the ground when tackling him), but when there’s a cloud if depression hanging over the place it’s hard to maintain the positivity. Hopefully the new group can change the vibe.

6 Likes

Whenever he does leave I picture him putting on a jacket one final time then giving one of these like The Undertaker before exiting into the distance forever

And yet most list managers don’t last a decade in the job.

Because the recruiters selected a 19 year old forward who the coaches developed as key back, and who in his two seasons forward at age 28 and 32 scored 41 goals from 20 games and 33 from 18. But fundamentally, because of bad luck on Gumby & D. Daniher, we had to make a choice who to play forward. The coaches chose the wrong one.

1 Like

So just to confirm, you don’t think there are bad recruiters. That every team has plenty of talent on their lists.

Right…

1 Like

We always seem to have good picks in dud drafts, or picks just behind where good players are drafted.

Oh yes. Because Gumbleton who we drafted in 2006 and was injured straight away had anything to do with our list in 2014

1 Like

It’s schrodinger’s bombers. When the list manager opens the box, the list is fundamentally compromised by factors beyond their control. When a coach opens the box, it’s a perfectly fine list that there’s no excuses not to have performing at a high level.

1 Like

Every team has deluded supporters who believe they have loads of talent on their list. You are not alone.

3 Likes