Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

I have exactly the same thoughts.

Others clubs have players that dominate for 10 years plus.

We haven’t had players doing that.

When you look at a club like Carlton who surely we can all agree haven’t been a great drafting or developing club over the last decade+ they still have seen top end regular performers particularly in the midfield. Now of course that was mainly from thier no.1 picks but what it clearly highlights for mine is that talent tops everything. Gibbs, Murphy and now Cripps all developed into very good mids in the same system that couldn’t make spuds like Boekhorst, Lucas and Bootsma anything but crap. Does anyone here believe those players were good picks just not developed good enough??? Does anyone here really believe Myers for example was simply development away from being a top mid??? I absolutely believe development is important but I just don’t believe you can develop crap into class and firmly believe that talent can shine through even in the worst teams. We have not had enough midfield talent since 2000.

2 Likes

On your Myers point, I believe injury therefore lack of consistency was holding him back from being a top mid. if prevention of injuries is placed under development, then yes.

FFS he has no right side is slow, has never been a creative player and I don’t believe injury makes him panic under pressure and simply blind hack the ball on his boot. Of course injury has limited his continuity but I can’t say I have seen any sign of top end qualities. He wasn’t good enough to kick guys like Morton and Palmer out of WA’ s midfield as a junior hence why he was the Dodoro special - a flanker we’ve tried to turn into a mid.
A guy like Gumby you could at least see a glimpse of his talents and he had far less opportunity than Myers.

2 Likes

We still sacking this bloke?

Great debut from Ridley.

4 Likes

Bahahaha typical.

1 Like

Still wondering how our completely talentless and inept midfield was able to compete with Dangerwoodlett, Duncan, Menegola and Kelly. It has me stuffed.

3 Likes

I’m wondering why they cant do it on a consistent basis

5 Likes

When we have a midfield that’s expected to and does compete well against everyone I’ll be happy.

1 Like

Hmmm been a bit quiet on here I wonder why?

2 Likes

Because the teams we have played dont have small forwards.

Saad, Stringer, Smith, Guelfi and Zerk Thatcher in 2017.

Looks likely Dodoro has nailed another draft period.

2 Likes

Guess no one’s ever allowed to question Woosha’s coaching since we won two games in a row.

I still maintain my view on Dodoro and beating two average teams doesn’t change it.

If we can keep up 200 plus pressure acts per game then our midfield goes from looking 3rd rate to 2nd rate.

Hopefully we can get through to the finals and not run into a 1st rate midfield also amping up the pressure.

Still a lot of work to be done for Dodoro to get that elusive finals win.

Coniglio, Shiel, Ward, Kelly, Hopper, Whitfield not a first rate midfield?

1 Like

Yep, 1st rate. Wouldn’t want to go up against them in a Final when their pressure acts increase.

You haven’t watched GWS’ finals, have you.

2 Likes

Well, they’ve made 2 straight preliminary finals.

They would’ve made 2 straight grand finals if they’d been able to lift to the occasion.

They lost to the eventual premier both times, though.

They were pretty damn good in that 2016 prelim. It was an epic game of footy, GWS just lost to a fairytale.

I would be looking at their fitness department pretty closely. An extraordinary amount of injuries over the last two seasons has killed any momentum they had.

1 Like