Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

They are all above us on the ladder.

Which given we are 12th

a) isn’t much of an achievement

b) we have lost to three sides below us.

3 Likes

As a club we should be getting on the front foot and understanding how we can live trade picks to our advantage. They will come in this year or next.

I felt we were slow out if the blocks in understanding how to move up the draft order by exchanging points when they were introduced. Don’t let this happen again.

1 Like

It’s fair to state I’m pretty happy with the 2017 selections at this stage. Particularly given we gave everything up to get across SSS.

Houlahan is too early to tell if he will make it, but does have talent, so some hope.
Zerk-Thatcher looks like an inspired selection. Like him a lot.
Guelfi is already playing semi-regular AFL.
Mynott looks handy as a rookie pick.
Lavender… well it has pleased his old man to get him out of the house, and is a fine longterm prospect.

4 Likes

You lot are funny. We beat finalists from last year and it is “oh that doesn’t mean much, it isn’t relevant or important”

The effort this forum goes to to try and downplay any achievement at this club is amazing. Do you people actually support this team?

1 Like

Single or a few games one way or the other makes no difference to this thread. We haven’t suddenly been a good side over the last 14 years because we beat GWS &/or Geelong this year just the same as losing to Carlton didn’t change anything either.

This thread is kinda like the Myers thread, 1 good game doesn’t change the fact that Myers has been a disappointing player throughout his career. People throw up all kinds of excuses & what-ifs but again the facts are that his career has been mostly below average. Nothing is going to change the last decade just like nothing is going to change the facts of Dodoro’s drafting.

FWIW I believe our list is better than its current position & I certainly don’t hold Dodoro responsible for form from week to week but I do hold him responsible for the quality & balance of the list over the last 15 years. In his tenure (other than the list he inherited) I don’t believe we have had a list that has been capable of winning the flag. Some may argue the saga derailed a list that was trending upwards but the late season slumps were a feature before the saga & again that doesn’t change the decade pre-saga where I don’t believe anyone could realistically say we had a strong list.

3 Likes

2 wins in a row. Big deal

We have been garbage since Dodoro took over

Must go

1 Like

@aceman likes Grigg, @barnz.

Ace do you reckon he’ll go this year?

Don’t know, I thought he may have gone last year. He really deserves another crack and wouldn’t cost the earth in salary or picks

Definitely won’t cost much. Would be a late pick and pretty much minimum chips contract, the guy just wants a chance so would (I assume) accept any terms for that chance. It means more to guys like Grigg IMO. Think we’re seeinh it in Guelfi now, attacks every contest & game like its his last. Overlooked in drafts, worked his way onto a list the hard way and has a point to prove. Similar story for Baguley & Hibberd at the start too. I’d like to give him a chance, certainly feel like he offers at least as much as others already on our list in an area of need.

3 Likes

Who’s Grigg?

Big bodied inside mid with raking left foot

2 Likes

Thanks Speedy.

1 Like

Sounds like David Myers

1 Like

Nah he doesn’t protect the kids.

You make it sound like he is the only one who decides what players we pick and the balance of the side is up to him.

More than one person is used to make this sort of determination and to look for certain types of players.

A list that was trending upwards? IMO 13/14 the best 22 was almost spot on, save for maybe an established key forward.

Of course, that’s the crux of how people regard Dodoro. If you think the list circa 2013 was within touching distance of winning then Dodoro has done a pretty decent job. If you think we were miles off, then he’s open to a lot more criticism. The other element that impacts individuals views is how much credibility they give to the possible headwinds he potentially had in the early and late 00’s (late picks, tight salary cap, recycling of players, Sheedy picks, lack of resourcing for recruitment or development coaches).

Of course, how close or not we were if the Saga never occurs, if we kept our 2013 1st and 2nd rounders (or traded, we’d got Goddard the year before so we were open for business) is everyone’s personal opinion.

I do find it funny that simply being around a long time without EFC winning a premiership means he’s automatically done a bad job. I don’t see anyone using the same logic with Reid.

2 Likes

Im just countering the point that ‘in the last 15 years we havent had a list capable of winning a flag’. I think we have. Whether dodoro has done a good job over the past 15 years is another question.

1 Like

Absolutely, I can’t see how we could possibly be running a thin budget on recruitment.