Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

Yep.
They’re very very even, and very very smart.

He got us the good Brown AND the good McKernan
:+1:

1 Like

Getting the three SSS - an 11/10 performance for the last trade period.

One would have been a massive win. Getting all three is ridiculous.

5 Likes

Imagine how we would look this season without SSS!!

Honestly think we would have won half the games.

2 Likes

So when does Dodorro start getting credit for building a midfield?

Heppel, Zerret, Zaka, Smith, Raz, McG, Langford and Parish are looking like pretty decent midfielders to me. You need 10 mids in a team(7 defenders, 4 forwards and a ruck). So I reckon those 8 I named are pretty much locks in that 10 for the next 5 years.

Our good wins against Nth, WC, Geelong, GSW and Port have been won in the midfield against teams that have good midfields.

It’s building quite nicely.

6 Likes

Exactly. And you know there are another 5 or 6 in the 2s that are upcoming stars that will come through in the next couple of years. All thanks to very good recruiting !!! And you can see its a well balanced list as well with most positions covered off by the players coming through.

So credit is due to the Recruiting Team and some Blitzers need to eat humble pie. When you think back, what chance did any of the big Melbourne team have of recruiting A graders when GWS, Gold Coast and the Tin Rattlers where getting 1st dibs for the last decade.

I know this sounds a bit strange, but the list we have assembled now is in no small part due to the Saga.

1 Like

When they start performing well on a consistent basis. Dont forget this year have been smashed by Freo and Collingwood and gave carlton their only win FFS.

Last 6 weeks have been very good but let’s not forget the reasons we are 7-7 and not something like 10-4 or 9-5. We still have a long way to go but the last 6 weeks have been very very promising

1 Like

We were smashed by Freo? I don’t think 16 points is a smashing. We’ve been smashed 2-3 times this year but Freo wasn’t one of them.

Given how the team is performing currently and the seeming depth we have it would seem the list management team has done their job. Getting the best out of that list isn’t Dodoro’s job, it’s the coaching panel’s.

1 Like

I don’t fully understand the dynamic of how this works so well as to translate into the best team by about 5 goals. But clearly it does. It’s almost like the necessity of 5 or 6 quality mids has been replaced by a fleet of about 12 mids+small forwards who collectively provide ground level dominance all over the field. I’m happy for dimma that he is a key part of it, but I can’t believe that this different structure was discovered other than by accident due to injury and availability.

Did you watch the game? It was clearly a game where the scoreboard flattered us. Kicked the last 3 goals when the game was done and dusted

1 Like

EFC have been smashed in 2 games. Richmond and Collingwood

Essendon wasn’t smashed by Freo, Essendon never showed up, Essington though were completely out played.

They are the best team defensively at ground level by a long, long way. Get past one and there’s another. Get past that one and there’s another. They just keep going and going.

Freo only got out to more than 4 goals in front for about 10 minutes of the whole game, was 15-25 point margin for most of the second half

We never really threatened, but it wasn’t a smashing.

I reckon dogs game was the nadir. Absolutely uncompetitive from the first minute.

1 Like

And yet we could have probably beaten the Dogs if JD didn’t ballsup that goal opportunity late

1 Like

As bad as we were against the Dogs, surely the Carlton game was the nadir?
I will admit indidn’t see the Carlton game and haven’t bothered watching a second of it

2 Likes

C*nton game we were bad, lots of mistakes, lots of dumb sucked-in stuff, but there was some sort of effort there.

Dogs game really felt like a coach-sacking sort of game. Weird.

1 Like

The Freo game was far from the worst of the year. We certainly weren’t good, but we weren’t the diabolical mess that followed. Freo actually played well that day.

If the Dogs had kicked straight in the first qtr, it would have been a ten goal smashing.