Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

I understand this is a fact and it is extremely dissapointing. But… unless I find out the guy had a hand in implementing our cutting edge supplements program…I’m gonna cut him some slack and assume that we would have won a final if not for the debacle.

1 Like

even 1 AA will do from the 3 mentioned

No, I was thinking Saad, Smith, Stringer and Shiel. Otherwise I’d have said “drafted”.

1 Like

It was very obvious what you meant.

1 Like

In 5 years time we will have drafted a minimum of 15 players to the main list and 5-10 rookies.

The players of note who will retire in the next 5 years (with presumed replacement) are:
Hooker (Zerk Thatcher)
Myers (Stringer)
Bellchambers (Draper)
Zaharakis (?)
McKernan (?)
Hurley (Francis)

So we already have coverage for most of the attrition of the next 5 years.

2024 best 22 if we don’t draft a single player in the next 5 years would look like this.

Saad Zerk Gleeson
McKenna Francis McGrath
Smith Langford Merrett
Fantasia Stringer Parish
Tippa Daniher Mosquito
Heppell Draper Sheil

Redman Begley Laverde Ridley

Emerg: Guelfi Stewart Mutch

Now I rate Draper, Zerk, Ridley, Redman and Begley. If you don’t see anything in those players, then I can maybe understand your pessimism, but to me that team looks pretty solid.

5 Likes

I’m not going to comment on individuals since I haven’t seen much of any of them (except Jok in his u18 year where he was brand new to the game and had absolutely zero idea what he was doing on a footy field), but in terms of types you seem to be right.

Lots of upside, but in the main draft one bloke who’s very small, one bloke who’s fairly new to the game, and one bloke who badly needs to put some beef on.

Still managed to cover our needs fairly well though. Pace and outside run, a bit of tall forward succession planning or backup in case of Joe’s injuries/Stewart not getting his ■■■■ together/Smack returning to being the old bad Smack. And Dea comes back to give us some more small/med defender depth. While we can’t say all the bases are actually covered in our weaker position, we do have more depth in those positions now, assuming Clark comes on board of course. Pretty much what you’d hope for from a bunch of late picks really.

4 Likes

Let me begin by saying I was VERY disappointed with what was gave up to get Shiel…because I only want to be paying $800k for a free agent (ie. no draft pick cost).

But, I like the news that we are going with 38 on the main list…I’m hoping that it helps us save a little bit in the salary cap during 2019…and that we are therefore able to afford some kind of free agent at the end of 2019. Doesn’t have to be a gun. Just a useful list piece who wants to come to us, perhaps to come home from interstate, hungry for premiership success.

If anyone has inside information - do you think there is a chance we can afford a low-level free agent 12 months from now?

A SELECTION OF THE 2019 FREE AGENCY POOL

Levi Casboult (Carlton)

Matthew Kreuzer (Carlton)

Stephen Hill (Fremantle)

David Swallow (Gold Coast Suns)

Stephen Coniglio (GWS Giants)

Nick Haynes (GWS Giants)

Adam Tomlinson (GWS Giants)

Grant Birchall (Hawthorn)

Liam Shiels (Hawthorn)

Ben Stratton (Hawthorn)

Nathan Jones (Melbourne)

Majak Daw (North Melbourne)

Todd Goldstein (North Melbourne)

David Astbury (Richmond)

Brandon Ellis (Richmond)

Shane Edwards (Richmond)

Jarryn Geary (St Kilda)

Jack Newnes (St Kilda)

Shannon Hurn (West Coast Eagles)

Josh Kennedy (West Coast Eagles)

Nic Naitanui (West Coast Eagles)

Brad Sheppard (West Coast Eagles)

We’re going with 39 on the main list

Have to pay much more for free agents these days and if he was one and only $800k offered GWS would have easily been able to match so would have forced a trade (thus picks needed)

What we paid for him will ultimately prove well worth it IMO.

I was relying on Dodoro’s statement in one of his videos that we were going with 38…and I may have made an error, but I think I get 38 as well…

• Main list = 38 (started with 40…delisted Goddard, Green, Jerrett, Colyer, Leuenberger…down-graded Dea…assuming McKernan upgraded…drafted Mosquito, Gown, Ham)
  • Rookie list = 5 (Draper, Mynott, Dea, Jok…and I assume Zac Clarke will be added here)
  • Rookie B list = 2 (McNiece, Lavender)

So…I’m feeling like we will still have the Rookie list space for the mid-year draft…and one more Rookie B space.

Happy to be corrected.

Shiel?

That’s a pretty big oversight, isn’t it.

So…our list is full…Dea and Zac Clarke closes the door for us on any participation in the mid-season draft.

And the split will be 39+5+2…unless McKernan somehow remains on the rookie list, in which case it will be 38+6+2.

1 Like

Reflecting on things…the fact that all of Dea, McNiece and Long have managed stay on our list…is pretty bonkers to me.

4 Likes

I’m not sure it’s bonkers.

You look at all our draftees and not one really will be ready to genuinely impact for a few years. They are all longer term propositions which is what vast majority of 17/18yr olds are.

Whereas all of those 3 you mentioned IF needed to be called upon as depth can impact, know the game plan, have experience already and proven can cope with AFL level training loads/fitness etc.

Can be serviceable role players as required

3 Likes

I think jackets has done very well (again) this year.

Stays in the job for mine.

3 Likes

Yep. I would’ve only kept McNeice.

But given you expected to be able to get Shiel for 800k and no draft picks then I’ll just ignore your thoughts on what’s bonkers.

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t like the Shiel cost…well, I don’t know what $$ Shiel is being paid, but assuming it was a big figure…

My ideal list build strategy would have been:

• Take a first rounder this year
  • Take a first rounder next year
  • Hit the free agency market with an offer that $100k higher than what we’re paying Shiel.

Because I think we could have done all that if we simply banked the Shiel salary for another 12 months.

Sure it would have weakened the list for 2019, but I would cop that for the chance at an even stronger list from 2020 onwards.

While some may criticise Adrian for not taking any pure midfielders in the draft, I think it may have been intentional to some degree.

We brought in Shiel completing our starting midfield lineup which has a great mix of established stars (Shiel, Heppell, Merrett, Zaharakis) and potential ones (McGrath, Langford, Parish) with Zaharakis being the oldest at 29. We then have Myers who is most likely going to be a depth player, providing leadership and some mentoring to our younger players in the 2’s. Of which we have Guelfi, Clarke, Mutch, Mynott, Begley and Laverde who all have some AFL potential.

I think they will use this year to see and determine which of these guys are a realistic shot of making it at AFL level and worth keeping on the list, I wouldn’t be surprised to see 2 of this group moved on at years end and then load up on couple pure midfielders in the draft

1 Like