Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

Pies dominated 95% of the match if Dom Sheed didn’t kick the match winner Pies would have won. don’t think West Coasts talls made that big of a diffrence.

And if the pies miss one more then west coast win by an extra goal. Pointless hypotheticals can go both ways

And the pies dominated about 1 quarter in total

3 Likes

You clearly didn’t watch much of the grand final

3 Likes

LOL

Also I don’t think eagles wear blue and yellow

Have you figured in our players that have reached their peak and are on as downward trajectory, in your 2020-and-onward calculations?

How the hell can you say that Collingwood’s list was better than WC’s when WC actually won? If anything, they were equal. This is quintessential half-empty thinking.

2 Likes

Surely this discussion is moot when we have both?

2 Likes

Our list is one of the best we have had for decades, as good as any in the league, full marks to DODORO and crew for this.
Our list has a great mix of some excitement machines, AA, good players and role players. Some good up and comers.
Our culture and standards seem good
We have found our natural game, as per the last 12-14 games this year.

In my mind, its now up to the fitness/performance team and the coaches to bring home some flags.

If we dont finish in the top 4-5 next year and get deep into the finals, then serious questions must be asked.

#noexcuses

6 Likes

Careful…

3 Likes

It was bound to happen. WC had it locked in their forward 50 for ages. Several shots at goal before Sheed finally nailed one

I actually had it the other way. Pies came out of the blocks hard and really had the first half of the first quarter. They managed to be up 5 goals to 2 points with 8 to go in the first. From there West Coast kicked 2 goals in the rest of the first quarter and slowly took control of the game.

Towards the end, I thought it was the height of the Eagles that kept them on top.

3 Likes

From July to September WCE beat pies 3 times and 2x at MCG. They were running over the top of the pies in the GF and only poor kicking around goal stopped them from winning by more. It was a shock, but they were the best team in 2018.
Pies were very good v tigers, but only flashy on GF day. I think Ds will go past them next year.

1 Like

Pies were lucky to get the Tigers when they were suffering with injury. Dusty couldn’t run. They had no one to go with Cox in the backline.

West Coast was the best team for the year, Adelaide was too the year before. Darling, Kennedy and their backs were vital throughout the day and Collingwood’s lack of talls cost them.

There are clearly two different game styles being employed by the best teams currently, the Richmond/Collingwood small ball model/high pressure and the Adelaide/WestCoast model build around a strong spine with a dangerous, well balanced forward line. Richmond has just brought in Lynch btw.

And fwiw I don’t think Dodoro and co are trying to emulate either of the two models, I pretty sure they are trying to combine them and the scary thing is, we have the cattle to do it.

6 Likes

The Eagles taller targets were absolutely a key factor that Collingwood struggled to contain but ultimately I think the game was won by WC in the middle. Shuey was clearly the best mid on the ground & Sheed had more footy than any Collingwood player. The midfield that got Collingwood there failed them on the big stage with Sidebottom in particular having one of the worst games of his career & Grundy well below what we saw in every lead up game.

Overall I pretty much agree with Humble NSW Fan - The list right now is the best its been for 15 years so failure to make/win finals in 2019 isn’t because the list isn’t good enough. Dodoro deserves credit for that as he’s radically improved the lists quality in 2 years of trading. Adding 4 players all with high to elite ability in their positions has been excellent work. I fear we may have slightly overpaid for Shiel but maybe like Smith he can exceed expectations & then the cost becomes irrelevant.

4 Likes

On Grundy, I think part of his issue was the WCE talls - I.e. he had to take on two rucks who were therefore much fresher.

1 Like

And that was West Coast without NicNat

Shiel is our best Midfielder.

Was #1 I felt at the Giants up until maybe last year when Kelly came into his own.

I think our mid group is now capable when fully fit to match it with GWS, Collingwood,Melbourne. Perhaps not beat, but at least provide pressure and win enough ball to enable our back six to really flourish.(which it can be best in comp and potentially win a flag for us).

I am a little concerned about our class passing inside 50. I still think ZMerret is our only elite mid by foot. Will miss that aspect from Goddard.

Langford is very good at that so expect him to step up a but more from that perspective. But with Smith, Shiel, Zerret, Zaka you will see that area improve.

1 Like

Tippa is also very capable of sublime delivery by foot, although he operates on reduced time in the midfield. Raz is no slouch either.